Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Making an embossing checklist!        (Topic#1577081)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

I've decided to try embossing. I think it's the "wet" kind, with the powders and whatnot. I wanted to post the list of item I think I truly need to get started to make sure I don't forget anything.... OR learn that one brand is definitely worth more investment than another.

So, I think I need:

An embossing stamp pad -- Yes? There are pads out there that are ONLY for embossing?

Stamps -- already got plenty to start practicing

Embossing Powder

Heating tool

That's about all, yes?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to MommaSaid

Yes. I recommend the inkssentails Ranger embossing pad. You can also use any slow drying ink to emboss over including Distress in and pigment inks like Colorbox.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Manda_K

Ditto to what Manda said. You can also use Versa Mark to stamp & emboss with.

I'm real tempted to try the Lindy's embossing powder that SB.com has started carrying. I've heard they are superb for stamping.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to flintridgescrapper

What they said!

Also-keep in mind that you can use colored inks with clear powders. That will give you the versatility without a huge investment in the powders....at first.

Have fun!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-31-12 09:27 AM
In response to flintridgescrapper

I've been wanting to try this too. I got a heat tool with my 40% off coupon, but have had a very hard time finding the right ink. I've gathered from these forums that the brand of ink is very important, but the recommended brands seem to always be out of stock at Ms and Js.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Vae

Oooh! Such great information! Thank you, all! I have many Distress Inks and I thought I'd try going clear at first.

I also want to try my hand at embossing chipboard shapes... OOOH! Has anyone ever tried embossing their kid's name on his/her toys? That would save me SO many tiny alphas.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to MommaSaid

if you don't already have one, you might want a heat-resist craft mat, like the one by Tattered Angels (they have a smaller one, but I have the big one cause I make a huge mess).

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to MommaSaid

I also found one of the clear ink embossing pens is helpful for some things. Inkessentials makes one.

You will love it, it's fun!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Oooh! Such great information! Thank you, all! I have many Distress Inks and I thought I'd try going clear at first.

I also want to try my hand at embossing chipboard shapes... OOOH! Has anyone ever tried embossing their kid's name on his/her toys? That would save me SO many tiny alphas.

wouldn't a sharpie be easier?

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Tina scraps

I do have a pretty nifty mat, now.... Thanks to sb.com!

.... Just thinking with my fingers. I see that I need to "dump" the powder over the image with a larger piece of paper underneath, to help return the rest of the powder back to the jar.

And, yeah, if I fall in love with embossing, I'm investing in the powders by Lindy's Stamp Gang.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

• Tina scraps Said:
  • MommaSaid Said:

wouldn't a sharpie be easier?

If DS didn't posses some freaky skills at making a mess, it might make sense.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
I also found one of the clear ink embossing pens is helpful for some things. Inkessentials makes one.

You will love it, it's fun!

Hmm...

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Right! The heating mat! I keep the Ranger one in my crop bag to take with me when I go to crops, but on my table at home I have a non stick oven liner.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
I do have a pretty nifty mat, now.... Thanks to sb.com!

.... Just thinking with my fingers. I see that I need to "dump" the powder over the image with a larger piece of paper underneath, to help return the rest of the powder back to the jar.And, yeah, if I fall in love with embossing, I'm investing in the powders by Lindy's Stamp Gang.

Except in the case of Distress Embossing Powders. They have release crystals and you want to throw those away. Otherwise, you'll eventually end up with a jar full of crystals and no embossing powder.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-31-12 09:51 AM
In response to MommaSaid

Note that the powder you use will make a difference in your happiness!

Whatever embossing powder M's sells was a total FAIL for me. I'm not sure I like Distress Embossing powders either. So, hating the whole thing, my embossing stuff sat unused for a while, total waste of money, and I was tempted to just give it all away.

Then on a whim I ordered some Lindy's recently and I am in LOVE! I ordered more not soon after. Must have all the colors!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to MommaSaid

I love the clear ink embossing pens. I bought a two-pack w/fine-tip & brush-tip by Ranger, but I don't see them in the superstore. I use the fine tip for swirls and lines on pp to add a little glitz to the background. Also works great for embossing handwriting.

One thing to remember with the heat mat...it's not a cutting mat Don't ask me how I know...

Have fun with your experimenting. I'm definitely no expert, but I've been pleased with the results I've gotten.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:

I don't know whether that would work, but here are my personal experiences with embossing on plastics: For one of the pages in my Book of Me, I was able to emboss on a blank CD. Some plastics are really sensitive to the heat gun though; I tried heat embossing on some clear arrows by Applie Pie Memories and it really warped them.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to aquabunny

The Lindy's powders are the BEST I have tried. They are very nice, even coverage, nice melt point, smooth, just gorgeous!

I emboss a ton of stuff, from regular stamps to Grungeboard.

I forgot about the mat, it is a must. I use mine all the time, I never put it up, I just have to clean it a lot.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Manda_K

Even with the larger paper underneath, I tend to make a mess, so I recently bought a small, funnel type thing from michael's to catch catch the powder and pour it back in to the jar.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut

I really like "Perfect Medium" for embossing, I have had nothing but good luck with it!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics