Username Post: Stickles, Glossy Accents, Glimmer Mist, Oh my!        (Topic#1577085)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-31-12 01:29 PM

I have been wanting to add something a little extra to my pages, but I am overwhelmed with choices. It seems like Stickles, Glossy Accents, and Glimmer Mist are all almost a little similar. If I had to choose only one of these, which is best? Or are they really totally different and I just don't realize it?

Thanks!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

They are indeed all different, but all fun in their own ways

Stickles are glitter glue in bottles that have teeny tiny openings so you can apply as thin (or thick!) a line as you like. Lots of colors to choose from.

Glossy Accents is a liquid glue, but can also be used to give an epoxy look to chipboard, die cuts etc. It can also be tinted with ink.

Glimmer Mist is an ink spray with shimmer and comes in loads of wonderful colors.

Have fun experimenting!

Edited by Kim222 on 05-31-12 01:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-31-12 02:04 PM
In response to Vae

I use Stickles sometimes, but I'm not crazy about them. Related to Stickles are Liquid Pearls and Enamel Accents. They are all nice for a dot or a line of product.

I adore sprays, and they come in SO MANY colors and finishes - glimmery, glittery, matte, sheer, opaque. I did not like them when I first tried them, but after a few uses I guess I discovered the trick or something because I fell in love.

I think having some of each type of product is most helpful. The most versatile yet minimal collection, imo, would be to have a spray that adds glimmer without adding color, and then some combination of other products that give you a metallic tone (gold/silver/copper - whatever would work with your style most), something black or at least quite dark, something white or pearl, and a couple of products in colors that you use most often.

Then once you've used these you'll learn what you like the most and you'll need all the colors

Edited by stick on 05-31-12 02:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to stick

I have tons of stickles but rarely use them. Then my friend Guylou taught me a trick so that you don't have to buy tons of colors if you don't have the money or room. Draw the line or whatever with a colored marker, then use diamond or other clear stickles over the top. The color from the marker will come through and you'll still have your bling, too.

So, go buy diamond or another clearish stickles color, and put the rest into glossy accents and glimmer mists. LOL

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to siameseplease

I use all of the above sometimes...
I use Stickles a lot...I use small dots of it as the centre for flowers, to highlight around paper, to highlight stars or snowflakes, I "paint" it on to add sparkle.....
The spray I use the most is Ranger's pearl mist, I use a lot of Stickles colours but most common are black diamond and frosted lace. I use Glossy Accents all the time and I also use Enamel Accents in white and black. Liquid Pearls is also great for flowers and highlighting around paper.....

Santa By Kiyawinn

Things we love about Summer! By Kiyawinn

Alison

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to kiyawinn

I have used them all but tend to use my stickles more. I've started to use my glossy accents a lot lately too. The more I use it the more I love it. The sprays I haven't quite gotten use to. I tend to use too much or not enough and don't get the affect I want on a page. Practice is all I need.

mschiddy
Resident
mschiddy
In response to olleharr

I love all 3 for different reasons! In my opinion, glossy accents are the most versatile. You can use them as a really strong adhesive for holding plastic or metal embellishments onto cardstock. You can use them to make an epoxy look like someone already mentioned. You can put down some glossy accents and mix alcohol inks into them for a fun effect. You can coat a die cut in glossy accents then sprinkle on clear, ultra fine glitter to get a cool sugary look.

Stickles are great for just a little bit of bling. They can really add a fun touch of sparkle to projects without the mess of loose glitter. Both Stickles and glossy accents need drying time, so make sure you have time to set them aside before touching or using your items.

Glimmer mist has glue in it, so it's great if you are making hand rolled 3D spiral flowers. The glue in the glimmer mist helps the flower hold its shape once the mist dries and gives a pretty shimmery effect. Glimmer mist gives a more subtle, pearlescent sparkle to projects than Stickles or loose glitters would. There are also Perfect Pearls sprays by Ranger that give the same
effect as the glimmer mist.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to mschiddy

I didn't know glimmer mist had glue in it. I always like to learn new things from the posts here.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to mschiddy

• mschiddy Said:

Glimmer mist has glue in it, so it's great if you are making hand rolled 3D spiral flowers. The glue in the glimmer mist helps the flower hold its shape once the mist dries and gives a pretty shimmery effect.

It has glue in it? Hmmmm, didn't know that either. I wonder what kind of glue it is.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-06-12 12:44 PM
In response to tinacome

Well I ordered some stickles on Js when they were having their sale. I still haven't got my order yet, but then I went to Ms and got a pack of 3. I also picked up some glossy accents, black and white enamel, and something crackle from Js- all for 50% off. I can't wait to try them out!

While I was there I saw something called Smooch. I have searched here to see pages that have used it, but I can't tell which part of the layout is the Smooch. Does that do kind of the same thing but without glitter?

Thanks everyone!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

Smooch is a glimmery paint. Kinda like Glimmer Mist with a brush. Just another version of fun

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Kim222

You are talking about all my faves!

Smooch is like nail polish consistency with a brush. It has a metallic sheen. I love Smooch!

Stickles are good in small doses (imo) but not good for covering large things. I prefer Distress Stickles to the regular ones.

Glimmer Mist is great and I have a ton but I actually prefer the Lindy's sprays to Glimmer Mist. There are a lot of spray choices out there and they are all a little different. Lindy's has more color than Glimmer Mist, Mister Hueys has no glimmer and is really opaque, Flat Fabios from Lindy's also have no sparkle, but I haven't tried them yet. Their Moon Shadow mists are two toned (brown and the color) and are fabulous as well as the Starburst sprays.

Glossy Accents is the perfect glue for me. I use it as glue, but also for a lot of other applications as well. I cover small chippies or use it to put a shiny accent on something.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-07-12 06:53 AM
In response to Manda_K

The Flat Fabios are really really pretty. The new Glimmer Mist Plain Jane's are fantastic as well - Especially the opaque Baseboard ones, I'm definitely going to get more!

Resident
In response to stick

I love using stickles... I have some mists -- but it seems every time I used them, it warps my paper/pages... am I doing something wrong??

Resident
In response to tshelly

I have the mists - but rarely use them - it seems every time I do, it warps the paper/page. Am I doing something wrong??

RedSquirrel
Idol
RedSquirrel
In response to tshelly

No you're not doing anything wrong. If you add lots of wet to paper, it will warp. You could try thicker card-stock/paper, or less spray. Or try several very thin layers, allowing proper drying in between.

Stickles shouldn't warp the paper unless you're putting on a big thick layer over a significant area. If you are, try putting it on more thinly with a brush.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to RedSquirrel

I love stickles, they add just enough effect on flowers or me magnolia dollies. There are store brands that are similar to stickles but for some reason they are either too watery or the glitters are too big. With stickles, it has a tiny hole, tiny glitters and isnt watery at all, just perfect.

I also have glimmer mists and tho I already used them lots, it always seems I stay stuck in using them.

I dont have the gloss accents so cant tell anything about them.

As far as colours, I would choose basic colours that you would use most. Like gold is great for accents on flowers, so is pink, the whites are great for winter pages and cards. thats for both stickles and glimmer mists.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to TheCharmedOne

When it comes to Glimmer Mist, you should look at the videos on youtube on how to make your own. It is a pricy product and making your own produces a very close to the same result.

amancuso
Diva
amancuso
In response to ktmracing

I have all three of these products and since it's already been explained as to what each is/does, I'll just tell you my preference. I use way more glimmer mist than stickles or glossy accents. I love the extra added speacial something they give my pages!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics