Username Post: Former Scrapbook Phobic Converted        (Topic#1577135)
CalebIsMyHero
Resident
CalebIsMyHero

Hi! I was a scrapbook phobic person. I never thought it was something I could do or would even enjoy doing. I had friends try to get me started, but I always had an excuse why it wasn't for me. I'd even "tried" making a scrapbook page at a MOPs (Mothers of Pre-schoolers) meeting. We only had 45 minutes & it took me almost all that time just trying to pick a piece of paper! So, I got discouraged & added another excuse to my list.

My entire world was turned upside down on 10.10.10, when my 5-yr old son, Caleb, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He passed away 5 1/2 months later on March 25, 2011.

In March 2012, we attended a bereavement camp designed for families who have lost a child. There is a session designed just for the moms to create a scrapbook page to memorialize their child. We had over 2 hours to gather materials & all weekend to finish it. That day, I discovered a desire inside to SHOW how much my son meant to me. My love for him came pouring out on paper in photos & words. It was very therapeutic for me (and still is), so much so that when left camp, I asked my husband if I could start scrapbooking and buy some materials. From the end of March until mid-May, I gathered materials, shopped yard sales & found whatever deals I could on all things scrapbook related.

I am embarking on a new journey - one of memories to share. I created my first "official" scrapbook page (outside of camp) on May 30, 2012. It only took me 2 hours because I could already picture in my head what I wanted it to look like. I feel alive while recreating these memories. I laugh & I cry as I remember.

Thanks for welcoming me to the wonderful world of scrapbooking. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I go along.

Angel

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to CalebIsMyHero

Welcome, your story is very moving and so happy that this little hobby can help you some. Look forward to seeing you around and enjoying some of your work.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Welcome!
I am so sorry to hear about your son. I cannot imagine what you've been through....
You will find a wealth of information here, lots of great people to answer questions/chat and lots of inspiration for layouts....
Watch out for the enabling, though! Especially if you don't have a lot of supplies yet....you'll find lots of things to buy..LOL!

Alison

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to kiyawinn

Hugs and welcome to the wacky world of scrapbooking. You will find supportive gals and a guys from every walk of life here. All kinds of events are scrappped - both happy and sad. But above all, we are taking our memories and preserving them for the future. I look forwrd to seeing pictures of your beloved son Caleb.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to theellenbee

That has to be the most beautiful reason to scrap I have ever heard of. I am so happy that you found a way to show your love that is still there for your son.

Create and love the process.....we are here for you and you found a home here.

Welcome and thanks for sharing this with us. It will never leave me now. Hugs.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to PhotobearSam

thank you for sharing your story. So glad that scrapbooking was able to help you with your grieving. It really touched my heart.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to ncyankee

Welcome to sb.com. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine that pain. This hobby can be extremely therapeutic, and I am glad you have found it to be so for you.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to siameseplease

So sorry about Caleb, how wonderful you have found a way to perserve your memories that can bring you joy.
Scrapbooking is very addictive, once you start you never stop! Welcome to the wonderful world of SB.com! Lots of friendly, helpful people here, don't hesitate to ask questions

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to crazycricut

Welcome to our world of scrapbooking. There is a wealth of information here, so don't be afraid to ask any question. So sorry for the loss of your son Caleb. I look forward to seeing some of your memories of him on your scrapbook pages. Hope this scrapbooking journey will help with your healing process.

CalebIsMyHero
Resident
CalebIsMyHero
In response to SandraB.

Thanks everyone. After reading through a couple articles on here, my scrapbooking has come to a screeching halt. I just discovered today that the 4 photo albums I've been using are ruining my pics & I'm frantically trying to get them all removed as soon as possible. I've posted pics of my first two layouts in my gallery. Hope those will hold you all over until I get past my emergency break. I certainly don't want to ruin any of my pics more than has been done already. I have my dental floss at my side and am ready to tackle this.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

I peeked at your pages and they are so heartwarming! What a precious little boy you were blessed with! Hugs to you and your family, and welcome to Scrapbook.com!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to flintridgescrapper

I am so very sorry for your loss,,,,,words evade me.

I can't imagine the pain,,,,,,,,he was a precious child. How fitting a way to memorialize the life he led.

Hugs,,,,,,,,,,and welcome to sb.com!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to CommaHolly

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. It is a moving story.

On a much happier note, welcome to scrapbooking!

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to KatieJo

I read your blog and was in tears. Thank you for sharing, and I think scrap-booking Caleb's memory is a perfect thing to do.

CalebIsMyHero
Resident
CalebIsMyHero
In response to RedSquirrel

• RedSquirrel Said:
I read your blog and was in tears. Thank you for sharing, and I think scrap-booking Caleb's memory is a perfect thing to do.

Thanks Rosey. I'm glad you got a glimpse of the life he lived. Hopefully, through scrapbooking, I'll be able to show people a better look at the happier times of his life.

Angel

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

Welcome! So sad to hear that your foray into scrapping began out of such tragic circumstances. I hope that you can continue healing and if scrapping helps you in that, AMAZING!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

You just brought tears to my eyes. But congratulations on choosing to embark on a new journey. I hear your pain about your photo albums. I just removed photos from over 20 huge albums for the same reason. What a pain! I would rather be scrapping for sure. I still have six to do that are going to require UnDo, hairdryer and a little more elbow grease. Good that you are removing them sooner than later.

I purchased two Iris cases similar to this Cropper Hopper to organize my photos in. On top that, my hubby is helping me scan them all in so we will have digital files AND he got me Corel Paintshop for my birthday. I have so much to do!
Products Referenced in This Post:

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to CrimsonMama

Welcome to the Scrappers World. What a heartfelt story....Me heart goes out to you. I know the feeling all too well. I lost mine before it even began. It's a difficult time to go thru, even more when you had time to spend together. I never got to know me child like you did. Never had pictures, only one single Ultrasound picture.

Scrapping is a great way to deal with all the emotions. So embrace it and let your creativity flow

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to TheCharmedOne

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find the peace and solace you're looking for in scrapbooking. It can be very theraputic and comforting to put together wonderful memories of your loved one into a scrapbook. I started scrapbooking about a month after my father passed away. I inherited all of his childhood photos and I just felt such comfort when I looked at them. Scrapbooking them was a wonderful emotional journey for me and really helped me in healing. It made me feel even closer to my dad. I wish you the best and hope that scrapbooking will bring you comfort also.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics