Username Post: OLD Photo book from my 87 yr old DAD        (Topic#1577141)
daisy2doo
Resident
daisy2doo

My Dad gave me a photo book that has pic's from the turn of the century. The book is on some type of black paper and the pictures just about crumble when you touch them. They all have the corner things on them.
I want to re-do the book but not sure what type of paper to use. The book is not 12 x 12 but I can cut any paper. Not sure where to start. These are some real priceless pictures! And Album!
Can I send pictures of the album on here? How?

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to daisy2doo

First thing I would do is get them scanned - do the whole page if you need to and use photo editing to crop down to the pictures. If you can it sounds like you then need to try and salvage the original pictures as best you can if the pages are crumbling to bits. With scanned photos you could really go anywhere you wanted from there...Good luck ....I love old photographs they are such a treasure.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 06-01-12 04:24 PM
In response to daisy2doo

I would suggest taking pics of each photo and then use those and keep the old album intact.

daisy2doo
Resident
daisy2doo
In response to Sherrenae

I have scanned a few and they turned out great. What type of paper would you use? What is in there now is black and the pictures look great. There are a few with model T cars that say just married with my great, great Grandpa! Thanks for the response.

daisy2doo
Resident
daisy2doo
In response to charK

Never even thought of that one!

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to daisy2doo

I'd say scan the whole page if necessary too then get copies printed of the pics in black and white or maybe even some in sepia

then you can scrap them however you'd like without worrying about hurting the originals - keep a copy of them on a disc too for backup

daisy2doo
Resident
daisy2doo
In response to Ohio4HMom

I think that is what I am going to do. To fragil for individual scanning. The paper they are on now is an oddball size but I am excited to get started. Thanks for all the ideas. I am going to try them all and see what works best.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to daisy2doo

Scan the pages if you can so you have the pictures

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to daisy2doo

Definitly take photos if you are afraid to scan. Scanning would be great but if you can't do that. In this case, since you have such crumbling photos that are valuable, I would work just with reprints of your photos/scans. I would contact a public library to talk about preserving the original work-how-to's. You might can find a lot about that on line.

BTW, if the work has historical significance to a local library, they would love to have copies in their history of the area.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics