Username Post: expo help        (Topic#1577143)
Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 06-01-12 05:07 PM

I am thinking about attending the Valley Forge PA scrapbooking expo. I have never been to one before and I am thinking I don't want to do workshops the first time because I don't want to worry about getting some where at a specified time. is this unheard of? is there enough to do to fill the day if I don't go to workshops?
Can you tell me about your expo experiences?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Cinj

I have been to the Great American Scrapbook Convention and to CKC. Both times, I didn't take any workshops. I just shopped and did the make and takes. There's usually tons of vendors, and many of them have examples of their product hanging around (LOs made with their papers, cards, tags, etc). You can get inspiration from that, do some make n takes, and shop. Sounds like a great way to spend a day to me! Have fun!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to siameseplease

I have attended expos for several years now. The first two years I took the workshops and had a great time because I was just learning. I now just go for the shopping. There will be vendors that have make n takes and that will keep you busy and then there is the shopping. Also watching the demonstrations will take up some time too. Enjoy!

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to Cinj

I've been to the one in New Jersey twice. I watch the demonstrations, but don't do them or workshops. I only shop (with a couple of friends). We are probably there for 2-3 hours. There is usually one vendor that we linger at for 1/2 an hour or so. I rarely did stamping, but one booth got me hooked!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to leslief

I've only been once, I did do the classes, found them to be a waste, not trying to be mean, but I got nothing out of them.
We were there for 2 days, we stayed the night at the hotel were it was held, but we had plenty to do. Lots of shopping, watching demos, doing make and takes, chatting, lunch- then at night it was time to scrap!!

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to ChansGram

You don't have to do workshops, I have done some the years I have went and one year we just did shopping. This year we did a workshop that we just listened to her explaining new products from companies. We got a huge bag of goodies for a $20, which covered the workshop and the price of admission. Then we paid $17 per person for the workshop, so the workshop vendor received like $27 per person and we received approx. $75-100 worth of product each. It was well worth it.

But I have also just spent the day wondering around the vendors, buying their stuff and doing make and takes at some tables. Plus you take breaks for lunch and dinner.

Have fun hun.

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to TJCraftyWitch

Do most of you crop at the expos? Debating whether I want to schlep all my tools with me to the Chicago expo in august!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to LesleyC

Had we not been there for 2 days, including staying there overnight, we wouldn't have. But that was the fun of it, many hours of uninterrupted scrap time, well, without the hubby and/or kids bugging! There was still plenty of distractions!

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to LesleyC

• LesleyC Said:
Do most of you crop at the expos? Debating whether I want to schlep all my tools with me to the Chicago expo in august!

Do you have any details on the one in Chicago? I am thinking I would really like to go this year! I have never been before b/c it always fell at the time I had to move at least one kid into college but this year should be different- only one kid to move and she is moving in early.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to crazycricut

Love to crop at the Expos, IF I take a class it is a 'technique' class...not layout classes. The one I took last year by Faber Castille was terrific.

They do have cricut machines, but bring your own mat.

Also love the perk of being able to shop an hour before the 'crowds' with the crop band.

I go to the Santa Clara one, and it is my yearly trip. Though the parking is good there..I still stay at the adjoining hotel.

siiigh, can't wait till August!

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30
In response to Cinj

• Cinj Said:
I am thinking about attending the Valley Forge PA scrapbooking expo. I have never been to one before and I am thinking I don't want to do workshops the first time because I don't want to worry about getting some where at a specified time. is this unheard of? is there enough to do to fill the day if I don't go to workshops?
Can you tell me about your expo experiences?

I have been going to the Valley Forge CKC for the last 3 years and parking is scarce, but I don't mind the walk. The first year I went I only did some shopping but the last two years I have been taking classes on cards, layouts, and Copic markers. I am still trying to decide if I should go or not to the Scrapbook Expo. You will have fun meeting new people and seeing new products from CHA 2012, I have been Youtube-ing everything I want to get so far it's the Sizzix flip it card. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Thaiti30

My sister and I usually go to the scrapbook expo when it comes to my area. We spend the morning shopping (the vendors have downsized quite a bit over the years), then lunch and hit up a few scrapbook stores in that local area.

ckair 
Resident
  • ckair on 06-06-12 12:52 PM
In response to Thaiti30

These look so neat! Does anyone know Will they work in my cuttlebug?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to ckair

I've never been to one, but it sounds like so much fun, I may have to check it out!!

Here's a thread I found about it with some info you may find helpful :

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15692...

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to Kim222

Love going to the Expos to shop - so many new things to try out! I haven't done any of the classes because I've always been so busy buying!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas
In response to SueLovesToScrap

To me, workshops are a BIG waste of time and money. I took one where you can create an album in 2 hours, plus they give you all the supplies. Since the class was already formatted and you follow the exact instructions (ie. everyone's album will look the same) I felt there was no creativity. Plus I felt like I just slapping stuff together and was VERY rushed to get the album done in the alloted time.

I'd rather spend the time and money shopping for supplies. Make and takes are pretty cool too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics