Username Post: books on scrapbooking        (Topic#1577161)
New Kid On the Block

what are the best books to get on scrapbooking for ideas, layouts, floor plans & so on. as I'm new & haven't a clue as there's so many choices to choose from. suggestions are welcome

Edited by leahross on 06-02-12 10:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to leahross

I have spent a lot of money on books over the years, and most of those I could have easily lived without and not noticed the loss. However, two that I have found indispensable are both published by Making Memories: (1) The Scrapbook Designer’s Workbook by Kari Hansen; and (2) The Scrapbooker’s Essential Guide to Color. I knew when I looked at pictures of layouts what I liked and what I didn’t like, but I didn’t know why something appealed to me and something else did not. The first book taught me principles that made me realize there were reasons for my likes and dislikes. Once you learn those principles, you can use them like any other tool to help you create designs that you like. These are not rules set in concrete; but after acquainting yourself with them, you will know when you can bend or break them and still have a design that pleases the eye. After reading this book (wire bound hardback; 124 pages, including 3 pages of glossary) I also found my appreciation of other art forms increased dramatically. The first book does have a section on the use of color; but the second book goes into more depth, and I found it very helpful. I would suggest getting just the first book and then after finishing it getting the second. (The book on color is also wire bound with a hard cover.) Both books have plenty of layouts and illustrations for each topic covered. These have both been around for several years but the information is the sort of thing that does not go out of date, but you may have to Google them to find copies. Hope you find this helpful.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Ms. Fit

thanks for the feed back it's helps alot

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to leahross

This site offers a free class and it is excellent. You could save $$$ by trying it and then spending your money here on supplies.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I bought the book "Lifted" from SB.com, which shows you how to take elements from other peoples' layouts and make them your own. It is a neat thing to have. About $13 (I bought it when it was on sale for .99 with any order). I also have CardMaker's "Hand-Lettering Workbook," which gives you many different fonts for you to do by hand--great way to vary how you do your lettering. Seems no one does hand lettering. And, seriously, if I can "get" it, anyone can! Lots of cute, funky and original designs. Cool!

Kim

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to jaspernonyx

Check your library.

I like the Memory Makers' books (as Ms. Fit mentioned. They're Memory Makers, not "Making Memories").

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to Bxr-Linda

i needed this as well,... what do you think about pagemaps? i have seen them in stores but ive heard alot of positives and negatives about them. i also am wanting the "scrapbooking made simple" it looks like a good book. A good book that i own and the only scrapbooking book that i own (besides magazines) is "52 more scrapbooking challanges" it gave me alot of tips, ideas and insperation. It also gave me a good idea of my "style" of scrapbooking.

Resident
In response to ellybug312

don't spend money!! There's SO much information and inspiration online!!

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to tshelly

I have "The Big Book of Scrapbook Pages." It is basically a book full of layouts and tips. Admittedly it is similar to looking at the gallery here but sometimes it is nice to not have to sit in front of the computer for some inspiration. I bought it at Hobby Lobby with a coupon and it was probably $15.

law
law 
Veteran
law
  • law on 06-26-12 06:24 AM
In response to michelley2002

I have the close to my heart books, they are a little pricey, but i love them becase they have the plain layouts and finished layouts so you can see both a finished page and just the skectch, with placement dimmentions and such. i have their card book as well, when i get stuck that is where i go. you can print free ones on line as well, depends on what your looking for and budget i guess. I dont regret buying the books though.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to law

I started out with a few magazines but have not bought any books. There are tutorials on this site, tons of them on youtube and lots of sites with pagemaps/sketches.

Also, spend time looking at the plethora of LOs here, decide which ones you like that fit your style, and imitate them.

And there is always such great advice on this site by so many of the members here.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Ms. Fit

thanks for the info on the books i will surely look into it. I'm a real newbie to scrapbooking so every bit of advice helps !

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics