Username Post: Lighting in your kitchen?        (Topic#1577231)
RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

We're having our new kitchen fitted starting Wednesday. One thing we haven't decided yet is the under-cupboard lighting, to light the work surfaces.

As incandescent lighting is being phased out, I'm stuck with a choice between fluorescent tubes and down-lighters, and I don't like either of them.

Down-lighters don't give a big enough spread of light - I'm worried that to avoid shadows, I'll need way too many.

And I haven't had fluorescent tubes for years and years, because I used to hate the flickering and the harsh light. Having said that, things may have moved on, and fluorescent strip lights might be far more comfortable on the eye these days.

What lighting have you got under your cabinets? Do you like it?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to RedSquirrel

We have flourescent under cabinet lights but don't really use them for task lighting. They're used more for night lights or giving us a bit more light in addition to the over head lights.

I'd skip the down lights. They're more like spot lights to highlight parts on the counter.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Seaexplore

We remodeled our kitchen last year. We didn't go with under cabinet lighting, opting instead for a number of overhead cans. We went with LED. At first I thought they would not offer diffuse enough light, but we have since found the newer ones offer enough diffuse light to easily cover the kitchen without shadows. That said, where we live you have to have energy efficient lighting in order to pass inspection.

I also recently installed the same LED cans in my office/guest room/scrap space. We didn't put as many cans in the ceiling and I have some shadows in the corners, underneath shelving, but I think it is more an issue of the spacing of the lights as opposed to the lighting itself.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to Nancy Keslin

We have poor lighting in our kitchen..we have actually been talking about putting track lighting with lights that move in what ever direction we need the lighting in. My mom has them in her kitchen and I love them.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to SQ Mandi

I'm not sure what down lighting is, but we have recessed lighting plus under-the-counter (flourescent) lighting.

I love our lighting. The recessed lights are 4 on one switch which light the kitchen nicely, plus a 5th one on it's own switch that directs light directly over the sink.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to Luvmyfam

My small galley kitchen has horrible lighting. The ceiling light is comprised of 3 "spot" lights - halogen. Blinds you, casts shadows and there simply aren't enough. Not sure what I want to put up there.

Now the kitchen has been updated somewhat and has under counter lighting. Fluorescent but they work.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with other under counter lighting to help out but I have only noticed flickering when the bulb is starting to go.

Enjoy the new kitchen.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to corrie fan

Tiffany, that's what we're worried about.

Nancy, we already have the low voltage down-lighters/spots in the ceiling, and they don't cast enough light on the work surfaces. I was wondering about LEDs, and also rope lighting, but I can't seem to find any information about how much light they cast. Bring back the old days with wattage ratings!

Mandi I never heard of that, but I may have to check it out.

Jen and Jane, I'm glad you get on with fluorescent lights.

It sounds as if fluorescent is the way to go.

Thank you for your input ladies, much appreciated!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*

My bf has downlights under his cabinets... I believe they are halogen... I think they're great. They have a pretty decent light spread and really help to brighten the counter area up.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to *jesse*

Rosey, you may want to look into replacing your downlights if they are older. the new ones are so way better.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Nancy Keslin

The downlights are not 2 years old yet. They're in the ceiling, and they're great for washing up, but not for working on the work-surface under the cabinets.

We went out and looked at lighting today. What worries me about the downlights under the cabinets is that they are placed at the back and angled. I'm really short, and in the shop they were shining under the cupboard valance, right into my eyes.

We also saw some LED strips where the LEDs were placed really close together in 3 rows. They look the kind of thing I want, but I'd love to see them in action rather than just in the box. We saw some LEDs which were so cold that they looked purple.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

why can't you mount them at the FRONT of the cabinet under the trim (might have to drill into the inside of the cabinet instead of the wall) and angle them back?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Seaexplore

Good idea. I'll have to check whether the valance is deep enough, but I'll definitely consider that. Thanks!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

there is small molding that is supposed to be put along the bottom of the cabinets. this hides the light fixture and keeps the glare from hitting your eyes.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Lamoo12

• Lamoo12 Said:
there is small molding that is supposed to be put along the bottom of the cabinets. this hides the light fixture and keeps the glare from hitting your eyes.

That works if you're taller than 5ft

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
  • Lamoo12 Said:

That works if you're taller than 5ft

That's what I meant by the valance. I had no idea what else to call it!

Yes. I'm 5'2" (just) and it still shone in my eyes.

The guys are here now, and we're going to discuss lighting today, hopefully.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics