Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Finding time!!!        (Topic#1577245)
klong618
Tenant
klong618

I am relatively new to the scrapbooking world, though I have about half of an album done from our "trip down the aisle". Since our marriage last June, we have bought a house and had a baby and since our little one was born I haven't had a second to breathe let alone scrap and I miss it terribly. So to all the other moms out there how do you do it???

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-04-12 07:50 PM
In response to klong618

I'm not a mom, and I can barely find the time myself. I have no idea how mom's do anything! But I have seen things like "mommy's day out crops" and things like that. I'm guessing they have daycare for a while so that mom's can do their scrapping, but I don't know how often.

I don't have kids, but I travel for work. I sometimes only have 15 minutes here or there to work on scrapping so I try to be very organized with my projects and I have a definite "system" so that I can pick up where I left off. But I suspect this is also why so many people are 20, 30, 40 years "behind" on their scrapping.

My answer would be not to stress yourself out about it but do it when you have a little time. Soon enough, your little one will be in school and you'll have more time too

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Vae

Jarvae is pretty much right on the money.

It also helps to have an understanding partner, or friend, who can spend an hour or so each week bonding with your little one so you have a chance to do something nice for yourself.

Also, if you've got a good sleeper, you can do a bit during naps.

If it's truly an issue; just remember that baby comes first. Take pictures of moments you want to remember; jot some notes about them and remind yourself that time will come someday.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to MommaSaid

My baby is 9 years old, likes to play with his toys alone and will entertain himself with video games in short spurts, and I still don't find time to scrap. AND I even have part of a spare bedroom where all my stuff is and I can leave projects out.

Life is busy. Having a home, husband and baby to take care of can be exhausting. If you work outside the home like me, that's 9-10 hours out of every day that I can only just think about scrapping.

I tend to grab an hour or two after DS goes to bed and since DH works at 4 or 5am, he goes to bed early so I have me time. However, I usually find myself folding laundry, doing dishes or just wanting downtime in front of the tv for a little before going to bed.

Anne and Jarvae gave good advice, do a little here and there, take care of baby, but remember to find time for yourself. I can tell when I NEED scrap therapy.

Do you have a designated spot for your scrap stuff or do you have to dig it out, play, then put everything away?

The other thing that is helpful is page kits. Get some big ziplocs and when you have a little time, throw paper, pics and embellies in bags and then when you have several of those ready, you can grab one and hopefully get a page done relatively quickly. I know I spend more of my time picking paper than actually scrapping, so page kits are on my to do list.

Ok, I'm rambling. Good luck and I hope you find some time to scrap!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

They are both right on target. I remember the days very well and its hard to find anytime time for yourself when you have little ones.

Anne said something that really is good advice - to jot notes down.

You think you will remember all the cute things they said and did but you won't. If you have several children you will even forget which one said what and did what. And forget about putting a time frame on the things they said and did when you go to scrap it.

If I had it to do over I would set up a WORD file and every night type in the date and things that happened that day and what the kids did or said or even things about myself that may work into a scrap page later.

Then when you do have time to do scrapping you have all the interesting and funny stories to scrap along with your pictures.

So make notes. Anne gave good adive there.

Also when you have photos printed put them in order in a file or envelopes and put the dates and info with them so when you do scrap you are not overwhelmed trying to organize and put things in order.

One thing I do that may help you - we travel a LOT so I'm not around much. (Taking off in the next day or two for possibly over 3 months).

I develop my photos and put them in file folders by subject or event in order that I want to scrap them. The files have papers if I have a particular I know I want to use, embellies, pictures, memorbilia in them and are in a file folder holder on my desk. Of couse the 12 x 12 papers are larger than the file folders but that is okay.

When I have a minute to scrap I just pull the folder in front and everthing is there and it is organized and ready to work on. The next file in my system is the one where Bill and JOe went hiking in Hawaii. The next one is the next day when BIll and Joe and I picked up one of our friends at the Hawaii airpot.

Everything is there and I can just work on the page - I don't have to gather stuff.

When I go to crops I see women coming in with hundreds of pictures and spend hours and hours sorting and figuring out which is for which child and what order they are in and what age.

If you do it as you go along, and it only takes minutes to organize it with this system becuase you are always caught up with the organizing - then when you are ready to scrap, its organized and you can actually start selecting papers (if you haven't chosen them already) and start scrapping.

If you don't want to scrap chronologically, and you don't have to - then you can skip around and pull any file you want to - its still together and organized.

I write the event and date in heavy black marker on the front of each file and then cross it out and use the same files over and over.

Good luck!

Scrapping to be Done By Henri Jean

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to klong618

I completely agree with everyones tips. I have 3 kids (9,6,2) and I work as well. Finding time to scrap is sooo hard and I am still juggling trying to find a way to fit it in inbetween softball and schoolwork and household duties and laundry. UGGG! I usually try to work on it weekend evenings after the kids go to bed (usually around 9). I would do weekday evenings but I am usually just too exhausted by 9 that I can't get up the energy to dig it out (not to mention I have to be at work by 7). I am currently making books for all 3 of my kids and have finally come to terms that they may be 18 before I get their books done and if I stress about it I then I just don't want to scrap. Plan on not being caught up, generally life will always come first, take each moment at a time (if you journal remember to jot it down) but most of all remember to ENJOY it, after all that's why you are doing it!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:

Anne said something that really is good advice

I'm putting this in my fridge!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
  • Henri Jean Said:

Anne said something that really is good advice

I'm putting this in my fridge!

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to pugs223

I have nooo time to scrap lol!! I have three boys under 5!! I like to go through a paper pack and pick out what I like to fussy cut, I fussy cut a lot!! If your just cutting you can do this almost anywhere!! I've taken it outside to doctors offices!! I get wierd looks lol!! But you gotta do what you gotta do!! I also have the gallon zippered bags to hold all the stuff I cut for the same project!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-05-12 06:06 PM
In response to simplycrafty

Just another thought... you might try digital scrapping for some things. I personally am a traditional scrapper, but I have heard many digital scrappers say they like it because they get more done. They don't have to bother with getting all their supplies out, don't have to go to the LSS to pick up adhesive because they ran out in the middle of the night, can take their laptop with them to wherever... this might be an option for you if you have a digital camera and don't have a ton of memorabilia. If you have some, you can scan it and still include it in your LOs and then order printed scrapbooks. This might work for you, but I don't know. I know that I like to touch the papers and embellies and the scrapping itself is what I enjoy, but I have made a few digital albums when I really needed to have something quickly.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Vae

Lots of good advice. I'm a firm believer that nobody FINDS time- you have to make time for what matters to you.

klong618
Tenant
klong618
In response to cindy312

Wow everyone there really are some great suggestions and a few questions I wanted to respond to.

We just moved into our new home in November and thankfully it came with 3 bedrooms so presently our guest room is also my scrap room with a large desk so I can leave things out on it to work on. I have tried digital scrapping but honestly I am more of a hold the paper in my hands kind of girl.

I will be looking into the 1 gallon ziplocks you all mentioned. Henri I think your idea of a word doc with notes from the day is an amazing idea!!! Last night my son did like 6 new things and I definitely don't want to forget them! This has definitely been helpful and also helped me come to terms with the fact I'm not the only trying to figure out this balance.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to klong618

Mine are 8 and 9 years old and go to school during the day. I tend to keep me Thursdays free for crafts. Sometimes I also do crafts on Tuesdays. The other days I keep for grocery shopping, household chores and everything else.
You gotta allow some YOU time otherwise you'll go crazy. I'm chronically ill and go to therapy sessions. One of the therapists really had to learn me to make time for meself. Because of the illness, I always felt guilty for doing something for meself instead of doing the house or do something with the kids. How I do it now, do crafts when they at school, I dont have to feel guilty for not spending that time with the kids nor spend it at household chores cause I do enough of that during the rest of the week.
With a new born, they ask for a lot of attention, feeding, changing daipers ect and when they start walking and touching things, its even more time consuming. I also understand that when yer child is sleeping, you'll be exhausted. Maybe try having a day where your baby spends the day with your spouse so you can have some YOU time. That isnt strange at all and lots of couples do it that way too. Especially when they have more children. Usually the dad finds it great to have the child for himself all day since they tend to miss out a lot during their workhours.
This is just an idea

Congrats on your marriage and the baby. Enjoy the time and dont worry too much about not being able to scrap, that time will come again.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Henri Jean

I develop my photos and put them in file folders by subject or event in order that I want to scrap them. The files have papers if I have a particular I know I want to use, embellies, pictures, memorbilia in them and are in a file folder holder on my desk. Of couse the 12 x 12 papers are larger than the file folders but that is okay.

If you don't want to scrap chronologically, and you don't have to - then you can skip around and pull any file you want to - its still together and organized.

I write the event and date in heavy black marker on the front of each file and then cross it out and use the same files over and over.

Scrapping to be Done By Henri Jean

I think I have this same black metal file thing stored somewhere....Hum??? Now where did I put that!!!

Resident
In response to wilbur

My son is 2 1/2 and I am a single mom who works 45 hours a week I stick to a pretty tight schedual.. everything has days its gets done on to keep my house in order.. but I do have one rule... 1 hour every day is mine.. sometimes that hour is when he naps.. other times it is after he goes to bed at 7:30 we are up at 5:30 am to get ready for daycare and work during the week... its not easy but you will eventually find a schedual that works for you.. then the child will start extra curricular activities and the schedual will be all blown apart again

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to must_love_paper

I found when my kids were little you just have to take a 15 minute break and make it your time....If nothing else you can gather up paper. then one evening a week call it your time and talk hubby, significant other whoever that you get 2 hours that evening for you. they are responsible for the kids that 2 hours.

I even occasionally hired the neighbor girl to come in and play with my kids so I could have that time.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Sneezy1956

My little one is 3 and just like everyone else my time is short. Here are a couple of things I do to help me get scrapping done.

Every month I get photos printed. I got May photos yesterday. Once I have them I put them in the divided page protectors in chronological order. This way whenever I have time, I have photos to scrap. The other great thing about it is that the album is complete, the photos are there the memories saved, I don't feel overwhelmed by what I haven't yet done. Most of my albums only have 1/2 of the photos scrapped.

The other thing I do is scraplift like a maniac. There are a few challeges here for scraplifting.

Enjoy the baby! They grow up way too fast.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MissaOnTheRun

That is a great system Missa!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-09-12 03:16 PM
In response to MissaOnTheRun

• MissaOnTheRun Said:

Every month I get photos printed. I got May photos yesterday. Once I have them I put them in the divided page protectors in chronological order. This way whenever I have time, I have photos to scrap.

This is where I'm lacking. I never want to print photos until I'm ready to scrap them, but then I get so behind and so overwhelmed and end up spending all my time sorting through photos, editing, and printing them. I'm going to try to start this system and maybe it will help me get caught up.

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 06-09-12 06:42 PM
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
Lots of good advice. I'm a firm believer that nobody FINDS time- you have to make time for what matters to you.

I totally agree with every one. Could you ask your husband to take the baby for one hour a week and destress by scrapbooking?

My son is 20 and if I had done that years ago I wouldn't be scrapping his childhood now.

I find it is theraputic (?spelling) to spend time with my picture and paper.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics