Username Post: Point & Shoot Camera Recommendations?        (Topic#1577257)
Dianeaslm
Pro
Dianeaslm

I am going crazy trying to find a great point and shoot camera for all conditions, indoors, outdoors, macro and telephoto. I'd like enough mega pixels for printing larger pictures but not so much that the shooting speed is really slow.
Any advice out there?
Thanks

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Dianeaslm

just this week I bought a canon powershot. At least 5 people in my local scrapbook group recommended, because I was aggravated with the kodak camera I had, also because of speed. The online reviews were also good. I haven't used it much so far, so I can't totally vouch. but the one I got is 12mp, and has image stabilization up to 3200 (which makes it faster, supposedly).

good luck.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Tina scraps

There are a lot of factors that come into play with shutter lag. The number of megapixels used to be a big one but it's not anymore. And lag isn't bad on most cameras like it was just a few years ago. As far as how many megapixels... you can make nice 11 x 14 prints from a good 4 MP image so to me anything above that is good. Obviously more MP gives you more room to crop if you need later and that comes in handy when you use a point and shoot. But more MP can also mean more noise.

There are so many models out there though. The first thing I'd do is make a list of features you want. Hit sites like dpreview.com to see what is available. Then understand that getting good shots in a variety of conditions has a lot more to do with the photographer's knowledge than it does the camera they're using. Some models make it easier, but not even the most expensive camera will take great shots in any situation on auto.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to photo_chick

I recommend the Canon Powershot. That's what I have and love it! I also have a Canon Rebel and a bunch of fancy lenses, etc. but almost prefer the photos I get from my point and shoot! LOL!

ccclaw
ccclaw 
Diva
ccclaw
In response to Babylou

I've had a Canon Power Shoot for several years and it has done me well. It's an older model SD880 IS and I'm not sure if they make it any more, but the Power Shoots are always good. I had two Kodaks before and neither of them lasted that long and the pictures were definitely not as good. Good luck finding what you want. ~Alice

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-06-12 09:13 AM
In response to ccclaw

I have the Canon PowerShot S3 IS. I've gotten some really good pictures with it! I actually won 1st place on a gorgeous sunset/beach/sailboat pic that I entered in a contest last year. Since then, I purchased the Rebel T3i and I LOVE it! I know it's not a point and shoot, but the photos it takes are amazing. I've learned a lot and rarely have it on Auto. I loved the PowerShot S3 because it had a lot of manual settings you could choose, but I just felt like I kind of outgrew it. If I got anything now, I would like a pocket size point and shoot that I could carry with me for quick photos on the go.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Dianeaslm
Pro
Dianeaslm
In response to LeeLo

Thanks for all the input! Looks like people love their Canon PowerShot cameras. I tried to learn all the fancy stuff on cameras years ago with an slr and lots of lenses and stuff. I did get some really good shots however, I have been using an old Sony CyberShot for the last 15 years or so and have forgotten anything I ever learned about slrs, LOL.
Will check dpreview.com also. Thanks for all the info.

cricketnest
Diva
cricketnest
In response to Dianeaslm

I have a canon powershot sx 210 with a 14x zoom. Loved the camera when I first got it. not so much now and it is about a year and half old. I bought it after looking at alot of point and shoots. I wanted something with a long zoom that was pocket size because I go to alot of concerts. My problem with the camera now is that It tends to take alot of blurry pictures. Even if it is a sunny day. I am not sure why. It was not doing this when I first bought it. Also, with the zoom, the quality of the photos goes way down. I have to take over 200-300 shots at a concert to get a few good ones. I am looking into a new one again. sad thing is my sony cybershot that I bought over 8-9 years ago works better than the cannon. I am not sure what I am going to go with this time though. good luck. I also tend to go on amazon and other sites to see what people say about using the camera

chris

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics