Username Post: Not sure how to scrap        (Topic#1577279)
suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt

Last November my family moved from Minnesota to California. Since we didn't have any friends or family to spend Christmas with we thought it would be fun to drive to Monterey and spend the day at the ocean. It was too cold to swim, but I have lots of fun shots of them playing at the beach. My problem is I'm just not sure how to scrap them. Most beach themed pps are all about summer and fun in the sun. So I was thinking of using Christmas or winter paper. What do you think?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to suezhunt

That would be fine if that's what you would like to do. I enjoy taking unconventional approaches to selecting paper and that seems like a neat idea. However, I've seen several beach papers that don't specifically imply summer or sunshine - patterns of sand or waves or shells.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to suezhunt

If you're comfortable with doing some digital editing, you can get Christmasy clipart online.

I have some beach-Christmas clipart that I've used, but if you google "Santa beach" or "Christmas beach", you'll find tons of pix that you could print out, or even print out right on your background paper using copy/paste. That way you could combine the two themes.

Just be sure to have a good antivirus program running when you google...and be prepared for the fact that everything isn't G-rated, but depending on your privacy settings, you shouldn't get anything too racy...unless that's how you have your privacy settings set.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

Just keep trying different papers you have and one will just click for you. I have to actually lay the pictures on the paper to figure it out.

Maybe a title like "Freezing in the California Sun" or "This isn't November in Minnesota"

Have fun with it. Sounds like a great challenge but with a lot of possibilities.

Or do a two page layout with an old picture of November in Minnesota showing how cold it is and on the other page your family on the beach in California.

Title one page, "November in Minnesota" and the other "November in California". Then at the bottom maybe put, "We'll take California"

Ideas are endless - just have fun with it. If I did the two pages, I would use snowflakes on the Minnesota page and beach on the California page.

There really are a million things you can do with this one.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to mrsdriver5

You could use beachy themed papers and embellishments to create traditional embellishments...Christmas tree from 'water' colored paper with a starfish topper..stockings hung on a beach fence and made from beachy colors...

Here's some paper I found in the sb.com store

SugarTree - 12 x 12 Paper - Sandy Claus

You could easily use this piece of paper to do a 2 page spread. Tear it donw the middle between the tree and santa and put the tree on the left edge of one page and maybe trim the santa side a little closer to the santa and adhere it to the right edge of your 2nd page.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 06-05-12 03:00 PM
In response to justowen

There are digital kits for christmas beach themes. If you do "paper" I'm sure there are the same kits available.

Lat summer while on Oahu we saw a guy who looked exactly like Santa with a hawaiian shirt on. We had our grandgirls with us so I snapped his picture and he was happy to pose. Told the girls even Santa has to have a vacation.

I would go to paper sites and enter beach christmas that way in the search feature.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to charK

I used to live in Monterey! The muted/gray colors remind me of it. Try sagey greens, blue grays, cranberries, beiges.

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to Seaexplore

I think it would be really cute to use beach themed papers then Christmas embellishment!! Make a Christmas tree with sand dollars, sea shells, crabs hanging from it!!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to suezhunt

Look at this new K&Co Travel collection. It's beach without being any season. You could add in holiday fun stuff.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to CrimsonMama

This is what I did with our Christmas pics from Australia. It's digi, but it might give you an idea.
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... By RedSquirrel

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I lvoe this Rosie!

suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt
In response to Henri Jean

Thanks for all your ideas ladies!

Permissions Topic Options