Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Applying Lettering        (Topic#1577317)
ItsPronounced_Abear
Tenant
ItsPronounced_Abear

Ok, so this is probably a stupid gripe, but at least some of you should agree with me (or maybe have a better idea??)

I just had my first crop with 2 friends, one of which has been scrapbooking for many years. She owns a basic cricut and brought it with her; needless to say I was very excited since I've never used one before.

Well, my big complaint is that after you peel off the letters from the sticky mat, applying glue to them is so tedious. Now I realized why I just usually spend the money on sticker letters! I didn't ask what my friend does, but I ended up basically sticking the letter on my big glue stick and rubbing it around some (getting glue on my fingers of course) then just hoping I got enough on it and stick it down on my page.

Is there a better way to adhere cut out letters?? One that doesn't involve having to wash my hands so much? For the record, I usually use a split tape runner for photos and other elements.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-06-12 09:13 AM
In response to ItsPronounced_Abear

Make your own sticker letters with a Xyron, you'll never regret this purchase.

ItsPronounced_Abear
Tenant
ItsPronounced_Abear
In response to stick

Hmm, those look interesting. How does it work? Can you make different fonts or colors with it?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

Here is the secret to gluing down cricket letters. Nothing works better.

Buy a roll of dry wall tape. I use the fairly tight woven but I don't think it matters. I use white but it comes in all colors. Cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. In 4 years I'm still on my first roll.

Leave the letters on the Cricut mat. The will be perfectly straight across the bottom and completely evenly spaced. Perfect. The trick is to get the letters on your paper the way they are on the mat.

So while they are still on the mat and you have not removed the cardstock, the cardstock or backing is still in place (very important) put the drywall tape over the letters. Lift them a bit on the corners if you need to.

If they get out of kilter then take them off the drywall tape and place them back in the letter openings and do it again. Sometimes I have to re-lift a letter like that.

Then when you get them on the drywall tape just as they were when they were on the mat they will be perfectly spaced and level top and bottom.

The tape is loosly woven so you can see through it.

Take the tape, move it around until you find exactly where you want it to be on your layout. I put a ruler there so I will remember exactly where it goes or even anothe piece of cardstock to mark where the bottom of the letters will go.

Turn the drywall tape over so the backs of the letters are up and apply glue. I use the 2-way glue pen. Glue the letters liberally.

Put the drywall tape,, glue side of the letters down and place on your layout where the entire word goes and press down. I press for several seconds, then I lift the drywall tape off.

It's stickier than a post-it note but not really tacky or sticky so the letters will come off, you may have to coax them a bit sometimes but unually you can just lift the tape off.

It takes just minutes to put down a Cricut word or phrase.

I like my Slice better than my Cricut for being easy to use but use my Cricut because the letters are so much easier to put down using the drywall tape.

If I'm going to a crop I do the lifting onto the drywall tape the same way and then put the drywall tape on a piece of typing paper.

At the crop I easily peel it off and then apply glue to the letters and put them on my layout. So fast and easy.

I have not experimented but I am going to try running the drywall tape through the xyron x next time and see if that works the same and keeps my letters perfectly placed. If so, that is what I will start doing to make it even easier becuase I love the "X".

I do prefer the Xyron to the glue pen so if I can do that, it will be easy! I will just have to cut the top and bottom of the drywall strip so it will fit through. Not a problem.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

The Xyron does not make fonts or letters - you put the letters you have and it makes the back sticky like a sticker so you just press them on your layouts.

Xyron does make a runner of some kind that makes letters but I don't know of anyone who uses one. Most of us use it just to make the letters sticky on back.

The ones pictures above only have the sticky feature - thing the one that actally makes the runners with letters may be called a Xyron runner. I don't own one and don't know of anyone who does so I can't tell you about the fonts and colors. Its completely different than the ones that jsut do the "sticky".

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-06-12 09:48 AM

• ItsPronounced_Abear Said:
Hmm, those look interesting. How does it work? Can you make different fonts or colors with it?

It merely applies glue to the back of a piece of paper, turning it into a sticker. There's a video on the page for the 250.

You still have to cut out your letters somehow - using a Cricut or other die-cut machine, or by hand.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to stick

I like the Zig Two-Way glue pens for this. I prefer the felt-tip one that's more like a marker, but the only one on SB.com (so the only one I can link to) is the ballpoint squeeze-and-roll, which is more apt to ooze out around the edges when you press the letter down.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I like the 2-way which is like felt on the end.

I do not like the squeeze and roll and will never buy another one!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Same here. I've been using mine lately on some large cuts, but it's finally almost gone. I've got a couple felt-tips in stock. Need to re-stock ATG tape and trimmer blades soon though.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to aquabunny

I second the Xyron! Prior to it very tedious gluing letters especially if you do a shadow. After Xyron doing letters and even three layer embellishments (newer cartridges)

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to jaxxan

LOVE LOVE LOVE my X! It's wonderful for attaching little things.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Seaexplore

I also think the Xyron is a great way to go for this sort of thing. Use my 150/the X all the time.

I also like this product in conjunction with the Xyron. Sometimes the Xryon adds just a little bit too much adhesive to the sides of your item. This product will help erase that little bit of extra.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by KatieJo on 06-06-12 10:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ItsPronounced_Abear
Tenant
ItsPronounced_Abear
In response to KatieJo

Thanks Ladies! I knew you more experienced SBers would have some good tips! I'll try the Drywall tape method first and think about the Xyron a little later.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Drywall tape for lining up and spacing.

I am going to play today and see if I can cut the drywall tape after the letters are on it and then scoot it through my X and will let you know. I think it will work great.

THanks for starting this thread - never thought of using the drywall and xyron together before!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-07-12 08:47 AM

Henri, the only thing is you'll get xyron adhesive on the drywall tape as well, so when you place that on your scrapbook paper I don't think you'll be able to remove the tape.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Back to the drawing board.

I just ran some letters on drywall tape through the xyron.

It went through fine but the glue was on the drywall tape as well as the letters. When I lifted the drywall tape off the paper the letters were glued down perfectly but there was alot of excess xyron glue that was on the tape from when I ran it through.

For my Slice I'll use the Xyron but for my cricut I like to keep the letter alighment and will continue to use the drywall tape and zig pen.

Will experiment some more with drywall tape and xyron becuase the excess glue did roll right up in a second - quicker than spacing and leveling all the letters.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Kara - you and I were posting at the same time! And what you were saying - I just tested and you are right. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

The tape lifted very easily although if I let it set a while I don't think it would have.

There was a lot of xyron adhesive around the letters. They rolled up easily but I will test some more before I try that on a layout.

The excess came up very easily, like it does between the letters when it "spiderwebs" but still, I want to test it more before I try it on an actual layout.

Right now, I think the glue pen is going to work best with the drywall tape because of what you said - the glue adheres to the drywall tape as well as the letters and requires the extra step of removing it. And I don't know if it will remove from all papers as easily as it did the paper i tested with.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Get the little X (250) Xyron!

Before I had it, I thought, "why do I need that? I have glue."

It is so handy for so many things. Makes life much easier.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

I have the "X" and the creative station and love both of them!

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead

I don't have a Xyron (yet) so I just use a glue pen and a pair of tweezers.

It's a temporary thing, I think. But I'm trying not to buy everything I want.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics