Username Post: Tell me about your Vagabond        (Topic#1577475)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think I'm leaning towards the Vagabond. Are you happy with yours?

Will it take nesties and most anything else I throw at it? Will it take the thicker dies and embossing bolders?

I scrapbook.com has Big Shot on sale today for $89.00. Does this take the thicker die cuts and everything the Vagabond does.

I don't know how I'm still confused about this but I am.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-12-12 02:10 PM
In response to Henri Jean

Vagabond is exactly the same as Big Shot/Big Kick except it's electric. So yes, it will take all embossing folders, and all dies (including the thicker ones) EXCEPT for the very largest of the Grand Nesties (it will take most of the Grand Nesties, just not the very biggest ones).

Apparently some of them also catch on fire, I saw a thread about that recently.

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant
In response to stick

Ditto what she said
it's just the exact same machine, except electric and will NOT take the biggest Grand dies.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to stick

The Big Shot will not cut grungeboard.
The Vagabond will take any of the dies.
Even the little QuickKuts.
Various dies use different plates to adapt for thickness, just like with any Sizzix machine.
I have also used the Vagabond to cut multiple layers of cardstock, even with Sizzlet dies.
And I love it for embossing grungeboard, chipboard, metal,

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant
In response to leebla

• leebla Said:

The Vagabond will take any of the dies.

It's not big enough to take the largest Spellbidner Nestability dies.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-12-12 02:28 PM
In response to leebla

Is there any kind of one-stop document or website that compares all the die cut machines? A spreadsheet would be lovely. I'm so confused about this too, which is why I stay in my little corner of the world with my cricut. But it would be really great if there was some kind of comparison doc out there comparing capabilities, price, pros and cons.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to whateveriwant

I have a Big Shot and to my knowledge, it takes the same dies as the Vagabond. Only difference is the Vagabond you press and hold a button and the Big Shot you crank.

As Stick said, the Big Shot takes all dies out there--with the exception of one die out of the Grand Nesties set.

Not only willl the Big Shot cut Grungeboard, chipboard, craft metal, veneer, plastic etc, but it will also emboss them beautifully.

I did see the thread Stick mentioned about the Vagabonds catching fire, but I'm pretty sure they will exchange it for a new one should that happen to you.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Is there any kind of one-stop document or website that compares all the die cut machines? A spreadsheet would be lovely. I'm so confused about this too, which is why I stay in my little corner of the world with my cricut. But it would be really great if there was some kind of comparison doc out there comparing capabilities, price, pros and cons.

There are a couple here under the Resources tab.

Hang on and I'll grab the links.

Seems they aren't up to date, but might help a little...

Manual Machines
http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/39443/36 3.html

Electronic Machines
http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/39441/36 3.html

Machines and Dies Compatibility
http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/38007/36 3.html

Edited by Kim222 on 06-12-12 02:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Kim222

My Big Shot is electric. It is awesome. I found it cheaper than the Vagabond.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-12-12 03:07 PM
In response to 950nancy

All the manual machines are very similar, the main difference lies in the width and thickness of dies they can take - and this difference really all boils down to whether it will cut Sizzix Bigz dies or the biggest of the Grand Nesties. Other than that they're pretty much the same.

Big Shot and Big Kick are exactly the same machine, and the Vagabond is the same but runs on electricity. I don't think the electric Big Shot is available any longer. They will take everything on the market except the largest of the Grand Nesties (which is really only a couple of the very biggest dies).

Cuttlebug is essentially the same, and I believe the Epic/Revolution is as well.

The Sizzix Sidekick is a petite version and will only take narrower dies.

Grand Calibur will take everything except thick dies like Sizzix Bigz (which includes many Tim Holtz dies).

Big Shot Pro will take everything.

Fiskars Fuse will apparently take everything (it's coming out in a month or so so it's still an unknown, but it's priced like the BSPro).

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I think the Big Shot electric is discontinued too.

I looked at all the videos. If the Vagabond and Big Shot Pro and Big Kick all do the same thing only one has a button, then it seems like a waste for me to pay the double cost ofr the Vagabond.

The Big Shot Pro or Big Kick would be just as good.

This is all excellent info!

The Big Shot is on sale here for $89 here but my girlfriend in Louisiana gave me a $50 gift card for Amazon and they have the same machine on sale new for $59. And I can use my gift card!

This sounds like it will do everything but grand nesties and some of the larger things.

If I find I have to have those - I will save up for a grand Big Shot pro which does everything. Sounds like this is going to do everything I need and will let me see how much I use it.

Now that Holly has enabled me to get all these great nesties, I'm ready to use them!

Going to order. Just got to find that giaft card which could be anywhere!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Yes, not sure how anyone got the idea that the BigShot will not cut grungeboard. It cuts grungeboard, felt, other materials (like cotton, burlap etc.), metal sheets, vellum, chipboard, tons of things....depends on the die you are using.
I love my BigShot. Does everything I need and I haven't felt the need for an electronic machine (yet!)....
Henri, the BigShot will cut/emboss anything that is 6 inches wide or less. The die can be any length but not more than 6 inches wide.....
I say go for it!

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

Thank you Alison. I'm going to do it!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-12-12 06:00 PM

Well done! I do think it's the most versatile machine right now in the near-$100 price range (retail). Especially since you already have a Cricut, that should certainly be able to do any of the larger shapes for you, instead of buying all the Grand Nesties.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to stick

I have cut grundgeboard, chipboard, felt, everything with my big shot. I didn't go with a vagabond because they can cut the same thing and it wasn't worth it for me to pay $150 more to be able to push a button instead of turn the crank. Plus then I have to make sure it's always near a plug in.
Don't worry too much about the proper "sandwiches" for the various dies. It gets over whelming to try to figure it all out. Just start playing. It really is easy. Once you get it, you'll wonder why it seemed like such big deal figuring all that out before.
I wouldn't about which whether it will do everything. The way things change, someone will invent something it won't be able to do someday anyway. I think it does the most, and is the best built.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SherylEb

I hadn't thought about that Kara but I do have the Cricut for the larger shapes.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

Henri J, did ya order?!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics