Username Post: Zip lock bags        (Topic#1577485)
cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

are zip lock bags safe for scrapbooking. i mean are the acid free and the like. I have this nine inch post card that i'm trying to figure out how to scrap so you can see the photo and read the back safely.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to cescrapper

I don't believe so, sorry!

Obviously there are many makes of zip-lock bags out there, but does yours have a plasticky smell? If it does, that's the red flag for acid. And even if it doesn't, I wouldn't trust it.

If I were you, I would cut down a proper 12x12" page protector, and attach that like a pocket to the page protector of your page. Or I'd attach a ribbon, or a pull tag to the postcard so that it could be pulled out to read the back.

Actually I've just thought. Have you tested the postcard itself for acid content? Cheap card such as postcards is often not acid-free either. If that's the case, I would definitely put it in a page protector pocket to help protect the photos near it.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel

Thanks for the ideas. i like the pocket idea a lot.

bgsl56
bgsl56 
Expert
bgsl56
In response to cescrapper

You could laminate it using something like the Xyron 900.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to bgsl56

What type of album do you use?

I've scrapped things like this by using an 8 1/2x 11 page protector, and putting it in my album adjacent to the page it relates to.

You could also use a "pocket" type page protector, or a swinging shutter page.

Laminating does NOT protect the item from yellowing or aging.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to RedSquirrel

Ooh...interesting! I have scrapbook albums in totes. Also inside those totes are ziploc baggies full of cards, etc. For each birthday my boys have I bundle up the cards, candles and put them in baggies and toss them into the totes. Do you think they could harm the albums that are in the totes also???

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vintageivy

I've often put the post card in my scrapbook (I use "make it acid free and just hope it works) and then photocopy the back and put that next to it.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Henri Jean

My concern was the nine inch post card mainly. so i took an 8.5x11 page protector cut it in half the long way and then used that as a pocket on a page. my concern was that i am doing 8.5x11 size pages. Well, i did the page and it came out looking pretty good. I covered the rough cut edge with washi tape and it looks darn good. i love washi tape.

If i ever get another odd shped post card and want to scrap them I'll know what to do.
This has been a challenge.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics