Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Best way to organize patterned paper??        (Topic#1577521)
New Kid On the Block

So I'm admittedly your Class A Paper Hoarder. I am trying to get my space organized and get my stash used, but I cannot figure out how to organize all of my "pretty" papers (patterned paper). I have themed paper organized well, but my pretty paper stash(es) aren't so pretty. Please Help!

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to mturnbow08

Many people organize by color. I keep mine more by theme. Plaids together, stripes, flowers, polka dots, chevron, etc. Then if I had a lot I would then organize by color.

That seems to work for me anyway. good luck getting that stash under control!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to michelley2002

I have my themed paper organized well too - baby, holidays, USA travel, international travel, etc.

Its the misc stripes and polka dots and patterns that are out of control for me. I have three bins labeled misc. but I need to go through and narrow it down a lot further than that. Maybe I will make a bin for colors. That has been suggested and seems to work for alot of people.

Problem is, some of mine have so many colors.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to michelley2002

I have been struggling with the same issue.

I have some older paper pads that I've thought about taking them apart and filing but now I'm thinking its easier to keep them together.

As for single sheets, I would think color would be best for me because thats the way I think - patterns would mess me up because I don't think in that method "oh, a nice stripe would work here", know what I mean?

I guess it all depends on how you "work"

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Ohio4HMom

I've changed my storage several times as I find 'better' ways , right now I have them sorted by brand and then broken down into lines within that. It seems to be working for me so far...

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to MrsAnnieS

I have been struggling with this for almost 10 years!

Right now I have my paper packs kept together and the loose sheets get separated by theme (holiday, travel, pets, baby, etc). The random sheets are separated by style (bright, distressed, pastel) Just like Ohio4HMom said, I don't scrap by thinking a certain patter would work, so I go by color/theme.

Good luck! I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Richelle
Angel
Richelle
In response to pugs223

I have my solids and PP separate. I organize by color. Do what is easiest for you.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Richelle

I sort my pp by theme (Christmas, Halloween etc.) of course....then I sort by theme and colour...
If a patterned paper is mostly one colour, I put it with that colour cardstock, blues, greens, reds, black & white, orange, kraft etc..
I also have a category for seasons...if a paper has a lot of flowers or butterflies on it or is really brightly coloured and I know I'll use it for a spring or summer LO, then I put it with spring/summer. Same goes for the other seasons...
As others have suggested, it really depends on how you scrap...if you are always looking for an item based on colour, then sort by colour...if you are looking for a paper based on a "feeling" (ie, I want something bright, I want something with flowers/stripes, I want something distressed etc.) then sort them that way....

Alison

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kiyawinn

I agree with everyone - the best way to organize it is the way you'll look for it.

For me, its by theme and color. The multi-colored papers go with whichever is the most dominant color.

Welcome to the neighborhood!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Very well said!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

Thank you to EVERYONE! I have basic pattern papers sorted by color (orange&white, blue&white, etc.) Pretty much all my "pretty" papers are considered floral and have multiple colors on them, so maybe I'll go with that as a seperate file, Floral, Geometric, Damask, etc. I am drawn to papers that are bold and multicolored and remember them by floral, geometric, etc. So relieved! Thank you for your help!

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to mturnbow08

I keep mine organized by colour. This is for the obvious coloured ones, plaids and stripes that dont have an obvious colour, I keep with other plaids and stripes. Also, the odd shaped papers (doilies ect) I keep together aswell. Christmas papers are together too and so are Baby Boy/Girl. Cardstocks I keep together with Cardstocks and by 3 or 4 colour scheme. For example, light pink, medium pink and dark pink. For me, organizing it this way, works best for me. All me plastic boxes/shelves are labeled too...by colour...

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to TheCharmedOne

I think you need to ask yourself if when you scrap, do you say, "I need a piece of predominantly red paper for this layout", or do you say, "I need another piece of Graphic 45 to go with this". Some people are comfortable filing by manufacturer - I file by predominant color, with a few obvious categories such as Christmas, Fall, Halloween, Child, etc. And within colors, I also have a section for Primary Mixed and Pastel Mixed (those include ones where there are a bunch of different pastel colored dots on the page, etc.)

stampartiste
New Kid On the Block
stampartiste
In response to dwelch

I struggled with this for years myself and have organized my PP every which way. I scrap by color and "feel", but it was so difficult for me because most often double-sided PP have two totally different colors/feels. But I think I have finally found the solution that works for me.

I still organize my PP by manufacturer and collection (because they are already coordinated), but I filed them in two Cropper Hopper Easy Access Paper Holders (Cropper Hopper Easy Access Paper Holder) and separated the PP by manufacturer with dividers (Cropper Hopper 12x12 Dividers). Each Paper Holder holds 600 sheets of paper.

That way, if I'm looking for a specific color/feel that is not in a collection I'm using, I can easily flip through all my other papers because all the papers can be easily seen in one glance. So far, it's working great for me.

But I agree with what's been suggested already. You have to first ask yourself how you scrapbook. You might want to create several layouts and pay specific attention to how you pick your pattern paper -- do you think in terms of:

I need some Easter paper (theme)
I need a stripe paper (pattern)
I need something pink (color)
I need something playful (mood)

Do you like to coordinate your own paper or do you like that manufacturers have already done the work for you?

Your choice of organization method should reflect your thought process. Hope this helps.

PS: If you are thinking of organizing by theme, you might want to ask yourself if you could use that paper/collection for something else. For example, I recently created a 10K Mardi Gras run event using papers from a Halloween collection. I uploaded this layout to my gallery as an example: Mardi Gras 10K Run

A lot of times, there are themed papers which can be used in many other ways. Just an added thought.

Edited by stampartiste on 06-17-12 12:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to stampartiste

I have solid colored cardstock organized by color. Themes by Christmas, Halloween, and little boys. Everything else is alphabetized by manufacturer.

I love how stampartiste pointed out that your organization should reflect your thought process. I think that is great advice! I keep mine organized by manufacturer because I like how they've already done the work for me

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to runzalot81

Ask yourself how you see your paper when you think of lines you have or papers you like. Some people are very visual and some associate papers with names or feelings. I am visual and see colors in groups and that is how mine are organized. I am also a bit anal and could not break up a pack of paper from the same line if I tried. Lots of people change their organization of paper several times before they feel the have gotten it right. My friend does hers as ROYGBIV and it drives me crazy. There are so many shades of red that do not go together, but she says it helps her find matching paper faster. Good luck.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to 950nancy

I am similar to Michelly.

First of all, anything that is monochromatic and only one color (solids, monochromatic patterns) or one color and a neutral, all of those are sorted by color.

Then for multi-colored papers, I sort by type of pattern, as in all the polka dots together, all the stripes together, all florals together, etc. I keep most of my paper pads together, tho some of my first ones are taken apart and sorted into the other sections. I don't do very much sorting by them, as so many of them can cross over.

However, if I buy a paper for a specific project, I set those aside for that project, separate from the rest of my paper. Usually I keep it with the memorabilia for that project so I don't forget about it or accidentally use it on another project.

One other thing I do - occasionally I will buy a paper to cut up and use as embellishment. For example, I am currently scrapbooking pages from 2005 and 2006. I found 12x12 text paper with those years over and over in different colors and fonts, which I just use to cut the year out for the page. Therefore these two pieces of paper and scraps are stored with my letter stickers.

Hope that helps someone!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to stampartiste

• stampartiste Said:

PS: If you are thinking of organizing by theme, you might want to ask yourself if you could use that paper/collection for something else. For example, I recently created a 10K Mardi Gras run event using papers from a Halloween collection. I uploaded this layout to my gallery as an example: Mardi Gras 10K Run

A lot of times, there are themed papers which can be used in many other ways. Just an added thought.

I agree with everything Stampatise said but especially this part. I too am a scrap by color person and had things organized by theme as well. I realized that it was tripping me up. I was so focused on those papers being just Halloween or just christmas, I didn't think to use them otherwise. I wasn't until I was changing storage systems that I realized some these "themed" papers were the exact color I needed.
Although I still struggle with it at times, I am finding I am using more of my stash more efficiently!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to jaxxan

Even though I organize by theme I can still go right to what I'm looking for.

I was doing something very non-Halloween last month and it just clicked with me to go to my Halloween bin.

Many times I need red and if I can't find what I'm looking for I go to Christmas and often find exactly what I'm looking for.

I have one bin marked "Cruise" which has all kinds of blue swirly paper that look a little like waves and even my blue paper with lots of teals and ocean colors are in the cruise bin. I am in the bin all the time when I want paper with blues that kind of moves.

In my holiday file, all my papers with stars are in the 4th of July section and I go there for any patriotic layouts and lots of other things.

Like was said before, I also organize the way I scrap so its not a problem.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Henri Jean

That's great Henri Jean that you are able to do that, I guess some of us are either not as well organized or our brains just not as good as yours!

I think all perspectives are valid.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics