Username Post: Mod podge?        (Topic#1577535)
ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

What exactly is mod podge?..ive seen it advertised, and seen many projects (like making jars..covering clipboards...etc. but im still confused on what exactly it is, i know its glue, do you put it on papers to make it sticky and when it dries..clear? Do you use mod pogde for scrapbooking also or is it other DIY crafts? im sorry if this isnt clear, i just need some good explinations of what/how/when to use mod podge. it seems like something i would deffinately love to check out and get into!! Thank you so much in advance!!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ellybug312

Check mod podge rocks.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

I love my mod podge and use it for a whole variety of things. The main thing I use it for is to adhere paper onto chipboard for mini albums. I give a good layer on the chipboard and lay my paper onto. Then I use a brayer to really get a good seal between the paper and chipboard. Using mod podge doesn't wrinkle the papers like some liquid adhesive, sometimes thinner chipboard will bow on me, but a night under a heavy book fixes that.

You can use glossy mod podge to add a layer of shine to things, flowers, pages, letters, or use it as a seal on collages to smooth down rough edges and adhere the pp at once. Basically it is a glue, seal and varnish all in one. Check out the mod podge website-they have tons of ideas, how-tos etc

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Mod Podge is a waterbased sealer, glue and finish for paper.
When you see paper stuck to decorative boxes or wood frames etc....that is usually Mod Podge.
It comes in matte or satin finish. You usually put a layer on the paper, stick down the other paper and then "paint" more Mod Podge on top.
I don't use it just as a glue....I use it for sticking tissue paper or filter paper die cut shapes to my layouts....like the flowers on the LO below.
2010 By Kiyawinn

If you want more fun, check out Gesso!
ALison

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to kiyawinn

Love the podge!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to cescrapper

I've never used mod podge. I use multi medium to do the same types of things. It comes in matte and glossy. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?

Edited by Kim222 on 06-15-12 05:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
I've never used mod podge. I use multi medium to do the same types of things. It comes in matte and glossy. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?

I'm not sure, except MP is a lot cheaper.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kelseymel

Hmmm..sounds like I need to buy and try!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Kim222

Yes, the difference is that Mod Podge is a lot thinner consistency...sort of like a thin white glue...
Multi mediums are like Gesso...much thicker and will dry thick if you want a 3D effect..
I use both but for different things. I use the Mod Podge as I've mentioned to stick down tissue paper etc.. to my pages. I use Gesso/multi medium with stencils to create embellishments that are raised off the page....

Alison

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to Kim222

Mod Podge also comes fancier finishes. I've used glitter and glo and the dark modpodge with my students before.

I don't usually use it in scrapping....mostly b/c I have gobs of matte and gloss varnishes with my fine art supplies that I'm using up from my college days!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Samothrace

Tiffany! glo in the dark MP? Where can I get this wonderful stuff??

Eta- I found it at J's online and oriental trading. Must.get.some.

Edited by Seaexplore on 06-15-12 11:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics