Username Post: 1st time scrapbooking and BIG project        (Topic#1577569)
jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn

Hi all! I am ready to try scrapbooking for the first time and I am jumping in with a BIG project (well at least it seems big to me!) and I need advice

About a year and a half ago I studied abroad for a semester, during that I time I kept a blog of my experience and saved ticket stubs, metro passes and other little mementos and of course took tons of photos!! I did all with with the idea of putting it into a scrapbook/journal once I was home. Well I am finally ready to dive in and start this project! I definitly have some questions and need lots of advice. I am natually a crafty person and love doing craft stuff but I think the big thing for me is that I loved this experience so much I have this need for everything to turn out perfect, which is why it has taken me so long to get going on it.

First off I'm planning on doing 12x12 but I am unsure of what type of book to get and if any book I get will be able to hold all that I want it to. All of my blog posts are going into this scrapbook (although they will be edited down some, I think) this is a lot because I have 41 blog posts and pretty sure each post is going to need two pages (at least) and I want to have some additional layouts with just photos since I have so many that I love. So I would estimate that I am looking at least 100 pages... can you do that many? I am not planning of any bulky or thick things going on my pages so that should help with the number of things that I need.

I think I would ideal like my book to have an actual spine like a book, but it seems like then I am really limited on how many pages I can have.

So far all I have done is organize my blog posts w/ things collected like tickets and stuff so I know what goes with what, my next step is choosing a bunch of photos to be printed up and then putting those with each blog post or extra pages that will just be photos.

Basically each blog post will have its own file folder with what photos and special things go on it so then once I get all the scrapbooking stuff I can just grab a file folder and then there is all the stuff I need for that blog post and the scrapbook pages that go with it. Hoping this will keep me organized throughout this porject.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jessalynn

Your organizing sounds great, and I would suggest doing a 3-ring binder for a project this big (either that or breaking it into two or more albums).

You also might consider doing a smaller project first - maybe a mini-album with some of your photos or for a different project altogether. I would definitely not want to do something so large and with so much pressure to be perfect as a first major project.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to aquabunny

I've been doing some reading and it definitly seems like the 3 ring binder is they only chance I have of getting this all in one book. I really want it to all be in one book, so when I share it I can show people, this was my semester abroad not here's part 1 part 2 etc.

I probably would be easier to start with something smaller but this is something I've been seeing in my head since before I studied abroad and now that I've finally got it organized I have to start with this, I just really really want to get going on it and finish it. I guess for the most part a lot of my stuff can always be reprinted or a layout tossed out if I don't like it and just start over (I orginally thought all pages were bound and if you messed up you could rip that page out but you would be able to always tell the page was ripped out, and that you had to plan out each and every page order because they couldn't be moved around). I now know this is only true with certian scrapbooks and if I do the 3 ring I will have a lot of flexability, which takes off some of the pressure to be perfect although I'm sure I will still expereience some frustration when I can't get it to look exactly like it does in my head!

Now I'm wondering about my blog posts, they will definitly have to be printed off my computer because my handwriting is horrible but I am now trying to find different ways and ideas of getting large amounts of journaling into my layouts (I already know I do not want hidden journaling) One thing I read about that seemed pretty cool but had mixed reviews was some sort of clear sticky stuff that you can print on from the computer and then put on your pages... does anyone know what I am talking about?? I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Again any other advice is greatly appreciated! I'm going shopping this week for all of my stuff to start. So far I am planning on getting paper, cardstock (although I'm still not 100% sure of the difference between those two, I mean I know one is thicker but do you use them for specifically different things or are they interchangable?)also getting a cutter (hopefully this will really help me because I am horrible at cutting straight lines and measuring stuff) glue and probably whatever else catches my eye. I am not planning of getting an album quite yet unless I fall in love with one, that is partially why it has taken me so long to start this is that I wanted to find the perfect album and never could thankfully now I realize I don't need the album to actually begin! I also don't think I'll be getting a lot of embelishments especially this first shopping trip because I think I will be able to make my layouts work in a way that I want just with paper, cutting it and how I lay it out.

One thing though that seems to be pretty common is that a lot of people regret some of those buys during their first trip to get their scrapping stuff so I am trying to avoid that!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jessalynn

I often do plan out my page order pretty obsessively so that I don't have problems making two-page layouts fit.

I don't know what you mean with the clear sticky stuff. I don't like to hide my journaling either. You might think about using a couple of flip-out pages for some of your layouts. I will link those below.

You can use paper and cardstock for the same things, though cardstock is more often used for lettering and matting and embellishments, while with patterned paper you sometimes want to leave larger areas of the pattern visible.

Edited by aquabunny on 06-17-12 05:16 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I only do 12 x 12s so I understand where you are coming from. I don't enjoy working on other sizes and never have.

I also use file folders and put everything in order so I can grab one file at a time. A lot of people use hidden journaling but I like my journaling actually on my layouts.

I go thorugh a lot of velum which can be bought almost anywhere. It goes through the printer beautifully.

Then I run it through my xyron and that turns the xyron into a sticker that can be added to the page. Any other way I have trie to fasten xyron doesn't look right - the glue shows through and I have to use embellies to hide when I've put the glue. With the xyron there are no signs of the glue places - the xyron adhesive covers evenly.

These examples are computer print on velum which was run throught he xyron:

Cruise Day 15 By Henri Jean

Cruise Days 9, 10, 11 & 12 By Henri Jean

Cruise Days 3, 4 & 5 By Henri Jean

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

One thing on your shopping list that caught my eye was "glue". If you're thinking Elmer's type or glue stick, you'll want to change your mind to a different adhesive. Many people like adhesive runners that put little pieces of adhesive down as you roll it and others like the ATG, which seems expensive, but for the amount of adhesive on a roll it becomes quite cost-effective.

I've included links to a variety of adhesives, but there are a lot of options and different types for different applications.

You might want to check out the tabs at the top of this site for Classes and Videos to get some beginner tips that will save you time, money and temper tantrums

Have fun reminiscing as you scrap and enjoy it. The "mistakes" we make are normally not even noticed by those looking at the album. Paper+scissors+adhesive does not equal perfection!

Madding
New Kid On the Block
Madding
In response to mrsdriver5

I studied abroad a few years ago and have been afraid to start on a scrapbook about it too because of what a big project it would be! BUT if I was going to actually start on it, I would

1. Print out all my photos as chronologically as possible

2. print out all of my journaling from the online journal I kept while there(Probably on off-white paper, 10 pt font, landscape format, two columns)

3. whenever I felt like making a page I would grab the correct pics, mementos, and journaling and finish that page, then put it in a three-ring page protector until I was done with all of them and could load them into a book or binder in the correct order.

That's the method I used for my honeymoon album and it worked really well.

As for buying stuff I started with one pack of plain colored 12x12 papers and one pack of appropriately themed 12x12 papers and went from there as needed. I preferred to use mementos instead of embellishments, so there really wasn't a whole lot to buy. There are plenty of threads on here arguing about waht "basics" you need to get started in scrapbooking.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to Madding

What is a xyron? It sounds expensive but cool

I think some of my journaling will be printed off on special computer paper (not just plain white) and it will then be matted and in my layouts. However, I don't want to do this for the entire book because I want it to have variety.

One cool thing I found was putting the journaling in the negative space of your photo (for example if there was a lot of sky in one photo then some journaling will be written in the sky, so to do this I supposed I could either photo-shop the journaling into the photo and then have it printed or turn my journaling into a sticker that I can just stick to the printed photo.

I did find some of the sticker paper I was talking about it is made by Avery and sold at staples.Has anyone here ever used this? it seems like it would work really well.

Also for my journaling very few will be printed out all as one journal, instead I plan on doing a few layouts for each journal and then breaking up the journaling and putting pictures and mementos inbetween the journaling. So if I matted everything I think it would make the layout a bit too busy/heavy, so having the option to turn my journal into a sticker that I can just put on my background would be a great option for some of my layouts.

As far as the glue goes, I know not to use just elmer's glue (if I could I wouldn't need to get any glue) I was planning on getting a liquid glue, but am still considering the strips... I will just have to take a look and see what my craft store has. It's the same with the cutter I haven't picked a specific one I want in case they don't have it when I go to the store!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to jessalynn

For small stickers the small "X" xyron is around $12 or less and most box stores take coupons on them. That size is perfect for small strips of things, ribbon, and individual letters and other narrown things.

The 5" wide one (the one I use) was about $59 I think and I had a 50% sticker so mine was about $29 and I use it a lot. A very good purchase.

There is also a 8 1/2 x 11 xyron and I think it was about $120-$150 when I was looking at them and since they take 50% coupons on other sizes, I'm sure they would on those.

I bought 5" filler cartridge for the xyron last week and they took a 50% coupon at Joanns.

When I put words on my photos I use Microsoft Office "Paint" and that is easy enough for me. Doesn't offer enough options to really get fancy but it gets the words on there the way I like. Then I have them printed.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to Henri Jean

I agree with Henri Jean and would add......

I too agree with a previous post that you should have variety of adhesive. Here is what the xyron products look like. If nothing else the X is sooooo handy. I also like to have 3d either foam dots or glue dots to give some things dimension.

Edited by jaxxan on 06-19-12 12:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to jessalynn

• jessalynn Said:
Hi all! I am ready to try scrapbooking for the first time and I am jumping in with a BIG project (well at least it seems big to me!) and I need advice

About a year and a half ago I studied abroad for a semester, during that I time I kept a blog of my experience and saved ticket stubs, metro passes and other little mementos and of course took tons of photos!! I did all with with the idea of putting it into a scrapbook/journal once I was home. Well I am finally ready to dive in and start this project! I definitly have some questions and need lots of advice. I am natually a crafty person and love doing craft stuff but I think the big thing for me is that I loved this experience so much I have this need for everything to turn out perfect, which is why it has taken me so long to get going on it.

First off I'm planning on doing 12x12 but I am unsure of what type of book to get and if any book I get will be able to hold all that I want it to. All of my blog posts are going into this scrapbook (although they will be edited down some, I think) this is a lot because I have 41 blog posts and pretty sure each post is going to need two pages (at least) and I want to have some additional layouts with just photos since I have so many that I love. So I would estimate that I am looking at least 100 pages... can you do that many? I am not planning of any bulky or thick things going on my pages so that should help with the number of things that I need.

I think I would ideal like my book to have an actual spine like a book, but it seems like then I am really limited on how many pages I can have.

So far all I have done is organize my blog posts w/ things collected like tickets and stuff so I know what goes with what, my next step is choosing a bunch of photos to be printed up and then putting those with each blog post or extra pages that will just be photos.

Basically each blog post will have its own file folder with what photos and special things go on it so then once I get all the scrapbooking stuff I can just grab a file folder and then there is all the stuff I need for that blog post and the scrapbook pages that go with it. Hoping this will keep me organized throughout this porject.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

It really sounds like you have everything planned out and have good direction on where to go. I would go with 3 ring binders and plan on having 2 or 3 with that many pages.

How long were you there? Maybe split it up into weeks or months?

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to DaNel Hicks

Well my first shopping trip yesterday scared me a bit! lol it was a little bit overwhelming!

However I have since recovered and am now very excited to begin. I'm waiting on my photos to arrive, they should in the next day or two but I may get started on a layout or two in the mean time.

I got a lot of paper, a cutting board, adhesive runner, and sticker paper. I've decided to try out this sticker paper I found at staples I think it will be easier for me if it works because it will eliminate the step of running it through the xyron. I will let you know how this works out! If it doesn't work there is another brand of it that I want to give a try but I've only found it on amazon, this one has better reviews but I wanted to try this so bad that I just got the one from staples to try!

I also found the 5 inch xyron at walmart for $20 so if the sticker paper doesn't work out I know where to go!

I'm also still hoping to get everything into one book once I'm done. I was there for 4 months so there is quite a bit, I could split it by months or even by countries but I really want the whole thing together because it's one complete journey/story.

Has anyone here ever had their pages professionally bound into a book? Because not being able to change up the order of my pages won't be a problem because once it's in order it's not going to change.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to jessalynn

With the stickers you bought, I would make sure they are acid/lignen free. Especially if you want this book to really be around for a while.

I think you mentioned putting some of the stickers on the photos (may be wrong on that).

That is why I like the Xyron - its all acid-lignen free and the adhesive is meant to be permanent and safe.

I think I would get one of the acid testing pens to check the adhesive on the stickers, as well as the stickers.

Some of us here are real particular that everything be acid-lignen free and some here aren't as paranoid about things lasting. On the paranoid list - I want everything to last.

Your book sounds like it is going to be awesome! Please post pages as you can - I'm very anxious to see it!

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to Henri Jean

They are acid/lignen free which is why I am super excited to try them.

I think with the pictures I will end up using photo shop to get the journaling on the ones I want to have journaling on and then getting them printed.

My stuff is all organized and ready to go (except for the photos).

My next step will be to get my friends scrapping so I have someone to scrap with!

Edited by jessalynn on 06-19-12 08:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to jessalynn

That sounds perfect! You've got all your bases covered!

I think it would be nice to use photoshop to get the words on the photos.

You book is going to be awesome!

Veteran
In response to aquabunny

Oh wow!! Just learnt something new...

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to Noelles mom

Your projects sounds fascinating - good luck with it! Everyone else has given you really good advice, so I'll just have fun with it and with remembering your experiences!

Jen

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to JenKoss

Well my first page is "done" I have two options that I am trying to decide between, the first one (which will hopefully show up below otherwise hop on over to my gallery to take a look) I like because it looks more finished to me, more complete. The second one I like because the background is a map of europe and I traced over in gel pen the cities that I visited/lived in and the countries as well, this is a bit hard to see in the photo (sorry it was taken with my phone) but I like that it's almost like a table of contents showing everywhere I went.

Anyways I think I'm leaning toward the first one. The background paper for both of these are back to back, so maybe (this just came to me) I'll do the first one for my first page and then use the back (so my first page protector in book will only hold this one piece of paper) and have one picture from each city/country highlighted on the back as sort of a forshadowing of what is to come?

What do you guys think? any advice or suggestions?

[image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/730397/view /3666379/-1/1.html[/image]

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/730397/view /3666375/...

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

I left you a comment on your 1st picture, but I think your idea is great of back-to-back intro-type pages. Good job, whichever way you choose to do it.~Judy

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

I popped over to your gallery and left a comment on your first layout! I like your clean lined style! Your doing great and sounds like you are all set for the makings of a wonderful book. Let us know how the sticker paper works out!

deedee w
Resident
deedee w
In response to jessalynn

I've journaled many times on transparencies. They lay nicely over pictures or embellishments still allowing those elements to be seen. You can anchor them to the page with brads, photo corners, staples, or by putting the edge underneath a photo or paper. With so much to include, you might want to think about printing your photos in small sizes, like wallets. This would allow for either more photos on a page, or more space for your other memorabilia.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to deedee w

Well I just finished two more layouts, well almost I ran out of adhesive so my one page is all done just needs to be glued down! lol I did not expect to run out of that so fast!! I've also realized that I dislike my paper trimmer. It doesn't cut as well as I'd like it to and the swing out bar to make it 12" is a bit flimsy and it's not at the same level as the smaller, which makes pushing the larger paper up to the top to make sure it's straight and hold it in place more difficult.

So my scrapbooking is now on hold until I can get a new trimmer and some more adhesive. I didn't by and adhesive gun with tons of adhesive in it in case I didn't like it. For my trimmer, I'm a bit annoyed but not too much because I just got the cheapest one. I've been doing some research and I think I'm going to get the 12" fiskars rotary trimmer with the F blades so I can get the different style blades too. I'm going to wait until I have a 40 or 50% off counpon at michaels and then get that.

lol... another thing I've quickly learned is that a slightly crooked cut doesn't matter too much, unless your gonna add a few boarders, then it becomes more and more obvious! I will have to watch this since I don't measure anything I just eyeball it and cut!

I did try a quick print with my sticker paper to try it out, and it worked great, but the actual sticker is not truly clear, it's a bit frosted, which will work with some layouts but I would prefer it to be clear. So I think I'm going to eventually order this other brand I found on amazon that is supposed to be clear.

One thing I really wish I could do though was print white ink from my printer. I really wanted to do some of my journaling on darker papers, but I found out my printer doesn't print white ink! (well it does print 'white' ink but it's not one that can be seen).

Thanks for the feed back on my first layout! I've decided to go with the first one, and I think the other side with just the map will be at the end of my scrapbook with one picture from each city highlighted.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to jessalynn

Your layouts look great! Your London pages were a bit of a flashback for me...I went to Europe on a school trip when I was in grade 12 (we won't say how long ago that was LOL!) and our first stop was London. I can't wait to see more!

Jen

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to JenKoss

London flashback for me too, but unfortunately I don't have pictures to make an album. I went on a 2-month long school trip to Europe during the summer of '63, (yes, that was a long time ago!), and London was also our first stop. It was between my soph and jr. yrs. of high school. I had a really nice camera, but Mom and Dad got the pics developed as slides. Now most of the slides are blank. Memories are nice, but I sure wish I had the pictures, too~

Good job on your pages. You'll learn your style and what works for you...and what doesn't.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

• jessalynn Said:

One thing I really wish I could do though was print white ink from my printer. I really wanted to do some of my journaling on darker papers, but I found out my printer doesn't print white ink! (well it does print 'white' ink but it's not one that can be seen).

I don't know of any printers with white ink cartridges. There may be some, but they aren't common. With the NEED of it, you'd think some of the printer companies would get smart and make it available.

I often print my pictures at home, and then I can print dates, etc. in white on the picture by using my graphics program. One of my first scrapping purchases was a wide format printer, so I print a lot of background and then I can print in white on a dark background. I figure even if the ink gets expensive, everything else in scrapping seems to be expensive too, so I might as well have the look I want. Of course it makes it hard to justify the stacks of pp I have when I print a good portion of my backgrounds

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn

Yeah I googled it and the article I read said there are no deskjet printers on the market today that can print white, at least not a white on dark paper because they use translucent white ink

I wonder if my photo printer would be able to do this, though not sure I'm going to go through the trouble of trying that because that printer is a pain to use!

Well I'm not giving up yet I'll find a way to make it do what I want! Lol

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

When a printer prints white, it's actually not printing, so if your original paper is white, then you print a picture, but in your graphics program type a "white" text into the dark part of the picture, then the text doesn't really print, so your white background shows through. Any printer will do this, but a good printer is definitely more fun to play with. I probably made this more confusing. It would be simpler if manufacturers just let us use white ink cartidges.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn

Ugh I'm out of adhesive again! Lol I must really like glue guess i will be trying another, one soon. Are the glue dots any different from the adhesive runners? May be those would be something to try next?

Edited by jessalynn on 06-26-12 09:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics