Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: 1st time scrapbooking and BIG project        (Topic#1577569)
deedee w
Resident
deedee w
In response to jessalynn

I've journaled many times on transparencies. They lay nicely over pictures or embellishments still allowing those elements to be seen. You can anchor them to the page with brads, photo corners, staples, or by putting the edge underneath a photo or paper. With so much to include, you might want to think about printing your photos in small sizes, like wallets. This would allow for either more photos on a page, or more space for your other memorabilia.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to deedee w

Well I just finished two more layouts, well almost I ran out of adhesive so my one page is all done just needs to be glued down! lol I did not expect to run out of that so fast!! I've also realized that I dislike my paper trimmer. It doesn't cut as well as I'd like it to and the swing out bar to make it 12" is a bit flimsy and it's not at the same level as the smaller, which makes pushing the larger paper up to the top to make sure it's straight and hold it in place more difficult.

So my scrapbooking is now on hold until I can get a new trimmer and some more adhesive. I didn't by and adhesive gun with tons of adhesive in it in case I didn't like it. For my trimmer, I'm a bit annoyed but not too much because I just got the cheapest one. I've been doing some research and I think I'm going to get the 12" fiskars rotary trimmer with the F blades so I can get the different style blades too. I'm going to wait until I have a 40 or 50% off counpon at michaels and then get that.

lol... another thing I've quickly learned is that a slightly crooked cut doesn't matter too much, unless your gonna add a few boarders, then it becomes more and more obvious! I will have to watch this since I don't measure anything I just eyeball it and cut!

I did try a quick print with my sticker paper to try it out, and it worked great, but the actual sticker is not truly clear, it's a bit frosted, which will work with some layouts but I would prefer it to be clear. So I think I'm going to eventually order this other brand I found on amazon that is supposed to be clear.

One thing I really wish I could do though was print white ink from my printer. I really wanted to do some of my journaling on darker papers, but I found out my printer doesn't print white ink! (well it does print 'white' ink but it's not one that can be seen).

Thanks for the feed back on my first layout! I've decided to go with the first one, and I think the other side with just the map will be at the end of my scrapbook with one picture from each city highlighted.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to jessalynn

Your layouts look great! Your London pages were a bit of a flashback for me...I went to Europe on a school trip when I was in grade 12 (we won't say how long ago that was LOL!) and our first stop was London. I can't wait to see more!

Jen

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to JenKoss

London flashback for me too, but unfortunately I don't have pictures to make an album. I went on a 2-month long school trip to Europe during the summer of '63, (yes, that was a long time ago!), and London was also our first stop. It was between my soph and jr. yrs. of high school. I had a really nice camera, but Mom and Dad got the pics developed as slides. Now most of the slides are blank. Memories are nice, but I sure wish I had the pictures, too~

Good job on your pages. You'll learn your style and what works for you...and what doesn't.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

• jessalynn Said:

One thing I really wish I could do though was print white ink from my printer. I really wanted to do some of my journaling on darker papers, but I found out my printer doesn't print white ink! (well it does print 'white' ink but it's not one that can be seen).

I don't know of any printers with white ink cartridges. There may be some, but they aren't common. With the NEED of it, you'd think some of the printer companies would get smart and make it available.

I often print my pictures at home, and then I can print dates, etc. in white on the picture by using my graphics program. One of my first scrapping purchases was a wide format printer, so I print a lot of background and then I can print in white on a dark background. I figure even if the ink gets expensive, everything else in scrapping seems to be expensive too, so I might as well have the look I want. Of course it makes it hard to justify the stacks of pp I have when I print a good portion of my backgrounds

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to mrsdriver5

Yeah I googled it and the article I read said there are no deskjet printers on the market today that can print white, at least not a white on dark paper because they use translucent white ink

I wonder if my photo printer would be able to do this, though not sure I'm going to go through the trouble of trying that because that printer is a pain to use!

Well I'm not giving up yet I'll find a way to make it do what I want! Lol

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

When a printer prints white, it's actually not printing, so if your original paper is white, then you print a picture, but in your graphics program type a "white" text into the dark part of the picture, then the text doesn't really print, so your white background shows through. Any printer will do this, but a good printer is definitely more fun to play with. I probably made this more confusing. It would be simpler if manufacturers just let us use white ink cartidges.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to mrsdriver5

Ugh I'm out of adhesive again! Lol I must really like glue guess i will be trying another, one soon. Are the glue dots any different from the adhesive runners? May be those would be something to try next?

Edited by jessalynn on 06-26-12 09:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics