Username Post: Newbie question re: Die Cuts        (Topic#1577659)
CalebIsMyHero
Resident
CalebIsMyHero

Okay, so I keep reading about die cuts and saw a video on how to store them. What exactly are they, what do they do, why do I need them & is there one type of machine that works with most or are multiple machines required. What's the best machine to use for die cuts?

I think that should do it for now.

Angel

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to CalebIsMyHero

this is a question for SUPER HOLLY

well depending on what video you saw I'm not sure what type of die cuts you have seen but if you've every heard of Spellbinders, Sizzix and the like that is what they are talking about...

the Big Shot is one type of machine used with the dies to cut out pictures, words, etc from paper, cardstock, etc.

have I confused you more yet?

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Ohio4HMom

examples below

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Buying a die cutting system(s) is one of the largest purchases you will ever make.

BEFORE you jump in and buy a system ask yourself "Do I even like die cut elements?" Maybe you can get by; using the machine at the LSS, buying a few dies cuts from Ebay or your LSS, asking a friend to make you a few cuts, use punches instead, or using your scissors.

There are people who just LOVES their die cutting systems but there are also people who find them difficult to use, find they just don't use them as much as they thought they would, can't afford to keep buying additional dies, cartridges, etc. So there are machines/systems available used.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 06-18-12 06:28 PM

I got my cricut on an online yardsale. We have a pretty large airforce base in our area and so we have several facebook yardsale sights for military families and the community to buy and sell items with out breaking the bank.
Check craigs list too there are always some good deals on there.
If I had to buy a die cut machine new I wouldn't have one yet. They are expensive and so are the cartridges.
If you have an ACMoore you can find them on sale from time to time and if you join the rewards program you can get a little help buying them with the rewards too.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-18-12 06:44 PM
In response to Cinj

And of course there are the computer-driven systems that don't require cartridges. More money up front, but you never need to buy cartridges so in the long run WAY cheaper than a Cricut. Or the Sizzix eClips I think is the middle ground - runs on either software or cartridges.

I have both a manual (Big Shot) and an electronic (Gazelle) machine which to me is the best of both worlds.

You can also buy ready-made die-cuts, there are several companies that make everything from simple shapes to intricate layered pieces that you have to glue together.

And of course you can also use scissors and an Xacto blade to cut things out manually.

Before spending too much money definitely do your research and more importantly your soul-searching to decide if it's something you'd really use and really be happy with.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to stick

The Big Shot will also cut the Sizzix regular and Bigz dies. You can also use the embossing folders with it. The only Spellbinders the Big Shot won't cut are the Grand Nesties for which you would need the Grand Calibur. I have the Big Shot, Grand Calibur and the Cricut Expression..I use my Big Shot and Expression the most. Now I suppose I confused you even more, sorry!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics