Username Post: SCRAP PARTIES        (Topic#1577661)
mrs.farmer
Veteran
mrs.farmer

we just had a scrap party ( get together ) and I noticed I didn't get much accomplished... Do you have tricks you use when attending these to get more done?

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to mrs.farmer

go ahead with a plan. lol Have photos picked out, and the basic papers you want to use. I went to a weekend crop once and was doing some challenges on here and took with me the printed Lo I was lifting and that type of thing.

Generally speaking, I never get much done, but always have high asperations! lol

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to Samothrace

I haven't been to a scrap "party". I've only scrapped at Archivers, and I really had to commit to getting my LOs done. I go alone, so the only socializing I do is with the ladies who work at Archivers and anyone sitting at or near my table who feels like chatting. :/

Quite a few people have suggested putting together page kits; that works well for me. I love the sticker storage envelopes at Hobby Lobby for these. I put the photos I want to scrap, along with papers, sketches, embellies, etc. I plan on one LO per hour, and usually bring some sort of diversion project -- tags, cards, etc. -- just in case I'm not "feeling" the LOs.

Keep a list of your crop tools handy so you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time you pack up for a crop.

And if it's a party, really consider whether the primary purpose is indeed to scrap and get projects finished, or to socialize. If it's just to socialize, I'd say focus on that rather than completing a certain # of LOs.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to LesleyC

I plan pages ahead of time

I take the big 2 gallon ziploc bags and drop in my cardstock, embellishments, pics and anything else that is going to go on that page

I make up a bunch ahead of time and though I may change up the cardstock colors or add other embellishments etc to it, I have the basic idea for the pages done up ahead of time

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• mrs.farmer Said:
we just had a scrap party ( get together ) and I noticed I didn't get much accomplished... Do you have tricks you use when attending these to get more done?

I would have to ask...why didn't you get much accomplished?
Were you distracted? interupted a lot?
Did your "set up" take too long?
Did you find yourself searching for various things? Did your brain go fuzzy? Like you couldn't concentrate?
Did you have unrealistic expectations on what you could get done?
Getting "more" done is no good if you are not happy with what you did.

Everybody is different and every cropping experience is different.
What works for me is to make the majority of the choices in advance and only work on the layout and assemble the page at the crop.
Trying to choose things like paper & embellishments at a crop is just too much for me. First I would have to drag everything with me and then it can be difficult to make decisions in that setting.

AND I never expect to "finish" a page at a crop. That would again mean I would have to drag everything with me. Some aspects of scrapping are just better to finish up at home.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I make up page kits, but I don't ever expect to get much done! I never finish a layout at a crop because I do the finishing touches at home. I put a sticky note on the unfinished page so I remember what it is I was going to do with it.

I have and go to crops for the social aspect of getting together with other scrappers. We do exchanges ideas and tell each other how wonderful our pages are! I don't always get a lot done, but I have a lot of fun doing it!

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to Mary W.

I also go with the basics needed for the photos I'm doing, ie: cardstock, patterned paper. I always carry a supply of flowers, buttons, etc. with me so I can add them there. If I don't have what I need I add them at home. I also take my Cricut & Gypsy so I can cut out letters, die-cuts, etc., if I want to there or wait 'til I get home. If I manage to get 4-6 pages done or almost done I feel I've done good at an afternoon/evening crop.

Sharon Leigh
Veteran
Sharon Leigh
In response to SandraB.

I have crops in my home every other month and the secret is planning your pages ahead of time. I try to have at least 4 pages laid out with paper, embellishments and I always do all my Cricut cuts before every one get here. Planning out my pages helps me complete pages quicker knowing I will have many interruptions.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sharon Leigh

I'm actually OK with not getting a lot done at crops. I can always scrap at home by myself, but I rarely get to scrap with my friends.

mrs.farmer
Veteran
mrs.farmer
In response to Luvmyfam

I am going to try and plan pages in advance sounds like itll help a lot! I love the social part... Everything I do is about my kids and in a way this is too but allows me grown up time too lol so I do get "distracted" easily LOL

Fargomutt
Expert
Fargomutt

i think of it this way... how many pages would you haven gotten done if you were at home? For me, i rarely get anything done at home so when i go to Parties or Weekend-long Crops, i get WAY more done than at home even if i only get a couple of pages done.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Fargomutt

I work my pages before I go except for the finishing details. I pretty much plan and make my pages at home, arrange them and then photograph or sketch them out and have them in a file with the embellies, papers, photos, and anything else that goes on them.

I even make my Cricut titles in advance, lift them on drywall tape and put that on paper on the file.

I do the journaling for it in advance.

At the crop I just make my mats and assemble and arrange, do final tweaking and and glue everything down.

I have about 50-60 pages right now ready to mat and glue and place things. At my last crop, which was about 7 yours I got completely caught up.

I can talk and visit and really enjoy myself and come home with over 30 layouts completed. And its the stuff that doesn't matter if I do it at home or at the crop.

Now I've noticed that most of the other ladies are cropping what they call "Henri-style" - bringing everyhting almost done and just finishing the mindless matting and gluing at the crop.

Expert
In response to Henri Jean

The shorter the time the more I have to plan...if it's an evening crop/party then I definitely have to go with a plan because I don't want to drag all of my usual stuff along. Anymore I don't like doing crops that aren't at least 2 days (but 3 is better!) because then I can just pack everything and go. I still have a plan as to what I'm going to work on and will still pull a few bare-minimum page kits together, but I'm not one that can plan down to the last detail what I'll be doing (much less cut because then I might as well just finish the page at home!)

But really, for an evening party I wouldn't expect to get much done...

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman

I sort my pics, choose a LO sketch, and pick out papers. I also have to have a title decided on. Then I do everything else at the crop. If I do everything else I would just finish it at home. I have about 40 pages kits right now and will be going to a 3 day crop in July. I will probably finish about 20-25 pages while I am there.

I do these kits even if I scrap at home because it is how I organize. Then, when I have time at home I just thumb through and find which page I would like to do. It just makes it easier for me to get started.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to idlewoman

My pages probably take me about 15 minutes to complete at the crop. But if I do 20 of them, that is 5 hours that I've saved at home and 5 hours I do there instead.

It really does help me a lot beacuse I like getting them to that point and putting them aside at home. Then the last 15 minutes can be done there.

I like it too becuase then I haven't seen it in a while and sometimes an idea to change or add something jumps out at me.

But a 5 hour crop is 20 pages if I finish there - and I don't have to drag that much stuff. I'm able to talk and enjoy.

And its nice to be able to save 5 hours at home. Once in a while there may be an hour to finishing one bcuase there is a lot of detail and some finish up in 5-10 minutes, but generally its the last 15 minutes working with each one.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I overly plan every page. I still don't always get a lot done unless it is more than a one day crop. Unpacking does force me to get my scrap room cleaned. Win-win.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

You are funny Nancy! I have a crop wagon and it is always packed for crops and I work out of it at home too for things I don't have duplicates of.

I have an extra cutter and a lot of supplies for crops and another just like it for home but things like the Slice I only have one of and it is always in the wagon.

I have two ATGs - one in the wagon and one at home. The distress inks stay in the wagon but I take them out to use them here, just like my chalks for edging.

One Crop-o-dile but it stays packed and eyelets and brads stay packed but I use them here too. Alpha stickers also stay packed but I use them here if I need them.

I have 2 of the 12 x 12 glass mats - on in the wagon and one here.

Little 'X" xyron stays packed, 5" creative station does not but if I need it I take it.

My Little Red Craft Wagon By Henri Jean

Judes4
Judes4 
Veteran
Judes4

I'm afraid I'm not good at deciding what to bring ahead of time. I usually have plenty of sticky notes to remind me of what I want to finish up at home.

While I'm at a crop I hunker down and work hard, taking a couple of talking breaks when I have a good stopping point. I can't both work on layouts AND carry on a conversation.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Judes4

The same as the others: I make up page kits with a sketch. It might be a sketch of my own, or something from a current challenge, or an old one I like. For me the biggest time killer is the design, so if I have the sketch ready, I'm good to go.

Is a scrap-party the same as a crop? Or is it more of a social thing than a getting-things-done thing? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about how much you've achieved, because the fun part is the most important.

How many pages did the others get done? What did they do to prepare in advance? You could get some tips from them too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel

I agree Rosey - the biggest time killer is the design. And for me its selecting papers and embellies too. So if that is done and I quickly draw out what I want to do, they come together fast and easy.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I made a list of everything I have in my craft room. It is general, not super specific. I run down that list to make sure I haven't forgotten anything big. I always find I have forgotten something before I check that list.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

You are organized Nancy!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

I usually socialize for more of the time than actually get work done. However, if someone clearly does not want to socialize, I try not to bother them. I know some younger gals who are very busy moms and the crop time is their main way to get things completed. I think I need one of those wagons that Henri Jean has!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to pinkpaperairedale

when this questions gets asked, the common response is to “make up kits in advance” BUT there is no right or wrong way to prepare for a crop or even what you actually do at the crop.

A crop is your time, away from home, to do whatever you want (except of course some crazy scrapping techniques that might be dangerous). On more than one occasion, I have seen people just sit and sort photos. I have been to many crops where the only thing I did was use the LSS die cutting system and shop.

If you are unhappy with the amount of time it is taking you to create & finish a page, you may have to look at streamlining the process, simplifying your pages, or try digital. The crop is not the issue. After all a crop is dedicated time to scrapbook. It’s how long these darn elaborate pages are taking to do.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I've been eyeing that wagon at Sam's Club for a long time now

I went to get it last week and they are sold out... not meant to be I guess

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ohio4HMom

You are right Gelidy - I"ve seen people just sit and organize photos.

One woman did that for 3 hours - she left in the middle - said she would come back when she had something else to do, she was bored sorting photos.

At the crops I go to most have things somewhat organized into page kits. I love watching the ladies do the really elaborate ones but I wouldn't know where to start. Sure are beautiful when they are done though.

My best friend is going tomorrow with no pages kits or anything done and she is really kicking herself. Said she is going to be doing good to get 2 pages done in 3 days.

She is taking her Big Shot and her Gypsy and Cricut and said she will be burning at triple speed. One day will be making titles for a full day that she had hoped to make at home.

I think I have enough stuff done that the only machine I will need is my SLice - I have a few letters to do here and there I didn't get done in advance.

We will have a good time - no doubt about it. She will fuss because she isn't ready but she will have a blast, she always does.

Already she and I are talking about where to go for lunch tomorrow and dinner tomorrow night.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I would say that a "party" is different than a "crop" for me.....A crop at a LSS or Ms or something would mean getting more done because everyone is there to scrap and you probably don't know too many people.
A party to me, would mean having friends over to scrap....and then I completely understand not getting too much done!

I've had a friend over and not accomplished much but we did get some good socializing in...LOL!
I think the suggestions here are good...and I second the idea that I never "finish" pages at a crop...there is always something I have to add to it at home. It is impossible to bring everything with me.

Sketches or scraplifting is also an idea for crops or parties because you don't have to think so much...all the design work is done for you and all you have to do is the fun stuff...inking, embossing, paper layering, etc...
I've been to crops where people wrote out their journalling, made flowers etc...

It all depends on what YOU want to do...they are fun, though, aren't they?

Alison

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to kiyawinn

What your suppose to get things done at a crop/party????

I get really organize down to an index card of a page plan,picture sizes, and list of supplies tucked into the kit I made. Still never get a lot done.
The only time i am productive is when its overnight and everyone has gone to bed, I can finally think.

If its an evening crop I am most effective with either a layout that I know what to do or those rare lulls that everyone is quiet working on their page. In those two minutes, I work like crazy.

Crops are fun and I have picked up techniques and seen product in use which helps but it is too distracting for me. I think be honest with what is it you really want to get done, maybe its one event like a birthday or vacation.

Edited by jaxxan on 06-21-12 06:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to jaxxan

We have that red wagon. During the summer my hubby uses to to deliver coolers to the boat. I use it for my crops when it isn't hauling beers.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

I told my husband he could use my wagon for other things but he's never taken me up on it - guess he knows he would have to unload all my scrap stuff first!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-22-12 06:05 AM

I haven't been to a crop in a few years. I remember though that I rarely got a whole lot done. I might get a page done...but I was okay with that! I didn't go to one very often, but it was nice to spend time with some friends chatting and checking out everyone else's supplies! Yeah, it was a lot of work because I toted pretty much everything I owned with me, but I had a good time! That was mostly before I had a Cricut and BS though...so I didn't really take any machines with me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics