Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Buy name brand mist's? Or just make your own now?        (Topic#1577671)
Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

Im curious with all the tutorial's on how to make your own mist's & color wash's. Do you still buy them from companys or do you make your own?

Is there truley a diffrence between the two? I read the matte paint wash is as simple as 2 3rds paint - rest water? I dont see how that would mix or blend.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Sassie

I buy them. I'm too lazy to make my own.

I like Mister Huey's the best.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to kelseymel

I make enough stuff already when it comes to mists I just buy them. I have a few different brands.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to andrea m

I buy also! I just started, I adored Mister Huey's. I just picked up some October Afternoon (not tryed them yet) I like the Tim's color wash's.

andrea, what brand would you say is your favorite?

I think the only advantage of making your own would be color choice's? I to, am to lazy to make mist's & thats awful to say as ez as they sound to make LOL!
Products Referenced in This Post:

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Sassie

I used to make my own. I buy them now..from different companies. However, my favorite brand is Lindy's Stamp Gang.

Expert
In response to HisGEM

I second the Lindy's Stamp Gang. All of their stuff is wonderful!! But be careful - it's like bunnies and multiples while you are sleeping!
At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-19-12 10:33 AM
In response to scrappy_day

I buy them. I work hard for my disposable income and I don't have much time to scrap, much less try to make my own supplies.

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to stick

I've made my own with paints and sadly there was hardly any color to them. I added some blue food coloring to the blue one and it did help some.

I bought a green re inker bottle at a garage sale and still have one empty bottle left so I may try to make my own green mist and add a little perfect pearls powder for some shimmer and a couple drops of glossy accents.

They are easy to make if you can find a good recipe to get the color intensity your looking for.

Oh and i've tried tattered angles glimmer mist and love it and the same with the dylusions but it doesn't have the shimmer. I have one perfect pearls mist but had trouble with the sprayer from the beginning. I like the mister hueys, they are alchol based I think and really dry very fast. Not as fond of those as they have no shimmer and are a matte finish.

Edited by Cindyckj on 06-19-12 10:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

• scrappy_day Said:
I second the Lindy's Stamp Gang. All of their stuff is wonderful!! But be careful - it's like bunnies and multiples while you are sleeping!

Dang. How close do you have to put 'em together for this? Same drawer?

Expert
In response to Megan - ForumTech

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
  • scrappy_day Said:

Dang. How close do you have to put 'em together for this? Same drawer?

Anywhere close and it's dangerous!! I had to buy another container to accommodate the "offspring".

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

@ bunnys comment! I love cute lil bunnys, but Im not a total shimmer gal!

Ive not tryed the Lindys but they are on my wish list so I can at least try it. I like the shimmer in the perfect pearl mist. I dont like the shimmer in the glimmer (to much for me) where the PP mist has more a matalic feel i think?

Ive only used Misters 2x's and I liked them. I guess I need to get playing with all these new mist's to figure out which ones are staying or going LoL!

I think Lindys embossing powder's look fab! Unless they are gooped up here to show them off - I love the shine, the almost 2tone effect I cant wait to get my hands on some!!

Does anyone have anything they would want to share or just give me a dab of the embossing powder so I can try it before I buy it?

But scrappy day with your fertility luck id love to try yours!! Could try some for free, and they'd grow inot there own collection (for free to Id hope ROFL)

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to stick

• stick Said:
I buy them. I work hard for my disposable income and I don't have much time to scrap, much less try to make my own supplies.

That makes 100% sence. I know Im not crafty like to make my own probably. Ive not tryed but I dont think it'd be worth the stress of anything failing to save just a couple dollars.

Like with my ahdesive, I wont cut any corners, but any knock off brand -- it has to be tacky or glossy accents or I aint having it (If I really care about my project) Now if I know they will just pitch it or what ever, sure I'll use cheap glue dots or something

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-19-12 01:16 PM
In response to Sassie

Sassie, Lindy's has a line of non-shimmery sprays called Flat Fabio, they're transparent. And Tattered Angels has two new non-shimmery lines called Plain Jane, one is semi-opaque and one is transparent. They're all gorgeous!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to stick

I do both and like them all.....my earl home made mist is my favorite it give me the shine without color.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Sneezy1956

They are all my favorite lol. I have tattered angels glimmer mists, Lyndys, tim holts daubers, and some mister hueys. I love them all for different reasons. For variety sake I would try lyndys. they have rich colors with or without glimmer and if you dont like the spray you can get micas or color shots. They also have wonderful sample packages.

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to andrea m

I have some of those mini misters where I just put water and perfect pearls powder and not even a full drop of glossy accents. That way If I use the mister hueys which doesn't have the shimmer I can add the glimmer with my homemade spray.

Or I can just add the shimmer to anything and not worry about changing the color of what i'm spraying.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Cindyckj

I bought some Smooch brand mini mister sprays. They were NOT cheap and 2 out of the 3 had defective spray mechanisms. I don't save receipts on supplies like that so I couldn't return them to the store. The one that did work had a beautiful color and was "flat"... no shimmer or glimmer. I bought some of the little glass empty mister sprayers and going to try making my own with perfect pearl powders.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to pinkpaperairedale

ok I give, what do you use them for - REALLY?

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Ohio4HMom

I use them to color flowers, change the color of lace/ribbon, make backgrounds and shimmer to a project.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-20-12 05:05 PM
In response to Ohio4HMom

• Ohio4HMom Said:
ok I give, what do you use them for - REALLY?

What DON'T I use them for is probably a better question, I spray something on almost every paper project I do these days.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics