Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Lucky 8 punches vs punch around the page        (Topic#1577683)
jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

Now that the lucky 8 punches by We R memories have been out for a while, I am wondering what the community's thoughts are in comparison to the Martha Stewart Punch around the page.

Are the lucky 8 easier and worth the extra money? What is the community's thoughts?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to jaxxan

Can't really compare since I've never used the MS one....but the Lucky8 punches are really easy to use. I have one and am ordering another one...Love them!

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kiyawinn

I have 6 of the lucky 8 and I love them. So easy.

The MS around the page drives me crazy. I have a several sets and I've quit trying to use them because I can't get it right.

Expert
In response to Henri Jean

I like the lucky eights...I think they are easier...and no mistakes.
The MS ones are beautiful..but I always have a misstep somewhere and have to cover it up. I think they can be more versatile with sizes also.
The lucky eights can cut different sizes too, but the pattern won't be the same as 12x12.
Still...I like the lucky eights. They sure are big though.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to deedee49

Lucky 8s are too big for me. I have several dozen Martha Stewart page punches. They are smaller, easy to store, and very versatile. You can use either the edge or the corner separately and use different size papers. Just follow the directions to get a perfect page punched out.

They come in both regular and large (deep) punch sets. I suggest getting one set you like and trying it out for yourself. As I said before, you can always use each punch separately if you can't seem to get the page right. Use a coupon at a store for a steep discount.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Solitaire

I haven't tried the lucky 8s, but I'm a big fan of Martha's punches. I have a bunch...and NEED a bunch more, especially since I've been experimenting with using the corner punches to go around circles. (I also need a lot more room to store all the ones I NEED.)

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
I haven't tried the lucky 8s, but I'm a big fan of Martha's punches. I have a bunch...and NEED a bunch more, especially since I've been experimenting with using the corner punches to go around circles. (I also need a lot more room to store all the ones I NEED.)

I've noticed using the corner to go around a circle lately. Can you tell me what size you measure the circle to start out with? I want to try it too!

BonniePratte
Angel
BonniePratte
In response to jaxxan

I haven't tried the Lucky 8 punches but I absolutely love the Martha Stewart around the page punches... I'm using them on my cards!!!!
Bonnie

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to CrimsonMama

I've played with all sizes of circles, then the "bad spot" is just covered with flowers, a picture, etc. It shouldn't be a big area. I watched you-tube videos on it. I didn't use the deep punches, but they would probably work for a big circle. I used the Swirling Lace, Deco Fans, and Flower Shower punches in my playing. So far I don't have a lo with a circle, so playing is as far as I've gotten.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

Have them both. The Lucky 8 are really expensive and only do one size (unless you want weird shapes), but they are super easy to use and look great. The MS punches are more versatile, but they are not fool proof. You can use them as edges and the corner punches can now be used to do cirlces (see YouTube). I have more than 20 sets of Punch Around the Page punches and use them all of the time. There are a ton of choices for them. So I guess I would still pick MS over Lucky Eight. I tend to use the Cricut Lacy Labels cartridge to get the edges you see on the Lucky 8 punches. With your Gypsy you can add a ton of options to your edges.

litlplace
Resident
litlplace
In response to 950nancy

I have several of the MS edge punches and haven't found a good way to store them? How are you all storing your MS punches?
Sorry, I don't have any of the Lucky 8 punches so I'm no help there. I find myself working on cards or mini albums lately so the larger Lucky 8's won't work for me. I did however, recently see smaller Lucky 8's made for 6 x 6 papers...

Edited by litlplace on 06-20-12 05:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to litlplace

• litlplace Said:
I have several of the MS edge punches and haven't found a good way to store them? How are you all storing your MS punches?

I just keep them in a basket...Probably not the best idea, but that's where they are, and I can find them pretty easily.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to deedee49

This has wheels and fits right under my scrap table. The top drawer is for flowers and the big bottom drawer is for punches. It came from either Office Depot or Staples.

Rolling Cart for Punches & Flowers By Henri Jean

Sharon Leigh
Veteran
Sharon Leigh
In response to Henri Jean

I too have six Lucky 8 punches and love them. They are really easy to use and the results are beautiful. My only complaint is that they are huge and difficult to store. Have not used any MS punch around the edges.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Sharon Leigh

I have a bunch of long flat baskets that stack on my shelves. That way I can see them all.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to litlplace

For now I have my punches in a Rubbermaid container that I keep under my work table. When I get moved back into my craft room, I want a wall system that I think I saw on a post quite some time ago. I've also seen it on other sites (Google "paper punch storage"). Anyway, people use towel bars, but I'll probably have Hubby hang long dowels for me, then set the punch on the bar, with the other end leaning against the wall. (Sorry, I don't know how to explain it to make very good sense. Hopefully you'll see a picture of what I mean by googling.)

I need to have things out where I can see them so I'll use them. I get tired of pawing through my crate of punches...plus I want to buy a bunch more and my crate is full.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I did see someone do it with the heart scroll deep punch. Haven't tried it yet with that or a corner but this has got me to thinking about experimenting. I have two MS PAP and I love them.
I also have a few Fiskars and all of mine fit into one small basket. I really don't want to outgrow that!

I do like the Lucky 8 but with the cost of those and the size, I am waiting for one that is not even available until August 2012. All of these with my Grand Nesties should keep me from being too boring!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I store my MS punches in clear plastic shoeboxes. You can fit 6 sets of the regular page punches in each box. Line up the corner punches against one side of the shoebox with the picture facing out for easy viewing, and the edge punches turned sideways next to the matching corner punch.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Okey dokey,

I've been playing with a MS PAP-corner punch to do a circle today. I found on a 12" piece of paper you need to divide that in to 32. To do that accurately, you need a protractor and draw the lines so that you can center the punch on each line. You can still make a little goof, because (obviously) it's not made for this and you can turn the paper just slighly when you are pushing it to the back. Still, it comes out pretty good. You might do better if you have a stand up counter in your scrap room, which I don't.

I also found that the scroll heart deep edge punch is really easy to do a cool 8" circle. And not as much measuring and punching! That one turned out great.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

I asked this question because I struggle with getting the "Punch around the page" done clean. I just saw the lucky 8 demo on HSN and it made it look so easy.
I am just wondering if the price is justifiable for those of us who are "punch around the page" impaired.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics