Username Post: Distress Inks        (Topic#1577713)
dominicsmama
Veteran
dominicsmama

I'm looking to buy a couple more Tim Holtz Distress Inks but I'm not sure what color's I should get. I have Vintage Photo and Tea Dye. I have only ever used them to ink around my paper. So again I'm not sure what other colors that are offered would be good.

Any suggestion on what you use and how? Thank you!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-20-12 08:54 PM
In response to dominicsmama

Thinking Inking

I asked this question a few months ago I think and some angel introduced me to the Thinking Inking series on Youtube. There are like 9 or 12 short videos on all things distress ink. It was set up to be a class. I LOVE this series and I still come back to it several times to refresh my memory or try something new since I haven't tried them all.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Vae

I highly recommend buying all of them.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kelseymel

You are so funny Melissa. I hadn't intented to buy them all but they keep appearing in my ink holder case-thing.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
You are so funny Melissa. I hadn't intented to buy them all but they keep appearing in my ink holder case-thing.

Ditto - three more showed up 2 days ago!

Expert
In response to prittb

If you are going using them to ink the edges of your paper, I would say Walnut stain and black soot. I would check Youtube though for other things you can do with them. They are wonderful inks! Maybe be brave and try a color to see if you like it!! Good luck!

Veteran
In response to scrappy_day

I just got Grape & Broken China.Looking to buy more.

dominicsmama
Veteran
dominicsmama
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Thinking Inking

I asked this question a few months ago I think and some angel introduced me to the Thinking Inking series on Youtube. There are like 9 or 12 short videos on all things distress ink. It was set up to be a class. I LOVE this series and I still come back to it several times to refresh my memory or try something new since I haven't tried them all.

Thank you for the link, I will look into it!

Also I wish I could afford to buy them all ;]

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 06-21-12 04:47 PM
In response to dominicsmama

I ink around my page a LOT and my go-to colour is walnut stain. I absolutely love it.

My other favourites are faded denim, black soot, fired brick and rusty hinge - I love this for fall layouts!

scrappingmommyof2girls
Idol
scrappingmommyof2girls
In response to J-M

Walnut Stain and Pumice Stone are my go-to favs!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to scrappingmommyof2girls

IF you can't get all of them, the ones I use the most are.....
Fired Brick and Bundled Sage for Christmas cards and layouts
Spiced Marmalade and Black Soot for Halloween layouts
Broken China and Peeled Paint for my little boy pages (nice bright blue and green)
I also use the black soot and frayed burlap to ink around my pages....
I also recently purchased the spring and summer trios....LOVE the colours for summer layouts!
The peacock feathers colour is perfect with all the spring/summer turquoise stuff I've fallen in love with.....

Alison

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-21-12 06:53 PM
In response to kiyawinn

...you had me at peacock. Must. Buy.

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to Vae

There's not a bad color of distress ink, imho. I love them all!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Seaside Dreams

My favorite go to color is vintage photo I probably use it 75% of the time and I do have all of the colors.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Sneezy1956

Jarvae is right... watch videos! I stuck with Walnut Stain and Black Soot for ages when I thought all you did with them was ink edges. Then I watched some of Tim Holtz's tutorials and when I saw what they could do, I started branching out.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to *jesse*

Pumice is one I use often and I like burlap and the sage green.... I have most of them... they are addicting!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to DaisyButton

Loads of great ideas! It all depends on what your wanting to happen when you use them. Each color bring's its own element really!

I do have all the colors, including the new spring & summer. I do not have a favorite one color. I use my shades in 2's 99% of the time. So complimenting makes a better shaded aged look.

1 set I love is the dusty concord & Victorian velvet (i believe its called) those are my most used set.

Then id have to say I adore Pumice with worn lipstick. The combos are just endless ... you really cant go wrong with any colors. Its all about what look your wanting to achieve ....

Now Im off to watch those videos soooo excited

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to Sassie

I agree with the others... You CAN'T GO WRONG with Walnut Stain. I am a distress ink junkie and own ONE of them all...except walnut stain - I own 2 of that one! lol
Best of luck in you choice!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics