Username Post: Photoshop Elements - Photo Size Problems        (Topic#1577789)
~Alma Scrapera~
Expert
~Alma Scrapera~

I am using a free trial of Photoshop Elements 10. I am trying to print two small photos on a 4x6 photo paper. I created a canvas at 300 dpi with the dimensions 4 Wide and 6 High. I cropped a photo in iPhoto to 4 Wide and 3 High and dragged it onto the canvas. But instead of retaining the 4 Wide and 3 High, it expands really large. Is there a better way to do this? It seems anytime I import a photo from iphoto to photoshop elements, the picture is humongous and I have to use the bounding box to resize it down. Annoying! And then when I size it down it either loses dpi or becomes pixelated. Any help would be appreciated!

~Alma Scrapera~
Expert
~Alma Scrapera~
In response to ~Alma Scrapera~

I found the answer to my question in Ali E's video: Ali E tutorial on cropping photos

The main issue is that I needed to crop my photo to the dimensions needed, and make sure the crop dpi matched that of the destination canvas.

Resizing did not work, as that is more for optimizing a photo for email or the web. Lesson learned... use cropping to add a photo to a canvas, instead of trying to resize it then move it to a canvas.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ~Alma Scrapera~

Using the transformation tool in PS will work too. If you hold the shift key while you are resizing it will keep the dimensions even and will save your picture from pixelating.

New Kid On the Block
In response to michellel.avery

I just downloaded a trial version of PSE12 and am running into the same problem. My photo that I have cropped (3x3) is the same dpi (300) as the 4x6 canvas (300), yet when I drag the 3x3 photo onto the 4x6 canvas, it almost fills the 4x6 canvas, where in reality, I should have some white space at the bottom. I do not have this problem in PSE9 and it is really frustrating!!! Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Carrie

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to ziggy924

I only have PSE 9 but that always happens to me too. I just live with it. I zoom right out so that I can see the corners of the imported file, then grab one of them and drag it back into the canvas so that it resizes, then zoom back in. That's always worked for me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics