Username Post: Where do you stamp?        (Topic#1577847)
meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser

I've heard conflicting opinions ...

Do you stamp on a hard surface or do you stamp on a softer surface, like a mouse pad? Is there a difference?

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to meezerpleaser

I started my stamping days on a hard surface. When I moved onto detailed stamps, I would turn the ink side up and press the paper to the stamp. It worked... but now I use a piece of thin foam packaging and stamp on it. It's incredible and consistent. A mouse pad would probably work the same way.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to runzalot81

It depends on the stamp, the type of card and the effect I want.

I have one stamp which is carved from soap stone. That has to have a yielding surface like a mouse mat or craft foam under the card, otherwise it doesn't stamp evenly.

I have a quarter inch thick plastic surface protector on my desk, and that is very slightly yielding - perfect for everything else.

If you have a squishy acrylic stamp and a squishy mouse mat under your card, and you press too hard, you won't get a clean image.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to RedSquirrel

I usually grab one of my 6x6 paper pads and it seems to be just the right amount of squishy for me no matter what type of stamp I use.

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to AmyWho

depends... if it is on a block with foam on the stamp then on hard. if it is clean and now grey foam (like between the wood and the silicon) then i use a foam pad for a clear image

apejaz
apejaz 
Diva
apejaz
In response to leokc34

Hi,

I always stamp on a hard surface. I have never tried to do it on a soft surface. I might have to now to check it out. I never gave it a thought. I ajust figured it wouldn't work as well.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to apejaz

I've tried both. I found if you like a softer mat, an upside down mouse pad works great. Through trial and error, though, I've come to really like a glass mat. It prevents those stamp edges that you get sometimes. Of course, the really important thing is to not rock your stamps - just press straight down and lift straight back up.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to dwelch

My dining room table is glass top and that is what I mostly use. Sometimes I use a magazine or sheet of fun foam when stamping with my Fiskars Stamp Press.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to pinkpaperairedale

For me a solid surface is best, especially with a more detailed stamp. But when I want a more spooky or scifi look I stamp on a squishy surface like a foam sheet, a mouse pad is too thick for my taste, but that is just me!
I'm sure most times it just a personal preference for anybody how they like to stamp. It can't be wrong if you like how it turns out

Becky.contact
New Kid On the Block
Becky.contact
In response to catzscrapper

Hello,

I always stamp on a hard surface, I didn't know you could stamp on a softer surface...great new tip, I will have to try that! You ladies (and gents) have the best ideas. Thank you and best wishes to all.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Becky.contact

When I have tried soft surfaces i make a mess. So i usually stamp on my paper cutter lol. It has a nice, hard surface area thst works great for me.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Crafting Marfa

A hard surface for me. I just got a stamp press so anxious to use it.

golden1
Resident
golden1
In response to prittb

i stamp on a 12 x 12 rubber stamping mat i got from archivers.

Diva
In response to golden1

Both ways. I use a rubber mat as well straight to the table ( hard surface). No problem either way, but I noticed with clear stamps, the rubber mat works better.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to prittb

Hope you enjoy your stamp press. I have the Fiskars model... it is super.

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to pinkpaperairedale

oh i have wanted a stamp press for a bit now... are they worth the money???

cricketscreations
Expert
cricketscreations
In response to meezerpleaser

I am lucky enough to have my own craft room. I have an 8 ft. banquet table set up. Love it! Couldn't imagine having anything smaller. So, to answer your question, I stamp on a hard surface.

Edited by cricketscreations on 02-09-13 07:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cricketscreations
Expert
cricketscreations
In response to prittb

Betty, what is a stamp press?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to cricketscreations

If the rubber stamp is on a padded block, or if it's a cling stamp there's no need of a rubber mat,,,,,

if it's a clear stamp or an unpadded rubber stamp, I'll use a sheet of rubber or foam,,,,or even a magazine.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to CommaHolly

A hard surface for me, on all stamps, but I never tried the soft surface. I feel that when I would use a soft surface, I'd get the edges of the stamps also on the paper so thats why I never tried it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics