Username Post: Need some tips        (Topic#1578161)
mstasha
Veteran
mstasha

Ok so I have been using the liquid pearls on some of my cards but am really struggling in making them look like "pearls". Everytime I dot they get that little tip on them and look more like a Hersey Kiss, any tips on how to get them more rounded? Also I just bought a wonderful baby saying rubber stamp(the 1st stamp I have bought)how on earth do you get it to stamp nice without having the stamp edge showing. I've tried using less ink and not pushing so hard, but then the image is too light. Suggestions PLEASE!
Products Referenced in This Post:

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to mstasha

Lightly tap the back of the paper that should take care of the points...

I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas on the stamping.

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to debby_westbrook

Ohh Thanks, I will have to try that one, I tried letting them set up a little and then pushing down on them lightly...not good. It was a squished Hershey Kiss, LOL.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to mstasha

I'm not sure how to explain it, but you have to swirl the bottle in little circles while making the dot. Don't just pull straight up or you'll get a little Hershey's Kiss every time.

Or you can just buy some pearl pens from Viva Decor. They are PERFECT.

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to kelseymel

I completely understand what you are saying. I will try that way too, I am just so shakey when I try to do it (too much stress about messing up). Those pens you are talking about sound pretty cool, I definitely may have to check into them.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to mstasha

For the stamping....is the stamp mounted on wood? Or is it an acrylic stamp, unmounted?
Make sure it is mounted on something, first of all (if it is unmounted, use a stamping block). Then turn the stamp upside down and pat the ink pad onto the stamp instead of stamping into the ink pad, IYKWIM....
Next, press down on the stamp with even pressure and lift *straight* up....very important to lift straight up, not lean on the stamp in any direction....

Alison

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to kiyawinn

Try this: It's like making dots when cake decorating. Press on the bottle to get your blob of ink, then stop all movement and consciously release all pressure on the bottle before lifting the bottle away. That should do it.

On the edges of the stamps showing. Be sure you're not "rocking" your stamps. Just straight down and straight back up. I found that using a glass mat under the paper I'm stamping onto helps with that as well. (I know many people recommend a soft mat, but the glass mat works for me.)

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to dwelch

I only have two bottles of the liquid pearls and haven't tried using them. Today I was making a card and had the perfect place to try the gold pearl. Thanks dwelch for the tip on how to make perfect little half pearls. They turned out great...and now I see what I'll be ordering on the free shipping days. Another addiction to add to my list~Mstasha lists 28 colors and I only have two. It looks like it will be no problem to get a $50 order. (Of course I already have $350 in my shopping cart now, but I'm definitely going to do some purging!)

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
I only have two bottles of the liquid pearls and haven't tried using them. Today I was making a card and had the perfect place to try the gold pearl. Thanks dwelch for the tip on how to make perfect little half pearls. They turned out great...and now I see what I'll be ordering on the free shipping days. Another addiction to add to my list~Mstasha lists 28 colors and I only have two. It looks like it will be no problem to get a $50 order. (Of course I already have $350 in my shopping cart now, but I'm definitely going to do some purging!)

Today was free shipping day! Hope you got in on it.
I wanted to order but my debit card was compromised and shut off and don't have my new one yet.

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to kiyawinn

Thanks for the tips, it's a wood mounted stamp. I did turn it upside down and applied the ink that way, but then I seemed to get it in the grooves in between the words. GRRRR...I think it's going to take some more practice.

mschiddy
Resident
mschiddy
In response to mstasha

About the rubber stamp question--I think it's time for a new ink pad.

What kind of ink are you using on the rubber stamp? Is the ink pad bowed at all? I mean, if you look at it on the skinny side, does it look straight across or like ")"? Sometimes the ink pad gets squished down in the center more than the edges from repeated stamping pressure, and then it will leave ink around the stamp's edges. If the ink is getting in between the raised parts of the stamps, then maybe you are applying to much pressure to get the ink on the stamp. This happens to me when my ink pad is drying out.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:

Today was free shipping day! Hope you got in on it.
I wanted to order but my debit card was compromised and shut off and don't have my new one yet.

"Coupon SHIP712 is valid until midnight PST on Thursday, July 5, 2012."

I'm waiting to see what the deals will be on Wed. and Thursday...as if I didn't have enough I already want!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to mrsdriver5

Oh good! And I got my new card today!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ChansGram

Sounds like you just need to practice a bit with the Liquid Pearls. If you use the technique the ladies talked about above, it should work for you, but you just need to practice so you're not so nervous doing them.
When I do them, I find they often look better when I don't spend so much time on each dot - the more time I spend trying to get it "perfect," the more likely it will get messed up!
Perfect Liquid Pearls pearl By Here Kitty
White Wedding By Here Kitty

As for the stamping, it sounds to me that the problem lies in the ink pad you're using. Try an ink pad that doesn't have a super squishy pad. I like Memento dye inks. Your ink pad also might have too much ink in it if it is squishing ink into the creases of the stamp when you ink it. That shouldn't happen, ideally.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Here Kitty

try making your dots OFF of your projects - practice them in a line on a kraft mat, once they are dry pick your favorites and peel them off - save them for your projects (there are videos on youtube on how to do this)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics