Username Post: Rockin Scrappin Grans **ACTIVE and CLOSED**        (Topic#1578195)
memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
  • cdjohnson Said:

Betsey - Of course, I am assuming the worse and that he might possibly have bone cancer. I think he was denying the fact that they would look for cancer but when he said bone marrow biopsy my dh just hung his head and looked at the floor. I know the doctor, and he will let me stay in the room with him for the biopsy.

I figured that's what they would check for.

Wellllll I was hoping there was some other thing they would be checking for......soooooo I guess I was hoping for another reason. It's good that you will be able to be with him......I am thinking positive thoughts, and prayers are being said!

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to memex9

Jo, Di,Ann and Tish.....I too, have never heard of, nor did I even consider that one would have chemo as maintenance........I'm not sure I understand that. If you are cancer free, then why would you need chemo????? I am clueless about these things, and truly count my blessings daily. I am so sorry for you Jo and Tishie that you have to go through this again. My only experience with chemo, is what my last husband went through with his chemo and all that it entailed. It was very painful to watch, I can't imagine have to go through it. I wish I could give you all some of my good fortune, so far, to be in such good health. But I can, and will keep you all in my prayers!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 10-04-12 03:41 PM
In response to memex9

And I will chime in here. Josie, i am so sorry that you are told you are cancer free and then get a call from the cancer center telling you that the doctor recommends maintenance chemo! BUMMER!

Do you think you should call and talk to the doctor and have him explain why? If the maintenance is to make sure you remain cancer free, then ok, i guess. It is not pleasant, and I am sure there are different chemo drogs for the different types of cancer. Some with not so pleasant side effects.

Prayers going out to you Josie. I agree just hearing the words chemo gives me a sick feeling.

Myself, I am remaining positive and the past couple of weeks, I have felt really good, so i am hoping I will not be going through the chemo thing when I go back. I guess I can understand in my mind the reasoning behind it. if the numbers are rising, they want to knock it back down. I had no serious side effects from my six months other than being tired and very brain fogged!!!!

I wish I was an expert on this!

i am thinking that they want to be very sure you remain cancer free! If you trust your doctors, keep the faith and think positive thoughts!

Big hugs to you JosieI

Edited by Tishd on 10-04-12 03:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tneal40
Diva
tneal40
In response to Tishd

I have one and a half walls painted. I made sure I did the big wall first. My back hurts and so does my arm. My helper did not show up this morning so I started late and I had to babysit for a few hours also... I am tired and it needs to be done tonight... going to have dh use the roller and I will use the brush when he gets home.

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 10-04-12 03:51 PM
In response to memex9

• memex9 Said:
Jo, Di,Ann and Tish.....I too, have never heard of, nor did I even consider that one would have chemo as maintenance........I'm not sure I understand that. If you are cancer free, then why would you need chemo????? I am clueless about these things, and truly count my blessings daily. I am so sorry for you Jo and Tishie that you have to go through this again. My only experience with chemo, is what my last husband went through with his chemo and all that it entailed. It was very painful to watch, I can't imagine have to go through it. I wish I could give you all some of my good fortune, so far, to be in such good health. But I can, and will keep you all in my prayers!

Betsey, I wish I had a better knowledge of this myself. When I finished my chemo, I was told, I was in remission. dr. thrower said at the time, if it comes back, we will treat it again! I remember those words!

Sometimes I think that the one thing that reassured me, and kept me calm was the excellent care the nurses gave as I sat with the chemo dripping into my veins, all the times I sat there, Allen sat with me and never complained!

I do not think the nurses get the allocades and credit they sometimes deserve!

Why can't they find a cure or a reason for all the different types of cancer. Now I am gloomy!!!!!! Sorry.!!!!!!!!!! !

Edited by Tishd on 10-04-12 03:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 10-04-12 03:56 PM
In response to cdjohnson

I am glad they will let you stay with hubby while he has his biopsy. That should make Karol feel better knowing you are there.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 10-04-12 04:15 PM
In response to Tishd

CHERYL what a long wait for tests. How is he feeling now? Does he have any family history of cancer?

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to Tishd

Well, I either scrapbook and/or eat when I am stressed. I chose scrapping so far!! Here is one I just finished:

boys will be boys By Cdjohnson

tneal40
Diva
tneal40
In response to cdjohnson

Walls are painted... tomorrow I do the trim and shampoo the carpet myself then SATURDAY we move back into our bedroom... I will be so glad to have my huge closet back. I will have to pack the summer clothes up put some downy sheets in the tote and store them down in the basement.

I am so tired my hair hurts.... Son is doing the rest of dinner.. I just can not get enough energy to even get up from my chair. lol

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to tneal40

Here is a digi desktop I did for a challenge tonight. I didn't even know I was capable of doing this!!!

Happy Halloween By Cdjohnson

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to tneal40

Teia; I've been that tired...where my hair hurts. Sounds like a lot of work..be careful.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Tishd

Tish; the fabulous nurses in the chemo unit I went to were/are also so thoughtful, helpful and some of them were zany and just made me laugh. For the first 30 days of chemo I had to go to the center 5 days a week for a 2 hour drip. I'd get the weekend off and back for the 5 days. Hubby took me the first two days but then friends/relatives pitched in with the commute and keeping me company. I wasn't driving as was still recovering from the major surgery.

The nurses made sure the person with me was also comfortable and informed.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Sunnydi

ok, off to my room.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Sunnydi

Had a really fun day! Met 3 other retired colleagues for lunch. We ate lunch, had dessert and coffee and visited for almost 2 hours!

Jo, I was so sorry to read that you will have to do a maintenance chemo treatment. It is something I have not heard of either. I try to remember what my oncologist and surgeon told me early on about every treatment protocol being tailored to the specific type of cancer and to the patient. They wanted me to realize that cancer treatment has advanced so much that they do a plan for the individual now. I hope you will have a better understanding of the "whys" when you see the doctor or treatment team next.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to tneal40

Teia, I know you will be so pleased to get your house back in order and with freshly painted walls, etc.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to cdjohnson

Cheryl, that does seem like such a long wait, esp. for getting the results. I have been amazed at the speed that Lara got her biopsy, results, met with the reconstructive surgeon and got her surgery scheduled. The waiting & not knowing anything is the hardest part.

Char, your cupcakes looked DELISH and I'm not a cupcake fan. They were decorated in such a cute way.

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to oakhills

Hi Grans,

Cheryl, my family got to stay in the room with me when I have my bone marrow biopsy's done and it does help...me AND them! lol My doc is really good about explaining just what is happening and letting any of us in the room ask questions so we all understand. That really helps out and makes you feel like you have a part in things! Waiting is the hardest part...we always told the doctors to tell us...no matter the news...we wanted to know what was ahead...and we have found that when they know that we really do want to know and understand they are good to keep us informed and educated. I think that helps too...at least it does me! I will keep praying for you and your family...how is your dd with all of this????

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to bears99

Tish and Di...I agree with both of you about oncology nurses...and ALL nurses! They don't always get the credit they deserve! I have had some that aren't so great, but that was on the general floor. ALL of my oncology nurses have been fantastic. They were like you said, Di, that not only did they make me as comfortable as possible during the treatments, but whomever was with me was made to feel welcome and comfortable as well. They all deserve more of a pat on the back than they are given! We tried to let them know how much we appreciated everything each trip we made...and now I guess we'll get to get reaquainted with them!

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 10-04-12 07:29 PM
In response to bears99

JO how far away will you have to go for the chemo?

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to bears99

Betsey, thanks SO much for asking about my knee. I DID go to physical therapy today...I KNEW it wasn't a choice..I was just whining! lol Anyway, my good news of the day is that she released me! No more physical therapy for the knee!! She DID remind me that I needed to continue to do my exercises here at home, but no need to make the trip to Gordon each week. Came home REALLY happy about being able to stay at home when about an hour later I got the call from the cancer center!!! lol

Now I will try to explain what I know about my upcoming chemo and the reasoning behind it. First of all, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to ALL of you for your support and sympathy...I needed that today!
When I saw my main oncologist in Omaha in June he mentioned that the newest research in multiple myeloma uses Velcade as a maintenance drug instead of some of the old ones. I WAS on a maintenance chemo just over a year ago that was a pill and after about six or eight months of it I asked to be taken off of it because the side effects were sssssooooooo bad. I was so sick I'd have rather had the cancer! Since then (a year ago in July) I haven't been on any chemo at all...and have been regaining my strength and health...and it has been wonderful! The doc in Omaha mentioned in June that he thought it would be beneficial for me to go back on a chemo drug to maintain my remission...my cancer free status.

The cancer I have is not curable. It is not a question of WILL it come back, but instead a question of WHEN. I was told that my stem cell transplant would "buy" me an average of 5 years. I will be "three years old" in January! yea! Both of my oncologists feel that the time is right for me to start a lower dose of chemo in order to stay in remission longer. The part that I am having to 'rethink' is that at first Doc mentioned that I would probably only need the chemo a "couple of times a month". I will have to go to North Platte for this kind because it is not in pill form so they will access my port. When the cancer center in North Platte called me on Monday with the results of the biopsy the nurse told me that Doctor Vaziri was wanting to "do more research before he made a recommendation about maintenance chemo". Today when the nurse called me back, it just knocked me for a loop that it will be once a WEEK for 4 weeks, then a week off and then start again with once a week for 4 weeks. AND that he wants to do SIX cycles! I wasn't expecting that magnitude. I know that he not only researched the drug, but that he also looked over my personal history and all my charts AS WELL AS calling and talking to the head oncologist in Omaha before he had the nurse call me. Yes, I trust him...with my life!! Literally!

I just needed someone to feel sorry for me WITH me today, I guess!
SO thank you all for joining me in my pity party! I'm over it now! lol

Think of my cancer treatment more like a diabetic...even when their numbers are good they have to keep treating their disease. I have to keep up with my cancer treatment to keep it under control. Maybe that is the easiest way to think of it.....

I love you guys!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics