Username Post: Rockin Scrappin Grans **ACTIVE and CLOSED**        (Topic#1578195)
Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 01-21-13 06:39 AM
In response to Tishd

Oh, actually Tim was in sports broadcasting for a bit in his earlier years. He worked for the AM Station in Maine WZON (Stephen Kings station). It paid tiddly winks though so he was forced into getting real jobs! LOL

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to Tishd

Cathe...don't forget you can use the 40% off coupon, just like Michaels....on one item even if its on sale. That's how I got that $27 punch for $7 that time.....LOL Anyway...they give you the weekly code for on line shoppers in the weekly email. Enjoy!!!!

As for Karen and David.....unless some miracle occurs, that is what will happen.....the doc told Karen that 6 months out of work is very optimistic at this point and that realistically they are looking at 8months or more. Remember, the bones snapped in three places. This rod that is in there also has to make his foot work. This was extremely serious surgery, and the possibility of amputation of the foot at least, is still a possibility. David does NOT know this, as they felt it better to keep an optimistic prognosis for now.......as he is already depressed enough. He has already used a month of his 4 months saved up leave.....and he is still basically bed-ridden or couch or chair. Remember this is not a broken leg, this is a replacement rod for the bone that was shattered beyond repair. His foot was only attached by muscle and such when he got to the hospital. Losing their house is more than just a probability........Karen does not make enough to make house payments.......and pay everything else. The insurance here is outrageous.....meaning auto and home owners and wiith a mortgage you must carry homeowners. Their homeowners insurance is almost $3,000 a year....and due in May. Anyway......by June 20th he will no longer be paid and will no longer have a job. Six months is as long as they can hold a job open especially in his area....he is very important to his crew. In fact, he is doing work over the phone, telling someone step by step how to repair a crane........stuff like that. They cannot go on without a mechanic of his skills. He is the only one in the county that is certified to repair all the fire engines, crane trucks, heavy equipment and stuff.....people with those skills usually work for private companies at twice
the money that he makes.
He was always very content
to be a big fish in a small pond for all of the fringe benefits, paid holidays and such. After all he is not young, and when you have been doing his kind of work as long as he has been doing it......the odds of him even lasting until 65 are slim. Lots of heavy lifting, etc.....!

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to memex9

Good morning!!

Betsey - I will continue to pray for David and Karen.

Tish - I read the description of Gone Girl. It sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. I am going to see if it is in the loan library for Kindle Fire. I am not sure I want to pay $12.99 for it.

I slept until 8:00 and made myself exercise and shower befoe getting on here so I am getting a late start to my day!!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 01-21-13 08:56 AM
In response to cdjohnson

Just watched our 44th President take the oath of office! What a beautiful setting!

I loved hearing The Battle Hymn of The Republic . It always gives me goose bumps! I loved James Taylor too!

I am always glad to see the ceremony end before some wacky person commits some horrendous act of violence!

Washington DC is still on my bucket list of places I want to go and see!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to memex9

Betsey; thanks for the diet coke. I'm out of it here. And, I looked at the layouts for the challenge on pg. 1 and they all are truly monochromatic ones to my eyes. do you see one that is not?

I'm sad about Karen and David's situation. They may look into declaring bankruptcy or something like that so as to save their home.

Josie; woohoo: new baby today and sorry about your dad's medical situation. I hope he doesn't have cancer.

I just finished the book 'The Last Letter from Your Lover' by Jojo Moyes, last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm going to the library today as have two books waiting for me that have been on hold for weeks.

Well, more putting away today and making a trip to the GW with, now, four big boxes. As soon as it is not freezing in our garage I'm going to get started out there. I'll need to dress for the artic probably as it's cold out there.

Cheryl; enjoy your days off.

bbl

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 01-21-13 08:57 AM
In response to cdjohnson

Cathe, how does the Kindle Lending Library work? Oops, I mean Cheryl????

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to oakhills

Ann; glad you got in the mood to scrap. Good luck to Lara today. How long are her sessions? Does she sleep during them?

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 01-21-13 10:03 AM
In response to Sunnydi

Hello Di!!!

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 01-21-13 12:00 PM
In response to Tishd

Good morning grams!

Watched our President become our President again!

We are going to go look at vehicles. I think I am getting a new Ford Exploder. We can use the A plan from bro in law so we get the lowest price possible. Good deal for us. My friend always calls them exploders, lol.

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
Betsey; thanks for the diet coke. I'm out of it here. And, I looked at the layouts for the challenge on pg. 1 and they all are truly monochromatic ones to my eyes. do you see one that is not?

I'm sad about Karen and David's situation. They may look into declaring bankruptcy or something like that so as to save their home.

Josie; woohoo: new baby today and sorry about your dad's medical situation. I hope he doesn't have cancer.

I just finished the book 'The Last Letter from Your Lover' by Jojo Moyes, last night. Really enjoyed it. I'm going to the library today as have two books waiting for me that have been on hold for weeks.

Well, more putting away today and making a trip to the GW with, now, four big boxes. As soon as it is not freezing in our garage I'm going to get started out there. I'll need to dress for the artic probably as it's cold out there.

Cheryl; enjoy your days off.

bbl

Thanks for the advice, however, these days, bankruptcy does not save your home. Here,due to the ridiculous housing market.......they are also upside down now in their house. Our houses are not even worth $30k and both of us have mortgages double that. I paid more than that for my house....in fact more than double that....and put money into it with the new kitchen, roof, windows and A/C. They are in pretty much the same predicament. This is why I am working at my age, and this is why they will not be able to save their house. When you owe more than the house is worth, the only thing to do, is walk away and live with the foreclosure.....or continue to pay until you either die or the housing market picks up. Not very upbeat things right???? There are thousands of people in Florida facing this same problem The interesting thing is, that my mortgage payments are less than anything I could rent. So even if I just walked away........I could not live.........by myself. The rents here are astronomical for this part of Florida. My house, I could rent to someone for $800-900, My question is, why would anyone pay that to live here>>>?????? The only thing going for me is that the new big hospital addition is complete three blocks away, so who knows???? My son says they will be hiring lots of new nurses and techs and they like to live near the Hospital....you cannot see it from my house, but its an easy walk.

Personally, I figure I will die before I have to worry about it all, unless of course I cannot continue to work. LOL I will deal with all of that when it happens.......nothing is like it is supposed to be anymore.....! I should be living here, comfortable in my old age, feeding my cats and knitting.

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to memex9

Tish - Certain books on Amazon are part of the Kindle Lending Library. You can "borrow" a book and read it then you "return" it and then you can borrow another one. You are only allowed one borrow a month, of course, you can keep the book longer than a month if you need to. Once the book is returned you can borrow another. The Gone Girl is not one of those books right now. Do you think it is worth $12.99 for the Kindle or maybe I should check out my public library?

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 01-21-13 01:38 PM
In response to cdjohnson

Cheryl, it would be so hard for me to tell you which option would be best for you. I guess if you are able to check it out of the public library that would be better than paying the $12.99 like I did.

If I knew how, i would transfer mine to you!!!! Is there a way to do that? I doubt it.

It is good, but, I have read better books. It held my interest and was really one of those books I didn't want to put down.

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 01-21-13 01:45 PM
In response to Tishd

I have the Kindle app on my IPAD so all my kindle books are also on the pad. Now when I get a book from amazon, I tell it to download to my IPAD... It does! I can also download from EBooks which is Apples app and that goes into Ebooks.

Still watching the parade! What a handsome family Joe Biden has!

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to Tishd

• Tishd Said:
Oh, actually Tim was in sports broadcasting for a bit in his earlier years. He worked for the AM Station in Maine WZON (Stephen Kings station). It paid tiddly winks though so he was forced into getting real jobs! LOL

Years and years ago I read a fiction that was about a radio broadcaster and his fall from fame. It was a sad story. I know the radio personalities don't make much money. I wonder what our tv announcers make.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to Tishd

• Tishd Said:
  • oakhills Said:
  • Tishd Said:
  • memex9 Said:
Before I forget again......Thanks to those of you who sent cards to my sil David. He was quite touched Karen said and it made him feel really good. They arrived on different days so, that was good......another thing...all were handmade and he truly appreciates that.....his Mom was an Art Teacher for years, so he does have an appreication for handmade artsy type things, even though he is not crazy about my scrapbooks. He is the one that just wants photos in a book with names and dates.......LOL "Not all that fancy frilly stuff all around them....." he he he he!!!!

Betsey, I know you are right, and Allen is right. I need to get out more. I need to get fresh air in my lungs. Sometimes I know I nap because I am depressed and as strange as it sounds, I like to shut the world out for awhile!

My sil, Jeanne, just called and we talked for quite awhile. She dated Allen's brother in high school and was also one of my attendants at our wedding! Jeanne was a year behind me in school. There is no reason why I couldn't drive to Belfast and meet her for lunch at least once a month. My friend, Punkey and friend, Judy, wanted to get together at the diner this coming Wednesday but I am scheduled for lab and chemo so we will try for Friday. So many opportunities for me to get together with friends and what do I do, hole up in the house like a hermit!

I finished my book! Will not say anything about it because I believe Char is reading the book now. Char if you read this, I will be interested in your thoughts about the book when you are done!

I am glad David was happy with the cards. It has to be so hard on him to be in pain, and not able to move about freely!

Tish, I downloaded that book on my Nook yesterday along with an abridged version of Les Miserables. I started Les Misrables first but I may stop it as it is very long and read the one you were reading while I am with Lara at chemo tomorrow.

My personal opinion of the book without telling any spoilers......a good book but I did lot like the ending at all.....So when anyone else finished the book from beginning to end, I am curious as to your thoughts.

How long does Lara's chemo usually last? My first day of the cycle is always the longest. By the time we get there, check in, have lab work, nurse assessment and doctor visit and then pre-meds before the infusions...It will be about 6 hours there, then we have to factor in drive time there and back...Long day!

Can't wait to see you challenge entry!

We were there from 9:30 until about 1:00...much shorter than with the previous medicines. We can always add another 1.5 hours of driving time each way. She had 50mg of Benadryl by IV at the very beginning and that made her very tired/sleepy but she can't sleep in the treatment room because of all the activity and IV pumps beeping, etc.

Audie is making beef stew for dinner so Lara nor I has to cook tonight.

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to scrappin 2

Rum and I looked at microwaves. Of course he has to come home and research them to death. I think we have it down to a Whirlpool either at Sears or Lowe's. We always try to buy local from a guy Rum played baseball with. However he was $100 higher than at Lowe's, but the model # was different. So hard to compare. Meanwhile I miss being able to microwave.

My carpet might not be installed on Wed. It hasn't arrived yet at the store. Steve (my salesperson that reminds me so much of the dad on the tv show The Middle) said they had an ice storm in Georgia and that might have delayed it. OH @!!!%&***

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2

Ann how nice of Audie to cook.

Betsey I too feel so badly for David and Karen. I'll pray for a miracle.

Tish is there an app for free books for the Ipad?

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to cdjohnson

Oh Di........I didn't mean that I saw anyones with other colors.....I was really just wondering!!!! It never even occured to me when I used that flower......I had another one that was just solid orange with the darker orange behind, but I opted for the pretty little one and did not even consider that it had blue/lavendar in it. How funny!!! I was just wondering for no real reason if mine was the only one so far with a little wrong color.........he he he he he!!!!!

I have scrapped this afternoon.......after the grocery store trip. I also went to the hardware store....yes the real ACE hardware. Sometimes I just can't face going to Lowes or Home Depot. I needed a replacement bulb for my under cabinet light, and a battery for my garage door opener, and one for Karen's. Both are different of course.....I love going to ACE hardware.....they are so nice, ready and willing to help...it took me less than 10 minutes from start tto finish. They are a bit more expensive, but then they are also right on the way to the grocery. So I am saving gas.

I made Quesadilla's for dinner.......very good.....just hit the spot. Now for a shower......! Did anyone watch Downton Abbey last night.. It's on at 9p.m. est......and apparently they always show the previous episode before the new one.....it was very good....there are several plots all going on at the same time.....I am loving this. Hope someone is watching......!

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson

Ann - How sweet of Audie to cook!!

Cathe - Sorry about the carpet not being here on time.

oakhills
Governor
oakhills
In response to cdjohnson

Cathe, your carpet sounds like our recent freezer purchase. We were given a window of 2 hours for when it would arrive. Right at the end of 2 hours we got a call that it would not be delivered until one week later because of bad weather. We got it at Sears and they only deliver to our area one day of the week. When it was delivered, the driver told Audie that they had come from Little Rock, AR and they had 5" of snow the week before.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics