Username Post: Rockin Scrappin Grans **ACTIVE and CLOSED**        (Topic#1578195)
memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to memex9

It was 82 here today, not to rub it in or anything, but seriously.........it was sooo hot in our school that I can't even begin to tell you what a terrible day this was......! Do these powers that be realize that we live in Florida and it is not unusual for us to need A/C in the "winter months" Obviously not every day, but reallllllly! The kids were all dragging around, crabby, etc....and then we fed them bbq riblet sandwiches.....with tomato/cheese soup. sigh! Who is in charge of this insanity I wonder!!!!!!!
We had two subs today, both of them, my age...my friends Val and Margie. They were both worn out from the heat!!!!! (Not to mention that they are both my age)!!!! LOL Our new cook is fine except she thinks she is the only one in the kitchen I think, and her stuff is everywhere....she is a messy cook, terribly unorganized, and its beginning to drive all of us nuts......of course it drove me nuts the first two days, I don't know how anyone does that job surrounded by chaos. Our old Mary, was very organized and very aware of everyone elses job and was very helpful in that regard. I knew we would miss her.....but I did not realize how really lucky we were to have her...in so many ways. I am sure new Mary, will figure all of this out, or Bonnie will eventually tell her she needs to get her act together.......even Tracy was razzzing her...she never cleans up behind herself.....and Tracy and I were cleaning up more than we should have to.....so hopefully she will get the idea.....she is a bit of a "queen bee" type.......Cooks don't have to clean I guess she thinks......! That's true in bigger schools, but not here. There are only five of us. That should be very obvious to her by now....LOL

OK....that's my rant for today.........I hope this job thing straightens itself out soon.......we are all tired......of confusion and chaos.

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to oakhills

• oakhills Said:
Just got back from taking Lara for her chemo. Her hemoglobin is staying up...was 10.2 three weeks ago and 10.1 today. No more decrease than that is very good during chemo.

Cheryl, such a tragedy for an innocent child!

Betsey, without getting on my soapbox, I blame a lot of the gun violence on movies and violent video games. The sacredness of life is no longer valued in our society.

Teia, sorry I was on the road before you offered coffee this AM! I take mine black so all I needed was a cup!

Tish. your layout of Abbi is so cute! Looking forward to seeing those snow pictures.

Our church services were not cancelled yesterday but the very strong thunderstorms kept all but a few at home. Even the music leader who never misses was out with bronchitis.

Hi Ann....good news about Lara.........that is really great.....and I am sure she is happy also.

As for the gun thing, I agree......we have become so desensatized to violence of all kinds, that guns are just but part of the issue. When young children at school, say to me, without batting an eeyelid......."I'm so happy my Mom/Dad are coming come today." And I ask where have they been, thinking of course away on business, or something, and the kid says, "oh he/she was in jail"! Like it was the most common/normal happening in all families.......I of course, am still stunned by that. In what world is that OK?????? I just don't get it...I really don't! We all better really wake up and realize that the world is coming unglued right in front of us......I have no solutions but the first step is realizing that there really is a problem....and it's nothing "congress" can fix!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to memex9

Hi laides...... I'm not going to get the sketch done today. I am sorry and hoorray for

Ann
Cheryl
Tish
Cathe
Betsey
Char

you rock girls

Here is another sketch as our latest challenge. Please give Julie Bonner credit for the sketch..

oh, twist is Use Pink (somewhere) and one heart on it.

Due by Monday February 25th.

Sketch for Grams 2/11 challenge By Sunnydi

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to Sunnydi

I was talking to Cheryl on fb. She said the boyfriend didn't mean to shoot the boy.

The Pope: they are reporting he is leaving due to health.

It was about 29 degrees here and so windy! The car door slammed into my shoulder as I was getting into the car. It is ok though... got the potatoes I forgot at the store on Fri.

I started to scrap..couldn't find the thing that rolls thru the Big Shot. GRRRR By the time I found it I didn't want to scrap anymore.

Betsey you are right, the powers to be who make up the menu & decide if the air conditioning should run, should know how hot it gets there.

Better go get dinner. Have a nice evening everyone.

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 02-11-13 04:02 PM
In response to scrappin 2

Dropping off...BB to read and comment.

Not real happy with this one...

After NEMO By Tishd

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 02-11-13 04:04 PM

BETSEY it is one of those situations that is cause for some thinking on. Back in the "old" days family in jail, rape, child abuse, sexual abuse, was NOT talked about. NOW everything is talked about to death....and it has no stigma of being bad. It seems to be taken for granted and has no meaning to children and young adults. It is part of their upbringing.

So is that a good thing that we discuss everything or should we go back to taboo? I believe a big part of it has been to help victims. Another is to help people not feel they are responsible for their families actions. We don't want children to be bullied or singled out for ridicule so we make light of situations.

Just noodling it around.

bears99
Diva
bears99

no challenge from me either...I guess you and I are the holdouts this time, Di. I am sorry ladies. Taking care of dd with her c-section and the two boys has just kept me tired! I haven't scrapped for three weeks...baby G is 3 weeks old today!

Greyden went outside with is Grandad this afternoon after I dressed him up in a warm snowsuit and all the warmth I could get on him! It was a high of 27 degrees and with the wind they were saying it was a wind chill of -3*. He spent over an hour outside before I could get him to agree to come back in! The only part of him that was cold were his little cheeks and his fingers! He had gotten snow into his snowboots so his socks were wet. While he was outside I made chocolate chip cookies. He thought he needed one with his cup of milk when he came in! I must say...they were pretty good. I used to make cookies all the time but haven't made many in the past couple of years. Kari says I haven't lost my touch!! lol

Char....your story made me cry. 18 months was NOT enough!

Cheryl...whether he meant to shoot the child or not doesn't matter to me. Responsible gun owners don't have guns out around three year olds. just my opinion. so very sad...

Di...did you get the curtains finished? you have talent, Lady!

Ann...glad Lara's hemoglobin is staying up. I have to watch what I eat to keep mine up as well. It usually runs about where hers is and sometimes I am even up to 11! Doc says it's okay as long as it stays above 9 or so.

Betsey...I am not a super neat cook, but it would drive me nuts to have to clean up after another messy cook. Don't know how you all stand it!

Teia...when will your dd arrive? I wasn't sure how long it would take them to drive it..

Tish...I have not forgotten you asked me about some games for your iPad that don't require internet. One I play is Frogs and another is Candy Crush. You can play the candy game on FB, but you can also just go to the app store and download it and play it without being connected.
A word puzzle kind of like Sudoku is called Wordundrum and it is fun. I just have the free version.

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to bears99

Dropping off one I did tonight for a challenge on another site:

Lifetime Friends By Cdjohnson

tneal40
Diva
tneal40
In response to cdjohnson

Josie..... I have no idea. no word if she left or not today. I know someone slashed their tires, then the radiator leaked, then one of the kids got really sick.... this all in the last two weeks when she said... We are leaving tomorrow mom see you on thursday.. LAST THURSDAY lol so no idea when she will get here. She has no key to the house so if I am school she will have to wait.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 02-11-13 08:45 PM
In response to tneal40

Oh kids......doesn't matter how old they are....we worry! Maybe they decided to stay where they are.

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to charK

• charK Said:
BETSEY it is one of those situations that is cause for some thinking on. Back in the "old" days family in jail, rape, child abuse, sexual abuse, was NOT talked about. NOW everything is talked about to death....and it has no stigma of being bad. It seems to be taken for granted and has no meaning to children and young adults. It is part of their upbringing.

So is that a good thing that we discuss everything or should we go back to taboo? I believe a big part of it has been to help victims. Another is to help people not feel they are responsible for their families actions. We don't want children to be bullied or singled out for ridicule so we make light of situations.

Just noodling it around.

I certaining do agree with all that you have said as far as all the things that are discussed todaY and that information and education on all sorts of things, from mental illness to birth control and all the things that we used to keep so secret. However, it just seems to me that when kids (elementary school age) think that there is nothing wrong with parents going to jail over and over, and it is normal conversation, that I think the punishment aspect is lost. Granted we do send people to jail for dui, posession of marijuana etc. etc. etc. Which are not the same as armed robbery or aggravated battery....but children don't seem to know or care about the differences. The ones that are still keeping secrets are those that are being physically or sexually molested and that is frightening to me.

But you are right........I just think maybe we have gone too far in the other direction from the days of keeping secrets. The thing with bullying is that it seems a lot of it now has to do with bullying of kids who are the cheerleaders, honor students and the ones known as bookworms in my day. And that I really don't understand. Can a kid be too good these days????? And get picked on for that????? It seems so lately! I have a dgd who is bullied for her blond hair, blue eyes and because she plays sports. Now when did those things become things to bully?????

I most cases I do agree with you......I still think, however, that when kids see nothing wrong with doing jail time, they are destined to follow that same path.

Good morning ladies......coffee is on...... It is going to be another warm day here......but will get coooler again beginning tomorrow I think.

Hope you are all digging out from snow and ice.....and its time to at least start looking at the "seed catalogs",,,,,,,spring is not far off. It's already the 12th of Feb.

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to memex9

As for the guy that "didn't mean to shoot the baby".......he obviously meant to shoot someone......he had the gun in hand, pulled the trigger so bad aim is not an excuse. It's like the people/kids shot by wayward bullet shot into the air for celebration, or the ones killed with gangs get into a gun fight and innocents are killed. They still had the gun, were shooting or meaning to shoot, and I say they are as responsible as if they intended to shoot the person injured/dead. Guns around children.......bad news!!!!!!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 02-12-13 04:42 AM
In response to tneal40

Teia...this would make me a nervous wreck! I would be worried sick if one of my children was traveling so far with little grandchildren and a vehicle that had a leaky radiator,

Seriuosly!!!!! I would want to know where they are all the time, but that is me!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 02-12-13 04:46 AM
In response to charK

Char..thank you foe the cute valentine! It made my day!!! I had good intentions to make some valentines this year, but it didn't happen!!!!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 02-12-13 04:46 AM
In response to charK

Char..thank you foe the cute valentine! It made my day!!! I had good intentions to make some valentines this year, but it didn't happen!!!!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 02-12-13 04:47 AM
In response to memex9

Good morning! Ummmmmmmm coffee, thank you!

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to Tishd

Jo I loved the story of Greyden in the snow.....yyou should just copy what you wrote and put it on a page of him in the snowsuit....I am hoping there is a photo......LOL The scene you created brought back wonderful memories of my own children in the winter.....and me making hot chocolate and cookies for when they came in. It all just went so fast....and the grandchildren even faster.......! Lovely story!

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to memex9

I, too was going to make valentines....and yes...Tish.....like you, it did not happen. This card making is more time consuming that a LO. And I have not really liked anything I've done yet...but I will keep at it. I guess I need to use the cricut more....sigh!!!!!

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to memex9

I guess I will address the issue of the little boy being shot. The boyfriend was getting the gun out of the cabinet (I do not know why) and the lock malfunctioned and the gun when off and the bullet hit the child. He lives with these children and has been their father figure. All family members involved do not blame him and say that he originally bought the gun to protect the family because of the worsening conditions in their neighborhood. He feels terrible about the incident. The mother works and is going to nursing school to have a better life and then something like this happens. She is devastated!!

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to cdjohnson

Good morning!

I don't have much time. Rose and I are going to Schaumberg and then Randall Rd. I have to return the plastic box intended for the Christmas tree. It didn't fit. I get to go to Archiver's though.

Jo: cute story about Greyden in the snow.

Tish I laughed at your comment about Max getting off the bus...Van hates wearing his coat. It was quite cold and he still was coming into the house on Sundays without one. However he did have one on this past Sunday.

Ann happy to hear Lara's counts are ok.

Char-I remember you telling us about your brother's baby a long time ago. How horrible.

Cheryl your challenge for colorful Creations is so pretty.

I'd better go...have a great day everyone. bbl.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics