Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: I think I just fell in love...        (Topic#1578235)
jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn

A few days ago I watched the demo video for the silhouette america cameo and I have not been able to stop thinking about it since! It was love at first sight!

I've done some more research and I'm thinking it is just what I need and love all of the things it can do (especially the vinyl, wouldn't that just make for awesome gifts??)

I think if I get it, it will definitly be used a lot, so many projects my first one being my study abroad scrapbook (8 pages in) and I think the cameo would greatly help me with this.

However I am a bit hesitant to make such a big invesment when I am just getting started... but then again I think if I just wait to get it I'm going to be annoyed that I waited to get it because I'm going ro just love it.

Any other people out there make any big invesments like this when you were first starting out?? Do you regret it?
Products Referenced in This Post:

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

After a pack of white 12x12 Bazzil and a roll of adhesive, my next purchase when I was starting out was a wide format printer. I haven't regretted it once. I end out using it on at least every other lo.

I have a cameo and it's great. If you think sb'ing is something you'll continue to enjoy and you have the extra money & space for it, I'd definitely go for it.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to mrsdriver5

You might want to note that this is not a place where you are likely to get anyone to volunteer to talk you out of a scrapbooking purchase. Just saying...

When I started scrapping I just don't think they had as much in the way of expensive investment sort of items. I don't even remember the basic die cutting machines being advertised much. I bought papers and stickers mostly. Yes, I bought things I didn't need... but sometimes find myself even now finding a perfect use for something I bought years ago.

After years of debating it, I finally invested in a die cut machine, the Silhouette SD (the previous version), and like and use it a lot.

I agree with mrsdriver5 I think that if you think you will enjoy it and use it and have the money to spare, you probably can't go wrong.

Edited by KatieJo on 07-04-12 11:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to KatieJo

Lol I don't think I wanted to be talked out of it! I think I just wanted that final little push to get it!!

I definitely have the money and my birthday is this week so I'll have a little extra cash coming my way... Of course I could always put that toward other stuff like my student loans, but really the cameo sounds much more fun

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to jessalynn

I just ordered my silhouette cameo!! I cannot wait until it gets here!!! My scheduled delivery date is July 7th, just in time for my birthday, happy birthday to me

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to jessalynn

Paying bills is overrated!

You'll have lots of fun with your new toy I'm sure!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

It was obviously destined for you to buy the cameo with it being scheduled for delivery on your birthday! I'll wish you happy birthday now since you'll probably be too busy playing with your new toy to bother visiting with the rest of us on Saturday. Enjoy your birthday gift to yourself!

trem1997
Pro
trem1997

Well, happy early birthday to you. I took a look at the video too of the machine and I love it too.

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to trem1997

Congrats....you'll LOVE it!!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Love 2 Learn

happy birthday and enjoy your new toy!

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to madmatter

I got it!!! So excited to keep working with it, I did my first cut and it came out okay, it was super detailed and I think I need to start with less detailed designs and bigger designs until I get the hang of getting it off the mat... that thing is sooooo sticky!!!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

Happy birthday! You can rub your hands over the mat to get it a little less sticky. Is it making good cuts? Mine came with a bad blade, but Silhouette replaced it for free quickly. I'm still working with adjustments for different types of paper. You might check out the cameo blogs for tips also. Have fun!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to jessalynn

Also, if you use a little hook-tool, it really helps in lifting the design off the mat. I have one that I got in my Cricut tool kit. I think Cameo also has a kit on their website.

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn

It's cutting great! Although, I'm cutting off the tops of most of my designs although it is inside the lines and stuff... so I need to figure out what is happening with that. I got the hook tool and the spatula tool with my cameo... I really like the spatula tool and as I've been using it more it's gotten less sticky.

My little cousins are staying with me for the weekend so my time to play with it is limited but I showed them it and made them some stuff and they thought it was so cool!!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to jessalynn

I just got mine too! Haven't had much play time but I think I am going to like it! I do find it very loud tho!
I cut a very intricate piece from their files and it turned out beautifully! Haven't really tried textured pp yet, curious to see how it does with smaller and intricate pieces using Bazzill pp.

I also had an image with the top cut off and I know I was within the border on the screen?? Also had an issue where it would cut properly in most spots and then in other places there would be just barely a faint line where it attempted to cut??
I heard that pp pieces can get stuck in the blade housing, so I gently picked at it with a paper piercer and blew at it. Although I didn't see any pp in it, I haven't had the issue since??!
Also, it isn't very clear as to where to place the mat when loading. I wish there were guides to lay it in between so I knew it was in there right. But then I got to thinking that maybe the machine finds the corner of the pp because it has that optical eye for the print and cut??? Because I notice when it takes the mat in, it moves to the left corner and makes a click and then moves and starts cutting. So maybe getting the mat loaded spot on isn't as important?? So much to learn!
I have been using Cricuts since they hit the market, so this new to me. Lots to learn!

Jessalynn, come back and let me know how you are doing with your machine.
This forum isn't very active, I'd like to see it get more busy!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to ChansGram

Just placed a few cuts in my gallery! I am liking this machine!

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:

This forum isn't very active, I'd like to see it get more busy!

Don't worry Trish, once I sell my Create and all my cartridges, mats and whatnot....I'll be in here all day if I need to....(I really want a Cameo, so keeping my fingers cross that I can get one soon!)

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to GIGIGI30

Well hurry and sell all your goods so you can get a new machine! I got mine for $200- unfortunately I had to wait almost 2 months to get it, but not a big deal, I got it and I'm really liking it!

jessalynn
Tenant
jessalynn
In response to ChansGram

I figured out why it was cutting the top of my mat instead of on the paper despite everything being inside the cutting zone!

I had been putting my mat in and pushing enter to load media... well yesterday I noticed there is another option, load cutting mat! LOL guess in my excitment to play with it I was not looking at what I was doing.

As far as knowing where to load the paper, I would think that it can align it's self to an extent (it didn't realize it was cutting the mat and not the paper) so I think if you put it in crooked enough it would cut that way... actually a few times it has slipped up while cutting, I'm thinking it hit something while moving the paper to make the cuts and that pushed out of alignment and I had to stop it because it just kept cutting. However I always load mine with the lid up, in fact my lid is only down for storage... I like to watch it cut. With the lid up you can see exactly where to load the cutting mat.

My mat is much less sticky now and working great! I've gotten much better at getting the stuff off the mat as well.. I love it!

My $10 gift card to the online store isn't working though so I will have to call them and see what is up with that.

I did manage to get about 50 more images for free though, thanks to a blog I read. In the store type 50 into the search area and it will bring up 50 of the designs that used to come free with the silhouette but don't anymore, but they are still free you just have to add them to your cart and download. (there will be some other designs that come up as well that aren't free but there are only about 4 pages that showed up for me and it doesn't take long to go through and pick out the free ones).

I'm definitly going to need to get a new cutting mat though, because of the cuts I made while loading the thing wrong.

Oh, and if you are having problems with it not cutting though in all of the areas try the double cut, works great!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to jessalynn

Jessalynn, sounds like you are doing good with your machine!
Thanks for the tip on the free images, I will look into that.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics