Username Post: I Smashbook... and I think I want to Scrapbook... help me        (Topic#1578299)
JESblankets
New Kid On the Block
JESblankets

Should I try doing some layouts... should I start with random papers or use a paper pad with a theme and go from there??

Thanks guys!!
i went to the Scrapbook Expo last weekend and got so much stuff with Smashing inmind and I think I want to try Scrapbooking too!!
my Scrapbook Expo haul

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to JESblankets

Welcome When I decided I wanted to try sb'ing it was for my granddaughter's grad. I looked at some lo's on scrapping sites to get a general idea, bought some basic supplies and just began. As I'd work on a page I'd think of things I wanted to do on it, so would look up techniques on sb, youtube, etc. and buy what I needed. Gradually I figured out what styles I like. I'm still working on that book, plus another big one, but with most pages I try to try a new technique or just "change it up" a bit.

All this to say, if I were you, I'd figure out an album theme, then go from there on what papers, embellishments and other things will go with what you're working on. You'll soon have a stash of goodies that you can use as you branch out. Enjoy your new hobby! Judy

JESblankets
New Kid On the Block
JESblankets
In response to mrsdriver5

Judy!!
Thank you!! I think I will start there... there is a pack of paper I have been eyeing for about a month now... that might be my ticket in! I will prob start with doing a book with pictures of me... since there won't be a time line on that! Thanks for the help.

JES

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to mrsdriver5

Hi!

I will give you the standard answer to this first... there are no rules, do whatever makes scrapbooking fun for you.

Now, I have watched your video and it looks like you like lots of different products and looks and have lots of themes and ideas going on there. That makes me wonder if you wouldn't be happier to steer clear of the paper packs for a bit - at least until you are sure of your scrapbooking style. That way you can experiment with lots of different colors, techniques and looks without being confined by the wrong paper pack choice. (Of course if you find a paper pack you love ignore this advice and go for it!! - Remember rule number one.)

I would suggest that you use your photos to help you choose your paper. You'll be less likely to buy something you can't use. And there will always be something new and pretty coming out when you need to shop to suit photos again.

Also, you don't have to create complete albums. You can do a page, put it in a page protector (to keep it safe from dirtiness) and even put it into an album (especially something like a 3 ring binder type) and then move it to another one as you complete more like pages in the future. So, your first layout might be about your addiction to Diet Coke :dietcoke:, your next might be about your pet squirrel and the next might be about your great grandfather Albert etc. etc. They can all go into one album until later. Maybe your albums will never be completely themed. That is OK too.

Finally, the one type of paper I would buy in "packs" or rather "packages" is solid colored cardstock only because it tends to be cheaper that way. Just choose the colors you think you will use. I buy whole packs of black, white, ivory and greens myself.

Anyway, looks like you made a great haul and it should be a lot of fun to play with. Enjoy and welcome to scrapbooking!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics