Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: xyron        (Topic#1578489)
klong618
Tenant
klong618

I have a cricut which I am hoping to get more familiar with and have been interested in the xryon sticker makers though I'm not sure what size is best or if multiple is better. I'm pretty much looking for your opinions on it. Or any suggestions you have for any product that you use that helps you glue your die cuts.

TIA!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to klong618

I have the 510 and the X, and use and love them both. The X is great for small, detailed items, and the 510 accomdates up to 5 inches. I don't have room to store anything larger, so I use my ATG on larger items.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 07-11-12 07:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Luvmyfam

I use my "X" for small letters or items and my creative station which is the 5" xyron for the larger cuts.

I hate the way the xyron makes the adhesive spiders around the letters but the xyron glue eraser cleans that right up.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Henri Jean

I also have an X, a 510, and an ATG.

To take care of the adhesive "webs" I go around the shape with an embossing stylus or dried up ink pen before I take the top layer off.

BTW you can use the adhesive w/ the machine. I do it when I'm feeling frugal.

Edited by Seaexplore on 07-11-12 07:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

klong618
Tenant
klong618
In response to Seaexplore

Thanks for the info can I ask you all about your Atg? I have seen it mentioned everywhere. Is it all you need for most adhesive situations or do you still use glue dots and other things?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to klong618

In very specific circumstances I use other adhesives, like when I want to pop something up with foam, and I still use glue dots with metal and some fabric embellishments, and I do use the Zig 2-way felt-tip for items too narrow for the ATG, but other than those situations, the ATG is pretty much it for me now. I do still have some adhesive squares and use those only when I will probably need to reposition something after putting it down (for example, a very large piece of journaling), since the ATG is pretty unforgiving in that respect.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to klong618

I use my Xyron for diecuts mostly...
(I also love the Xyron for ribbon and chipboard letters....works great!)
Of course, I also use other adhesives for a number of reasons but for die cuts, I use the Xyron a lot!
I use the 250 sticker maker machine. I debated before buying, on what size I would use the most and decided on this "medium" one. I've been very happy with it.
I would recommend it,

Alison

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to kiyawinn

My ATG is my go to most of the time. As Aquabunny said, there are other instances that I'd use other stuff. I tend to use zipdry for ribbons and stuff that doesn't need to have adhesive completely around it. Xyron gets used for stuff that's too small for the ATG and needs more than zipdry will use. Popdots are great for dimension. Yeah, adhesives are a HUGE thing.

klong618
Tenant
klong618

yeah adhesives are this huge category I never really considered before LOL. I was doing very basic layouts with a glue dot runner, mostly photos etc. But I did a more complicated one recently and was layering paper etc and realized I would be out of glue dots before I finished and knew I needed to look at other options. Looks like I'm going to be searching for a 50% coupon soon.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to klong618

J's has a 50% off coupon out right now I think.

klong618
Tenant
klong618

oooo there is no better time then RIGHT now for me either lol

New Kid On the Block
In response to klong618

A new cricut how fun, but you definitely need a Xyron to go with it. I use mine everyday I scrapbook. I have an X for small diecuts, buttons and ribbons, and the 5" and 9" Creative Station I use for photos and die cuts. What I like about the creative stations is that the whole family likes to use them, my husband likes to use the laminate cartridge and my son uses the repostionable for school projects, easier and less mess than glue sticks. I recently got the Xyron Mega Runner and I am loving it. 100' of 1/2" or 1/4" dot adhesive, great for diecuts or photos too. Very easy to change out. Hope this helps. I am one of their facebook fans and recently won a Mega Runner, it is awesome.

Edited by juliebiz on 07-12-12 08:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to juliebiz

I use the Xyron X (1 1/2") for small pieces, and the Xyron 250 (2 1/2") for slightly larger pieces. I also have the Xyron 500 (5") sticker maker, which I haven't used that much.

The 2 smaller ones are extremely useful. I also have the ATG, which is handy for placing a strip of adhesive along the edges of a larger, solid shape. However, if you have a shape with lots of intricate inside cuts, you need to use one of the Xyron machines, so the adhesive will stick to the paper and skip over the cutout portions. Some of the glue may poke out of the cuts but it can be easily removed, as others have described.

I prefer the permanent adhesive and have refills handy for all my machines.

Edited by Solitaire on 07-12-12 09:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Solitaire

Love my ATG - I have one on my scrap desk and one always packed in my crop wagon ready to go to crops! I use it for almost everything.

Love it with the letters on my SLice. However, with my Cricut I lift the letters onto drywall tape to hold the position like they were on the mat so I use the Zigpen 2-way pen to glue those so I don't have to take them off the drywall tape until they are on the scrapbook page. Saves hours and hours of time repositioning the letters right. Can put down a title in 2 minutes instead of 2 hours!

But SLice doesn't leave them in a position I can use so I like the Xyron with those.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to juliebiz

• juliebiz Said:
A new cricut how fun, but you definitely need a Xyron to go with it.

Don't be silly, of course you don't. That's absolutely ludicrous. Plenty of people are getting lots of mileage out of their Cricut without also using a Xyron, so there's no reason to call it a "need", and even less reason to claim that you "definitely need" it.

Edited by aquabunny on 07-12-12 10:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

klong618
Tenant
klong618
In response to Henri Jean

Henri--what an amazing idea with the drywall tape! I will definitely have to try that out.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

sorry for my post, I should of said I like to use xyron because it is easy and mess free. Any adhesive works with die cuts, it is just my choice.

klong618
Tenant
klong618
In response to juliebiz

Honestly, I know it's not a need...but lets be honest most of my crafting room isn't a need LOL but it does seem like something that I would get a lot of use out of and would help me get more use out of my cricut. I appreciate the opinions everyone, I have already decided to invest into an atg and I think the x to try it out and see how I like it.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
  • juliebiz Said:
A new cricut how fun, but you definitely need a Xyron to go with it.

Don't be silly, of course you don't. That's absolutely ludicrous. Plenty of people are getting lots of mileage out of their Cricut without also using a Xyron, so there's no reason to call it a "need", and even less reason to claim that you "definitely need" it.

I think she was just trying to be lighthearted.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I am a bit of an adhesive junkie. I use my ATG for most things. It's the most affordable way to adhere stuff to my layouts. I use Glossy Accents for heavy items, glue dots for smaller embellishments, and pop dots when dimension is called for. I do have a glue pen, but honestly, Xyron does a far better job, in my opinion. I will use my glue pen to reach corners and areas that I didn't stick down well enough in the first place. I also use hand held runners for classes. I find the smaller size helps me move fast, and most classes seem fast-paced. But, I admit that I haven't bought a small runner in years. I have several that I received for free years ago.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics