Username Post: Gromlet frustration        (Topic#1578515)
Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

OK, I sprang for a Big Bit and have punched holes and set eyelets with no problem. What's the deal with gromlets?! Per the instructions you do not punch a hole for a gromlet, and they are to be set upside down on a block that does not hold them in place and then you lay your paper upside down on that and blindly squeeze the setting block down to set it. I just don't get it. Everything seems to be done blindly so you can't see where the gromlet is going into your paper. I can't even tell if the gromlet is properly aligned with the upper block so that it will set properly.

Has anyone conquered this challenge? If so, can you explain it in simple terms or shall I just whang these puppies flat and glue them on?!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-12-12 01:55 PM
In response to Ms. Fit

I don't care what the instruction says, I would always punch a hole first so it goes exactly where I want it.

Also, is anyone else bothered by their continued use of the word "gromlet"??

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to stick

You have to punch a hole! It makes no sense otherwise! Are these WRMK gromlets or an off-breed with ridiculous instructions?

I actually kind of like the word gromlet.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to cindy312

Gromlet comes from it being larger like a grommet.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stick

• stick Said:
I don't care what the instruction says, I would always punch a hole first so it goes exactly where I want it.

Also, is anyone else bothered by their continued use of the word "gromlet"??

Yes!

Gromlet is not a *thing.*

eyelet
and grommet

similar, but slightly different. Both come in various sizes.

"Gromlet" is some kind of made-up hybrid thing, intended to confuse and sell more products.

If you doubt me, just check out the definition in the urban dictionary.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Bxr-Linda

When I first started scrapbooking I learned pretty quickly that in the scrapbooking world gromets are not gromets they are called eyelets lol But that was when there was a regular sb tv show that I watched as often as possible.

Hope she's able to figure it out.

Edited by Cindyckj on 07-12-12 06:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Cindyckj

Sorry to take so long to get back to this but have been out of town.

Yep, the gromlets are WRMK. The instructions for setting them seem ridiculous. I did try punching a hole first which does help get the darned thing where I want it on the page. However, you still have to blindly "set" it upside down and have no idea whether it is perfectly aligned with the upper and lower blocks. I have messed up, and thus wasted, a number of gromlets trying to do this. (Or maybe all those dents count as "distressing!" LOL) I swear I will never buy these little suckers again--and I just bought a bunch of different colors, all a big waste.

If no one has a solution for this, I guess I'll try setting them manually like a regular eyelet. If that doesn't work, I'll try smashing the back side down somehow without distorting the top and then just glue them on with glue dots.

And I do agree "gromlet" is a goofy name for them and feel silly every time I say it.

Thanks to all for trying to help. Spread the word--don't waste your $$ on gromlets!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Ms. Fit

My very first tool ever purchased when I started sctapbooking was a used anywhere whole punch/eyelet setter.

Several months later I bought the hammer instead of using the full size hammer from the garage tool box.

I know they make quieter whole punches and eyelet setters but these work great. So I still use them to this day.
Products Referenced in This Post:
Making Memories - Hammer (Discontinued)

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics