Username Post: Newer products at Michaels.        (Topic#1578525)
Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

Well hello everybody. The kids and I were in Michaels today and I spotted a "knock off" 12/12 version of Amy Tan's Sketchbook. It almost matched hers to the T but it wasnt double sided. It also had tags and other elements and some vellum ppr. It was 40% off by Recollections. I also saw they have the Sew Easy products, more Smash items (tapes and such)
Here are a few of the pprs I found. Have a good one.

Products Referenced in This Post:

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to Mia1979

I saw those yesterday as well and thought it was weird. On the same rack was an exact replica of Teresa Collins Everyday Moments papers and MME Miss Caroline papers. I thought about picking up TC paper but I didn't because I didn'tunderstand how Recollections brand has exactly copied these papers without putting MME, AC or TC names anywhere on them.

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to Mia1979

I saw those yesterday as well and thought it was weird. On the same rack were exact 12 x 12 replicas of Teresa Collins Everyday Moments and MME Miss Caroline papers. I thought about picking up TC paper but I didn't because I didn't understand how Recollections brand has exactly copied these papers without putting MME, AC or TC names anywhere on them.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to danigirl786

See I didnt see any of those, they must be coming to our area soon.

klong618
Tenant
klong618
In response to Mia1979

I read something on another blog...or was it here??? Anyways that recollections is actually just michael's paper name but the paper is made by the original company who designed it. Similar to the dynex brand at best buy they are just best buys company but mostly made by toshiba and other big name companies for a cheaper price point.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to klong618

I have no idea what rules each company must abide by. I do not think that a corporation as large as Michaels would break copyright laws. Many stores ( discount, grocery, etc) offer a "house brand" that is labeled for them but it is made by a name brand company. Often the packaging will say "packaged for" or something similar to that. Hope that everyone can find the paper they like and at a price point that allows them to get what they need for a project. Happy crafting everyone.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to pinkpaperairedale

It confused the heck out of me when I purchased Recollections "Night and Fall" Stack and found out it is the exact same designs as American Crafts' "Nightfall" collection.

Seriously, it blew my mind.
Products Referenced in This Post:

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to kelseymel

Yeah, it's nothing illegal or sketchy. They're are some that are licensed to Ms and/or some that make the cheap versions for them. They're as they're mentioned- cheap/flimsy versions of the original- same design, but made for less.

I have another Recollections pad that's copies of MME- and they do look good, and useful for things where it doesn't matter that it's on a thin thin flimsy piece of paper instead of nice good lookin cardstock.

-k

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to Mia1979

Mia, where are you located? I'm in Delaware, just saw these papers the other day. I think I will end up getting the TC papers; I've wanted them for a while anyway so why not? I particularly love the colors and geometric patterns. And since it's Michael's, no shipping charges!!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979

I live in Milwaukee, WI. I actually did get the Amy Tan look a like pad, the only difference is the variations of some of the pprs and they are not double sided.

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to Mia1979

Do you feel like they are "inferior" in quality, like thinner paper or colors off? I wanna get TC paper so bad and don't really care if paper thinner becuz I can always back whole page with cardstock. Just curious. I frequently buy papers/cs from big box stores because it is generally cheaper and haven't had issue with it yet. I would love to get everyhting from big names, but too spendy and I don't have any stores around besides M's, Joanne or ac moore. No little lss, though I would love to have some.

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac

I wish I had known this before I purchased the TC Everyday Moments from this website! LOL! I am going to check out my Michael's this weekend! Thanks, Mia:)

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC
In response to Mia1979

• Mia1979 Said:
Well hello everybody. The kids and I were in Michaels today and I spotted a "knock off" 12/12 version of Amy Tan's Sketchbook. It almost matched hers to the T but it wasnt double sided. It also had tags and other elements and some vellum ppr. It was 40% off by Recollections. I also saw they have the Sew Easy products, more Smash items (tapes and such)
Here are a few of the pprs I found. Have a good one.

Mia-Do you remember the name of the paper stack? I looked at M's today and didn't see it. I saw several girlie/retro looking paper stacks, but not any that were a match for AT.

And come to think of it, I did notice that there is a random single PP that is a ringer for the Pebbles banner PP, but without the glitter.

OTOH, I think it's weird that they have like one Basic Grey pp in their whole wall of pp's. What's the point?

Edited by LesleyC on 07-13-12 04:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to LesleyC

The paper is pretty sturdy, not flimsy. Its called "The Create Collection" the one that resembles Amy Tan Sketchbook Collection.

Resident
In response to Mia1979

Saw a Recollection Christmas line today at our Michael's here in Cincy!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stvmom2

My M's has about 10 BasicGrey papers in their racks... they're so old I don't even remember what line they're from.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to designguyKORY

Kory I remember ours had basic grey urban prairie. For the longest .

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics