Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: colors off        (Topic#1578615)
Tenant

So I'm trying to print a photo for my Easter LO. But the colors will not print correctly. I've run a test pattern print and all of the ink heads are printing as they should. But when I try to print this picture, the colors are off. The skin tones look good and my daughter's red shirt looks fine, but the garden hose green house in the background is coming out admiral grey and my niece's dress is the wrong shade of blue.

Is this a problem with my printer? Or is it a problem with my color management? I'm editing the photos in PSE6 on a Mac and printing on a Canon MG6120. What should the color management settings be? If I set it to have PSE manage the colors, it says to turn off color management in the printer preferences dialog, which I can't find.

I would just send the photo to Costco to print, but I'm trying to print a funky size that Costco doesn't do. (3x2)

TIA for your help!
Rebecca

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to rebeccarichards

either Photoshop's color printing settings are messing with the color or the printer's printing setting are messing with the color.

or something within either is messing with the color. Example: the "printer profile" in Photoshop or the printer may have a "photo or color correct" setting that is checked.
You might try changes a few settings and making test printouts.

this may not be the overall solution but to me... if the most important thing is to get the color right on a particular printout, I make another copy of the photo and then start experimenting with adjusting the photo in Photoshop until it prints out the way I want.
You can repeat a small section of the area, change the color a few different ways, print it out and then pick the one you like best.

There can be disconnect between what you see on your monitor and what prints out. Some monitors have settings that have more contrast or are brighter. I consistently was having a problem with my printouts being too dark. It was because my monitor was set too bright and was misrepresenting the images.
So you may be seeing color on your monitor that does not even represent the true colors in the file BUT you can change your file so that when it prints out you get what you want. This is a common problem with sunsets. They look great on the screen but all washed out when printed out.

PS don't get hung up on the size. Put multi version of the image on a larger sheet. Adjust the images slightly (make one slightly bluer, make one slightly more yellow) and then pick the one you like best.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

You can do 3x2 or any other funky size anywhere by placing the photo on a larger canvas in your photo editor and proportioning it correctly. For example, a 3x2 would take up a quarter of the space of a 4x6 print.

Tenant
In response to aquabunny

Gelidy Gelato: do you know how to fix the settings? The colors on the monitor are correct, just not when I print.

aquabunny: I might try that. Have to run to Costco to pick up other prints tonight anyway....

I wonder if I try a different paper if it will make any difference?

Babylou
Diva
Babylou

Have you checked your ink levels? Sounds to me like you are low or out of blue or yellow ink. Just an idea.

Tenant
In response to Babylou

All the ink tanks are new. Blue wasn't printing earlier, but I did a test pattern print and cleaned the heads and they are all printing fine now.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Make sure that all your "Colour Management" settings are the same....your printer, photo software, computer monitor and camera ALL have to be set the same or you can get "muddy" colours or mixed up colours.
They should all be set to "adobeRGB" or "sRGB".
sRGB is what most photo places print with so it's best to leave it at that if you send away to print. Printers will often print better in adobeRGB so you can set everything to that if you print a lot at home.....

Hope this helps!
Alison

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

in Photoshop open up the "print" window

Look for something like "Color Handling:" with a pulldown menu. If it says "Printer Manages Colors" you may want to change it to "Photoshop Manages Colors" and do a test print.

If there are any check boxes or other pulldown menus hover your mouse over them so you can read what they say. If they say anything like "compenstates" "color corrects" "fixes" "Match print colors" uncheck them and do a test print.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Gelidy Gelato

and... don't be so sure the color on your monitor represents the actual color in the file. If you have a way to look at the image on something else like a phone, ipad, another computer you might want to double check this assumption.

I have two monitors using the same computer and the color varies between the two monitors. It has to do with the quality of the monitors, the factory set settings like gamma, etc.

AND remember you are looking at a "back light" monitor. You will never see the richness of color and detail comparing the monitor image to a paper printout from a home printer.

BUT the color shift you are seeing is common and usually is the result of a monitor that is not color calibrated or software highjacking the printing process and changing the color because it thinks it knows better.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Your computer monitor may not be calibrated the same as your printer. If you want to see the stuff on your screen in true color you can buy this thing called Spyder, you stick it to your screen, run a program, and then it "fixes" the color calibration by telling your computer to add more green or less red or whatever your setup needs to view colors accurately.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to angie girl

• angie girl Said:
Your computer monitor may not be calibrated the same as your printer. If you want to see the stuff on your screen in true color you can buy this thing called Spyder, you stick it to your screen, run a program, and then it "fixes" the color calibration by telling your computer to add more green or less red or whatever your setup needs to view colors accurately.

I think that would only affect the way you view it on your monitor....that doesn't explain why photos aren't printing in the right colours.....

Alison

SherylEb
Guru
SherylEb
In response to kiyawinn

I'm glad there are some computer gurus around here. I'm learning a lot about the colors just reading your answers.

If you know, my computers been saying monitor driver something and it has been recovered. The screen goes black, but comes back. Does that mean monitors getting ready to die, or something in pc is. I know they've told me before, if it's on the mother board, it's cheaper to just get new pc. I keep backing up my pics and stuff just in case. PC has Vista, so I'm sure it's time to be updates. Monitor is older an that.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
  • angie girl Said:

I think that would only affect the way you view it on your monitor....that doesn't explain why photos aren't printing in the right colours.....

Alison

Not true.

And it's easy. Because if they're edited to the true colors ON the SCREEN, if the colors ON the SCREEN are off, you'll easily think that what prints is wrong.

Printing the "wrong color" as compared to what you see on the screen can also be a screen calibration issue. If your screen is calibrated then you edit to ACCURATE colors.

So, for example, say you edit your photo to the colors you want (on an uncalibrated monitor) and the print comes out tinged any particular color. If the monitor was calibrated then the person could see that that particular color is off and correct it before printing.

Just because it's printing off color does not mean it's absolutely a printer problem. Not saying it could NOT be, but it's just as much as a possibility as it being a color calibration issue.

That said, the software isn't for everyone. To get a good correction, it's recommended to not get the starter-level software, but something a step up.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to kiyawinn

Calibration will coordinate the color you see on screen with the color your printer outputs. That's the whole point in calibrating the monitor with the printer. The only problem I have found with this is that on my laptop what I see depends on the position in which the flip-up monitor is set, so it's different every time I open the laptop. For that reason I have given up using PS on my laptop and just use the desk top, on which I have run the Spyder for calibration.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Ms. Fit

Ok, not saying that calibration isn't a good idea for some but you are assuming that she played with the colours of her photos....if you are just cropping and printing for example...monitor calibration, though off, would have nothing to do with how they print....just sayin'

Alison

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Ok, not saying that calibration isn't a good idea for some but you are assuming that she played with the colours of her photos....if you are just cropping and printing for example...monitor calibration, though off, would have nothing to do with how they print....just sayin'

Alison

Even if she didn't play with the colors and only cropped and printed, what comes out of her printer could look vastly different from her monitor. I have printed the same shot on different printers using the same software same paper, same inks and same settings (I'm lucky enough to have three printers hooked up at the moment) and each printer prints differently from what the image looks like on my monitor.

Proper calibration takes into account the printer, the media, the monitor and the camera. (I have digital photos from 7 different cameras in my library and each camera has differences in color cast and density)

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to moxiegirl23

I'm not arguing that the colours can LOOK different, only that calibrating the monitor, in and of itself, will not CHANGE the way your photos print and the OP was asking about the printing of her photos....
Besides, calibrators (at least here) can cost $200. It's not the cheapest fix....
Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to try some other things??

Alison

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to kiyawinn

But if the only place you've seen the photo is on your monitor, and the colors look different when it prints and your only point of reference for the colors being "off" is how it looked on your monitor, then it is perfectly possible that the monitor, NOT the printer, is the place where the colors are actually off.

And yes, calibrating the monitor WILL change the way your photos print in that it will allow you to tweak the photos to look on-screen exactly how you want them to look when printed. If the monitor is properly calibrated, she can then tweak the photo to look exactly how she wants when it prints, instead of assuming/guessing that the way it looks on screen while she's tweaking it is the way it will print.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to aquabunny

I believe that the problem is that your monitor needs to be calibrated. Forget about the calibrating software that comes with your operating system. Thats like putting a band aid on a bullet wound, it doesnt work. You need calibrating hardware. I use the Spyder Express http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-Spyder4Expr ess-S4X100-D... you can probably find it cheaper in Ebay. Thats what my former photography professor, Joe Billera advised me when I turned in some cartoonish looking photos for an assignment. I bought the hardware, used it and it worked great for me. Btw, I paid $100.00 US for it and it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy worth it.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
I'm not arguing that the colours can LOOK different, only that calibrating the monitor, in and of itself, will not CHANGE the way your photos print and the OP was asking about the printing of her photos....
Besides, calibrators (at least here) can cost $200. It's not the cheapest fix....
Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to try some other things??

Alison

You don't need fancy schmancy equipment and software to calibrate. In a pinch, you can print out a picture from your computer, look at it and adjust your monitor settings until the image on your monitor is similar to the print out. I've done this because I can think of a gazillion things that I'd rather spend money on instead of screen calibration equipment (though if I win the Mega Millions tonight, all bets are off!) It cost me a whopping 65 cents (my estimated cost of printing an 8x10 at home ) and about 15 minutes of my time. Yes, spending a lot of money on high end equipment (including a state of the art printer and monitor and a camera with high grade glass for the lens) is going to give you the best results, but there are cheap and easy fixes for a lot of things.

As for calibrating the monitor not changing the way photos are printed... yes it will. Because if your monitor doesn't match what the printer is doing and all of your print management settings are correct, then calibration is needed so that when you look at your screen, you see exactly what your printer is going to reproduce, which means you are going color correct and lighten/darken differently based on what the screen shows you.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics