Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Background Paper        (Topic#1578621)
New Kid On the Block

I have a basic question about background paper. Do you usually glue the paper onto the pages that come with the album? Or do you use your own paper and get rid of the ones they give you with the album? I have always glued my own paper onto the pages that come with the album. Most of the time, the background paper I want to use is not sturdy enough to be the foundation for the page. Even when using colored card stock for the background, I don't always want the page on the other side to be the same color. One of my friends told me that some albums don't even come with the white pages anymore because most people just use their own paper. Also, if you do glue the paper to the white pages, what kind of adhesive do you use?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to janelle520

It's just a matter of preference - do what you like

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to janelle520

I remove all the white inserts, but I keep them. I use them for practice, or often print my own backgrounds on them with my wide format printer. They could also be stamped, misted, etc. to use for the base paper. Sometimes I cut embellishments out of them. Anyway, I save and use the inserts.

If you're using pp, you'll have two in one protector (one for each side's lo), so it is sturdy enough w/o using the white sheet. With cardstock, sometimes I use both sides, but again, often use a different pp or cs on the other side. There is room in most protectors for two pieces of cardstock, plus embellishments.~Judy

Oh...and welcome to the site!

SueLovesToScrap
Veteran
SueLovesToScrap
In response to mrsdriver5

I also remove the white inserts and save them for inking, gluing, etc., to save on mess. Like mrsdriver5 says, if you use 2 pages back to back you should be fine. I use a lot of embellishments so I can sometimes only fit one in an insert but I like working on a heavier cardstock for my backgrounds.

ItsPronounced_Abear
Tenant
ItsPronounced_Abear
In response to SueLovesToScrap

I always just slide my layouts into each side of the white sheet... leaving the sheet there as a divider between the 2 sides. Never occurred to me to remove it OR glue my pages to them.

Good idea to find some nice big scratch paper in my old albums though.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ItsPronounced_Abear

I ditch the white sheets. I layer a lot of cardstock on my layouts and they can get a big thick. I don't need the extra bulk.

When I start to work on a new layout I put one of the white sheets on my scrap table and arrange my photos, embellies, etc. Then after that I can match my patterned paper and cardstock becuase the colors kind of jump off the page at me.

Then I transfer everything to the paper I've chosen and put the white paper aside to start my next layout.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Henri Jean

I have never even thought to use the white inserts for anything.

I usually have a thick cardstock as my base with pp, embellishments, photos, etc. on top which usually makes my layouts pretty thick too.

That's a great idea Henri Jean....I might have to try that too.

Edited by pamela.tx on 07-25-12 10:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to pamela.tx

I know with CM albums you can buy pages or you can buy side loading sleeves. In the past I have always bought pages but I have started using the side loading pages and I love them. With the side loading pages you use your own paper. With the regular pages you have to glue your paper down. When I attach paper I just attach it with the CM tape. I have pages that have lasted for 10 years with this method

Sheila9447
Resident
Sheila9447
In response to pamela.tx

I leave the white sheet in and slip my layout in front of it. Since I use thick embellishments I can only fit one layout in each page protector. I like the finished uniform look of all my layouts having a white back. Plus it hides things like the back of brads, etc...

Also if I do not journal on the front of my layout I add a pretty journaling tag/card to the back on the white sheet.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Sheila9447

There are no rules; it's just preference, I guess. I never use those inserts - it just makes the page protector bulkier, to my way of thinking. I use those inserts for cutting mats for my photos, when I use them at all.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 07-25-12 12:32 PM
In response to meezerpleaser

Some like to keep the white pages between LO's to make them more sturdy. I myself keep the pages as you never know when you might need some white paper. If you do choose to attach your LO to the white cardstock, Zig glue dots are great as they can be repositioned or removed later on.

daschweder
Veteran
daschweder
In response to KDQ

I keep the white inserts for practice layouts or as a cleaning page for glues etc.. With 2 pages per protector it should bee pretty solid.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to daschweder

When I have protectors that have the white inserts, I like to leave them in for two reasons - a bit of added stability when putting the first layout in, and a way to keep the backs of two layouts from snagging on each other (ribbon, eyelet backs, brad backs, etc) when putting the second layout in.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to aquabunny

I use the white (or black - I have both) inserts as card-stock. It's perfectly sturdy enough for something which is going to be put in a page protector with another LO behind it. It's also good for matting photos, as it adds contrast without too much bulk. And it's free. Well, paid-for!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel

I use D-ring albums. They don't come with pages. The page protectors I use don't come with any inserts.

I typically create my layouts on cardstock.

As mentioned, it's a matter of preference, and whatever works best for you.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Bxr-Linda

I remove the white pages because my scrpbooks get chunky enough without them.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Crafting Marfa

I generally keep it in until I know how thick my pages will be. If they are sturdy enough to stand up well on their own, I remove the paper and use it as "free" cardstock.

If my pages are kind of flimsy, I keep it but I don't adhere my page with any adhesive. That way, I only need the one sturdy sheet to support two back-to-back flimsy LO's, but still have the option of moving those same LO's to other places in the album. In other words, two back-to-back pages don't end up in that permanent condition and can be separated from each other.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to KatieJo

I take them out too.. i use post bound and mostly do 2 pagers.. so it gets really tight and bulky. But i do reuse them for several different things. But it is just a matter of what you like.

punchcrazy
Tenant
punchcrazy
In response to kajunkat

I also remove the white pages and use them for other things.

Diva
In response to punchcrazy

I keep the white pages that come in the albums but use my own paper for my layouts.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics