Username Post: Need a device to do this cut        (Topic#1578661)
New Kid On the Block

Looking for a punch, scissors or a tool to make a very fine sawtooth edge cut on thick paper. It needs to be very fine enabling about 15 to 20 teeth per inch of cut. The picture below will show you what I am looking for. I have read that pinking shears are not good for paper due to blades dulling. Also, sawtooth scissors do not appear to give the fine cut I'm looking for. It will not be used a lot so cost will be a factor as well. I'm virtually "googled" out at this point. Hopefully somebody can help. Thank you.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-17-12 06:57 PM
In response to Don_Lightfoot

Hmm. I've never seen pinking shears that have that fine a tooth but if you can find one I'd definitely go that route. The only other thing that I can think of is to buy an electronic cutter plus software and you may have to design the cut in the software - setting you back a few hundred for the initial purchase. Obviously hand-cutting with an x-acto blade is theoretically an option as well. But I don't know how thick a paper you're considering or how many inches/feet of sawtooth you need to cut.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to stick

A rotary trimmer with a pinking blade?

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to corrie fan

Exactly HOW thick? 100lb paper? more?
And exactly how much will you be cutting?
These factors will help determine what can be used. Most standard punches will not give you fine cuts on the thickest papers, and neither will scissors or blades.

Your best bet with really thick paper would be a die cut machine. There are edger dies that give cuts like you've shown. However, an investment of 60-80 dollars will be silly if you're only cutting a tiny amount of paper. In that case, your best bet would be to borrow a machine from someone or use one at a store (teacher's supply store or scrapbook store).

New Kid On the Block
In response to tinacome

I want to thank you for the replies and suggestions.

What I am dealing with here is peel-off glue backed paper (get at Staples, etc.) that is sealed on the surface with extremely thin clear 3M vinyl. It could be the glue and the vinyl will make "fine" cutting difficult to begin with, I'm not really sure. The width I am cutting is about one inch.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

OK, with that info, I'd definitely say you need a manual die cut machine.
Punches and scissors aren't going to cut cleanly through adhesive-backed/laminated paper. Electronic cutters could work if they have a deep cutting blade, but getting a fine cut could be tricky. Manual machines that cut with pressure and not a blade would be your best bet, IMO.

I would check if there are any places that have a machine you could use. Perhaps they also have a die cut that would work, otherwise you'd have to buy your own. There are edger die cuts like that one I linked below. There are also different ones available, but not available through this store.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-18-12 12:42 PM
In response to tinacome

But again - I don't think I've ever seen a die that will do a sawtooth with 15-20 teeth per inch. If you don't mind fewer teeth you should be able to get something, though.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to stick

Oops, yeah, I didn't see that part! As far as I know there are no papercrafting dies that will do 15-20 teeth per INCH.....that's freaking TINY, LOL!

What exactly are you going to be using this for? I guess I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose, and therefore not knowing what to suggest.

New Kid On the Block
In response to tinacome

My hobby is not really scrapbooking, but various google searches brought me to scrapbooking and then this forum.

My hobby is Classic Musclecars from the 60's. As part of that hobby I help out a lot of my fellow enthusiasts by replicating original decals and stickers for these cars.

The item in question is a coil spring tag which the factory wrapped around one of the coils on the spring to identify the model and strength of the spring. When the car was being built on the assembly line and the car buildsheet said "front coils BQ" then the line worker reached into the parts bin and pulled out the appropriate tagged spring and installed it.

What I do is apply the appropriate printing using the correct original fonts and colours on peel off backing paper. I then use a process to apply the thin clear vinyl (guess you could call it laminating). Then I trim them to the appropriate size which most are 5" long by about 1" wide. I am able to replicate everything else almost dead on except the serrated edges. See picture below.

My apologies if I have wasted your time since it really isn't "your" kind of craft. Thanks again.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-18-12 02:38 PM

Actually I think it's pretty interesting, and there's a ton of possibility for crossover with techniques and tools among lots of hobbies and industries.

I wonder if a pancake die would work, I'd think you should be able to find a machinist who could make one for you.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to stick

I agree, it's interesting! Many of us aren't only scrapbookers, by the way, several do other types of arts and work with metals, plastic, chipboard, acrylic, etc. So we see questions of this sort now and then....always fun to share ideas and help out fellow craftsmen/women!

Off the top of my head, I don't know of a die that will give you that look, but I still think only a manual die cut machine will work (unless there is another process besides electronic cutters, scissors, etc that I'm unaware of). Pancake die sounds interesting...

New Kid On the Block
In response to tinacome

Thank you for the further input. For the time being I purchased a set of pinking shears that were the finest teeth I could find, but not really close to the original. Steve of Tonic Studios is sending me a sample from his Rotary Perforator. If it will perforate the paper I'm dealing with then I could take a knife and cut along the perforations to get the same effect. Hopefully it will be finer than what I just bought.

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant

good luck!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to whateveriwant

Good luck, I love when people drop by here with projects like this!

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

Found a solution. Small packing tape dispenser from Staples with a fine sawtooth cutting edge $3.49. Works pretty good and very close to what I wanted (pic below). Remember, this is less than an inch wide. Thanks for all the help.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-26-12 09:45 AM

Perfect! It's a pretty nice border, too, I may try that sometime

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to stick

Glad you found something that works. I was just gonna suggest a tape dispenser too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics