Username Post: Preserving letters, papers from school, report cards, etc...        (Topic#1578669)
arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac

Happy Wednesday, everyone! I was wondering if there is anything I can put on my letters, kids' report cards, etc to preserve my memories on my scrapbook pages. I love to include items such as tickets and letters to make my pages more personal. I have started included my little "memory bits" in little pockets that I get from the scrapbook stores. Is there a spray or anything that I need to be using to preserve my memories from fading over a period of time? Or is putting them in acid free pockets enough? Thank you for your time and have a great scrappin' week! Artesha

Edited by arteshamac on 07-18-12 05:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to arteshamac

You can purchase spray products such as Archival Mist or Krylon Make-It-Acid-Free to use on items like that.

Diva

I scan all those items and use the scanned copies on my lo's. I keep the originals in an envelope stuck to the back cover of the album. Some albums come with this kind of envelopes but you can create one easily from a 12x12 page.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

• arteshamac Said:
Is there a spray or anything that I need to be using to preserve my memories from fading over a period of time?

Sprays like Archival Mist or Make it Acid-free will NOT stop things from fading. Things fade because of the paper quality and ink quality used. The sprays may help contain the acid (if they are acidic), but to be honest, I don't know how much those hold up. Nobody really knows if those sprays will last decades because they haven't been around long enough to test. Some are SUPER expensive too - more than $50 for a small can.

Personally, I just put them in paper pockets and store them in scrapbooks. I have memorabilia that is over 100 years old and it doesn't look bad at all and it has never been treated with anything. I would scan the items so you have a backup. If you're really worried about the acid/lignin content, then use the scanned copies in your books and keep the originals somewhere safe.

arteshamac
Governor
arteshamac
In response to tinacome

Thanks, everyone...for all of your wonderful suggestions and help! Artesha

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics