Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Car shopping...        (Topic#1578719)
pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Time for DH and I to shop for a new/used car/suv

What kind of vehicle do you have?
Do you like it?
Has it been reliable?
Anything you don't like about it?
Any major issues?
What is your mpg?

If you could buy any car, what would you buy?

I haven't written off my 2001 Chrysler Town and Country with 173K miles yet, but it soon may be time to let it go.

I have a few vehicles in mind but am torn between getting something brand new in the affordable range or used and reliable in the affordable range. I am also torn between car for better gas mileage or small suv because after 9 years of a mini-van, I don't know about driving a car so low to the ground.

Just wondering what you have that you have found to be reliable. I know there's always the possibility of a lemon, but I can only get so much from online reviews from strangers

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to pugs223

My boyfriend bought a Chevy Cruz last year. It's a nice, sharp car!

I understand, I drive an Escape, and not sure I could get used to sitting low to the ground either....lol. Although, it took awhile to get used to sitting up high too!

He got the ECO version.
I think he gets somewhere around 34-36 mpg.
I know he really likes it and hasn't had any problems.

It has the ability to check your miles as you're driving, tire pressure, and some other stuff too.

I like that he has the usb plug for music.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to pugs223

I had a 2001 Saturn L300 that we bought new. I finally got a new car this past March.

I have a Jeep Liberty now.
What I love:
-towing capacity (it's good for a small SUV)
-great pickup on the freeway (I have the 3.7L V6)
-large rear seat area
-plastic wet well in the cargo area (used it way more than I thought I would)
-all plastic molded door panels (a minus for some, a plus for me and my kiddos)
-reclining back seats (my 12 year old loves them)

What I don't like:
-gas mileage
-having a car payment again

The gas mileage isn't bad for an SUV, but it's worse than my Saturn was which had roughly the same sized V6 engine. The cargo area isn't overly large. It's on par with a mid size sedan trunk as far as what you can get in there. But when you fold the seats down you get a ton more room than any car.

If I could buy any car? Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Call of Duty edition :). But it was out of my price range.

Edited by photo_chick on 07-19-12 11:36 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to photo_chick

Thanks for the input. 35-40 mpg is so appealing since I have a 30 mile commute to work. However, SUV AWD/4WD in a WI winter when I have a 30 mile drive to work is also appealing....

See what I'm working with here?

I am looking at the Toyota Rav4 2009-2010

or

Toyota Camry

or

Ford Focus

or

VW Jetta

or

Subaru

or

The list goes on

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to photo_chick

• photo_chick Said:
If I could buy any car? Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Call of Duty edition :). But it was out of my price range.

Nice, very nice

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Time for DH and I to shop for a new/used car/suv

What kind of vehicle do you have? 2008 CHEVY EQUINOX

Do you like it? LOVE IT

Has it been reliable? VERY EXCEPT FOR ONE SPARK PLUG WIRE RECALL WHICH WAS FIXED FOR FREE

Anything you don't like about it? SUNROOF LEAK BUT IT WAS FINE FOR 4 YEARS BEFORE THIS

Any major issues? NO

What is your mpg? 20/23Highway

If you could buy any car, what would you buy?
THE NEW ESCAPE OR ANOTHER EQUINOX

i don't really want another car because I love being higher up. I rented an Impala last week and it's soooo low to the ground. Also with my back issues the SUV is better for me

Edited by Just G on 07-19-12 02:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Just G

PS a few people I know have Jeep Grand Cherokees and love them.

I like the Chevy Malibu/Impala or Ford Fusion as well but like being higher up in an SUV/Truck

Edited by Just G on 07-19-12 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to pugs223

I would not get the Ford Focus unless you are going brand new.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to NMlady

• NMlady Said:
I would not get the Ford Focus unless you are going brand new.

This. I bought a used one in 2002 (it was a 2000), and it needed major engine repair in 2004. That's ********. I waited until the check engine light went off one day and traded it in for a jeep liberty that I loved but it was a lease so I had to turn it back in. When I traded in my then 4 year old Focus I only got 500 for trade in. It was only 4 years old!!

Now I have a Nissan Rogue and love it!!! DH has a Nissan Titan. We will only own Nissans from here on out. They're super reliable and they run forever. My first car when I was 16 was a used and old Toyota and that thing would never die and it had tons and tons of miles on it.

IMO, you should get a used but reliable Nissan or Toyota. They run forever. If you get a used one, make sure you get a certified one.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to angie girl

I drive a 2000 Dodge Intrepid with 210K miles on it. Just redid and cooling system ourselves. Love the car. It gets 26 mpg. No minuses. Huge trunk.

We have a 2005 Sequoia Limited. LOVE that truck! Horrid gas mileage 17 not towing, 15 towing. It's sooooo comfortable! Leather everything. Power everything. No complaints other than mileage.

DH has a 1995 T-100. It's a work truck, need I say more? Lol

We also have a 2004 Corvette. AWESOME mileage, great car, too small for the 3 of us.

Of all of the cars, we drive my Intrepid the most.

I love the new Camry's. My SIL has one and I got to drive it for a week. Awesome. Drives just like my Intrepid.

My choice? A RAV-4 or Camry. I love SUV's and crossovers.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to Seaexplore

I just bought a new to me Subaru Outback a few months ago. I love that car.

I drove 8 hours straight on 1 tank of gas and that included siting in construction traffic 3 times.

My husband likes to take my car whenever he can. We both really like it. It's a 2000 with 120,000 miles on it. I've put 3000 on since I bought it.

It's big enough for the 4 of us with the kid's boosters and they have plenty of room. DH and I have plenty of room I'm 5'8 and he's 6'0. I can sit comfortable in the car and so can he.

DH drives a Chevy Caviler and I hate that thing. I feel squished in it and he said he didn't realize how small it was until he drove my car.

I've also looked at the Subaru Forester and I think I'll probably go with something like that next. Right now I needed more cargo space because of the kids.

Oh and the dog likes my car. She has anxiety about car rides and she loves mine. DH takes mine when he takes her to the groomer because she's so much more relaxed, and he likes to drive my car.

CelineR
New Kid On the Block
CelineR
In response to foltzy

It's nice to know about that. Congrats to your new car. Anyway, I can say that buying a brand new car is a big decision, and it should not be rushed. That does not suggest it is okay to take forever though. The longer you wait, the higher the costs get and the higher interest rates go. I found the very best deal on a brand new vehicle at a website I found online. Will you be trying to purchase or sell a new or used Ford SUV? If this describes you, visit the inventory at auto Brooklyn.

Edited by CelineR on 07-20-12 12:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to CelineR

Not sure how I feel about my Ford Taurus right now. It's a 2006 and this may just be regular things that go bad but 3 weeks ago it had to have the a/c compressor replaced, the idle sensor thing-a-ma-bob and needed a new battery. Thank God my brother could do the work for me, it cost me $300 for parts. Today I found out it needs a new alternator, another $200. It get horrible gas mileage. I bought it because I had loved my 1986 Ford Tempo and thought the Taurus would be as wonderful.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to NMlady

We have a 2011 Kia Sorento. We really like it.

Gas mileage is 20/24.

It fits 4 of us very comfortably and has lots of room in the back for the dogs when we fold the seats down (we didn't opt for the 3rd row seating because we don't need it).

We also have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Wagon. It's the ugliest car in the world (we call it the blue bomber), but it's paid for and we have had few mechanical problems with it. I hate, HATE it because it's so ugly.

I miss our Chrysler 300. I still have dreams about that car.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to kelseymel

I have a 2000 Ford Focus hatchback (it's just me) and I'd get another. I did buy it used in 2002 and it has served me well for the last 10 years. The only problems I have now come from old age, so I'm having to replace a few parts that have worn out here and there, but nothing major. I've got a 35 mile commute to work each way and I only need to fill my tank once a week and then only because I don't like to see the gas gauge get too low. If I were buying another Focus, I'd probably go new too (mine had only 15,000 miles when I got it).

MeganJo
Guru
MeganJo
In response to traceyjean

I have a 1998 Chevy Caviler Rally Sport.I like it for the most part. The only thing i dont like is that when my nephew(he's 6)and i go out to the store and stuff I have to get the car seat out of my dads car and transfer it to my car.My car is a 2 door car so its a pain doing that.And when I have my 3 cousins with me.Ones three so he's in a car seat,and the other two are 13 and 17 and are both petty tall.But the 17 year old is the tallest so he always gets to seat in front and the other one is all crammed up in the back

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to MeganJo

Tiff - your house sounds almost like mine. We have...

1) my '01 Town & Country that is the family vehicle, yet now I don't trust it going on any trips
2) DH drives a 1990 Jaguar which I've been driving the past two weeks. I like it, but it sits so low to the ground. People in Ford Focuses sit higher than I do.
3) We have a 1986 Dodge Ram pick up for snow plowing but DH has been having to drive that since I have his car and it's so rusty we've had to reinforce the box of it
4) We have a '57 chevy but that's DH's hot rod and it can't be driven in the rain
5) We bought a 95 VW Rabbit a few months ago but the battery won't stay charged and it has a new alternator. DH just needs time to work on it.
6) And there are two cars waiting to go to the junk yard. But we've been trying to use parts from them before they go.

Whew...good thing we have 10 acres because if we lived in town, our neighbors would hate us.

Yes, it is time to get a vehicle from this decade

I think I've narrowed it down to used Toyota Rav4, Nissan Maxima or Toyota Camry....hoping to do some test driving this weekend.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to pugs223

Our cars all are parked at our house on 1/3 acre! We have the vette and sequoia in the garage with out sanger wakeboard boat and DH's motorcycle. The Intrepid lives in the driveway with the t-100. On the side of the house is DH's cargo trailer for work and his restored 73 Dodge Power wagon w-100 with a cover. We have too many cars. There's also an old 40's Mercedes parked out at his dad's 100 acres for us to restore if we want it. We just don't have space. :(. I keep telling DH that we need it, he keeps telling me we have no money and no space.

Keep us posted on what you go with. I love being up high but cornering in the higher cars sucks. My Intrepid corners pretty well for a behemoth of a car.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Seaexplore

2010 Honda CRV. We bought it brand new. It was our first ever brand new auto. I really like it. Gets about 22-26 miles per gallon.

Husband has a dodge ram truck. Can't think of the year but its about a 2005. We haven't had any problems with it. Have had it for about 6 years. Gets terrible gas mileage about 11 miles per gallon.

ds is driving my old ford taurus. Its a 2000. I LOVED that car! It still runs good. Has had a few minor things go wrong but nothing big. A/C still runs great on it. It gets about 24 miles per gallon.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to TraciK

If you're talking smaller cars, DH drives an '09 Toyota Martix. He won it in a contest, it's not a car he would have chosen for himself. That said, we've been really surprised by it. He's got 60K miles on it so far and no problems.

What we love:
-my favorite feature is the standard outlet for charging.
-great gas milage (30-35)
-great pickup for a small car (he's got a standard with the larger engine)
-good cargo room, more than most small cars and more than a larger sedan when you put the seats down

what we don't like:
-no leg rom in back seats
-I feel cramped when I have to scoot the seat up to drive (I'm 4' 11" so the seat is all the way up)

I forgot to add what car DH wants... A Ferrari like Magnum PI's. Came really close to buying one last year but he just couldn't do it because it's not practical.

Edited by photo_chick on 07-20-12 08:02 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics