Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Regrets?        (Topic#1578761)
nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs

So I scrapbooked an old picture of my mom sleeping with my sister on her chest...love the page I scrapbooked but didn't realize I hadn't copied the photo. I wanted to use the original since it is vintage and I wanted the page to have a vintage feel to it...now I'm regretting that I didn't scan it and use a duplicate instead of the original!!! I keep thinking, "I love this picture, what if I eventually wanted to frame it?!!?" It's a pretty enough page that I guess if I really wanted to display it, I could put it in a shadowbox.

Anyone else have regrets like this?!?! I think from now one I will always scrap the duplicate!!!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to nrskrs

No not yet, but I've thought about that happening! Can you not still scan it from the LO? If you have a good software program for photos you might can crop and "fix" anything from there.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to CrimsonMama

One of the first scrapbooks I made was for my brother, and I used all original pictures! It makes for a cool scrapbook, with pictures from the 70s and 80s, but shortly after I sent it off, I realized that now I have NO pictures of my brother! I am still kicking myslef for that one!

Kim

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-20-12 04:29 PM
In response to jaspernonyx

You could still scan it, you'll just have to crop out the rest of the page rom the image but at least you'll have it.

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to stick

I will definitely have to try to scan it and cut out the rest of the layout. I'll let you guys know how it turns out...I'm still kicking myself for not keeping the original and scrapbooking a duplicate! Still a beautiful layout so I can't be too upset with myself!

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to jaspernonyx

• jaspernonyx Said:
One of the first scrapbooks I made was for my brother, and I used all original pictures! It makes for a cool scrapbook, with pictures from the 70s and 80s, but shortly after I sent it off, I realized that now I have NO pictures of my brother! I am still kicking myslef for that one!

Kim

Thanks that makes me feel a little better about my mess up! I still have tons of pics with my mom that I love and cherish just as much...I'm just going to look at the positive and take this as a learning experience. I've been scrapbooking for over a decade and never had an experience like this one...so I guess there's a first for everything, huh?!?! I'm not looking to repeating it though!!!

Edited by nrskrs on 07-20-12 04:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to nrskrs

Shouldn't be too hard to photograph the photo in the layout. I've done this several times

Edited by Here Kitty on 07-20-12 04:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to nrskrs

I haven't scanned any of my pictures and have done a lot of vintage pictures, but I always use clear photo corners so that I don't permanently adhere the picture. I would hate to glue down a really old photo, even if it wasn't a favorite of mine. With the photo corners you can get that vintage feel you wanted by using the original photo, but you can always take it out of the page to scan or use it for something else.

Of course that would be the end of the layout, unless you replaced it with a scan copy... hmm.
Anyway, it gives you options.

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to TFCasper

My big regret is that I created a layout once of a series of pictures that I REALLY wanted to do well, and I put it together in the evening in my scrap room with the lights on, using older yellow-ish light bulbs. I checked the colors together in my bathroom, because it had "better" light, and thought I got it perfect. I cut out the letters and put the page together. I was very pleased with it. Until the light of the next day. The colors were SOOOO off in daylight. I was sick.

That's when I bought my OTT light.

I now stop scrapping when it turns to dusk because I know that my colors won't look right in lamplight. Eventually I will get all daylight bulbs, but until then, no more scrapping at night.

I sometimes think that I could get some scrapbook paint and paint the letters on the page, but I'm not that good with a paintbrush yet. I am thinking of trying to match up a smooch paint with it because of the small brush on it, but I'm not that brave yet.

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to TFCasper

• TFCasper Said:
I haven't scanned any of my pictures and have done a lot of vintage pictures, but I always use clear photo corners so that I don't permanently adhere the picture. I would hate to glue down a really old photo, even if it wasn't a favorite of mine. With the photo corners you can get that vintage feel you wanted by using the original photo, but you can always take it out of the page to scan or use it for something else.

Of course that would be the end of the layout, unless you replaced it with a scan copy... hmm.
Anyway, it gives you options.

That's a good idea...and I started off with that idea with the best intentions! I did use photo corners rather than adhering the pic directly to the page but then decided (in my infinite wisdom ) to adhere a prima flower over part of the photo (using glossy accents glue if I may add!). Boy I've sure gotten myself into a conundrum!

Edited by nrskrs on 07-20-12 05:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to TFCasper

• TFCasper Said:
My big regret is that I created a layout once of a series of pictures that I REALLY wanted to do well, and I put it together in the evening in my scrap room with the lights on, using older yellow-ish light bulbs. I checked the colors together in my bathroom, because it had "better" light, and thought I got it perfect. I cut out the letters and put the page together. I was very pleased with it. Until the light of the next day. The colors were SOOOO off in daylight. I was sick.

That's when I bought my OTT light.

I now stop scrapping when it turns to dusk because I know that my colors won't look right in lamplight. Eventually I will get all daylight bulbs, but until then, no more scrapping at night.

I sometimes think that I could get some scrapbook paint and paint the letters on the page, but I'm not that good with a paintbrush yet. I am thinking of trying to match up a smooch paint with it because of the small brush on it, but I'm not that brave yet.

It's so true about scrapbooking in natural light! Sometimes under the lighting in my basement, paper looks good together and then I'll wander upstairs with the paper and think "goodness sakes what in the heck was I thinking?!?!"

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to nrskrs

When I first started scrapping, my first three pages were my originals and then it hit me. Gee, these are my originals - what if. I scan or copy all originals now.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to nrskrs

You might want to get some UN-DU but it may be you can get it unstuck if you need to to scan it. Good Luck!.

Right now I am so tired of scanning. I just spent a whole day scanning letters that my great grand father wrote to my uncle (his grandson) from 1938 to 1941.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to nrskrs

I only use adhesive photo corners on all old pics. That way they can be removed if wanted. Sounds like a sweet photo.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Sunnydi

I try to use photo corners for old photos, but if not, I just go ahead and use them. No copies. I figure if I use the originals, they are better off preserved in an acid free scrapbook than in a box in a closet. If you save the originals, someday, probably after your gone, someone will get rid of them. It happens all the time. That's why we see old pictures for sale in antique shops, garage sales, junk sales. Eventually, down the line someone will pitch them. I figure if they're in a scrapbook they will at least bother to look at them more than once. You never see old scrapbooks or sale anywhere. I have my dad and my mothers they had from high school and on. They were made in the 40s. They're priceless.

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to SherylEb

• SherylEb Said:
I try to use photo corners for old photos, but if not, I just go ahead and use them. No copies. I figure if I use the originals, they are better off preserved in an acid free scrapbook than in a box in a closet. If you save the originals, someday, probably after your gone, someone will get rid of them. It happens all the time. That's why we see old pictures for sale in antique shops, garage sales, junk sales. Eventually, down the line someone will pitch them. I figure if they're in a scrapbook they will at least bother to look at them more than once. You never see old scrapbooks or sale anywhere. I have my dad and my mothers they had from high school and on. They were made in the 40s. They're priceless.

I said to my DH when I told him about my oops is that it could either be in a cherished scrapbook or in a drawer somewhere...my mom has a huge chest just full of pics that aren't ever looked at or loved, and I love this pic so I took a lot of time and effort trying to give justice to the pic with my scrapbook page!

Anyways, thanks so much for your kindness and suggestions ladies! It really made me feel so much better about it. I was able to have my "freak out moment" and realize it isn't as big a deal in the grand scheme of things. From now on I will use corners (as I did with this one!) BUT not glue stuff on the pic (duh! ) and, of course, make sure all my old photos are scanned.

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to prittb

• prittb Said:
When I first started scrapping, my first three pages were my originals and then it hit me. Gee, these are my originals - what if. I scan or copy all originals now.

I use a lot of originals and typically don't have any problem doing it...but this photo is extra special so I think it caused me more anxiety than it normally would!

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
You might want to get some UN-DU but it may be you can get it unstuck if you need to to scan it. Good Luck! Right now I am so tired of scanning. I just spent a whole day scanning letters that my great grand father wrote to my uncle (his grandson) from 1938 to 1941.

I love Un-du, but I don't think it's going to get me out of this sticky situation (unfortunately!). How neat that you have old letters like that...scanning all that must get tiring but is so well worth it!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to nrskrs

Yes, I regret that when I started scrapping I was taught by Creative Memories and I went along with their suggestions and cut many originals into silly ovals or circles

nrskrs
nrskrs 
Resident
nrskrs
In response to scrappercaz

• scrappercaz Said:
Yes, I regret that when I started scrapping I was taught by Creative Memories and I went along with their suggestions and cut many originals into silly ovals or circles

I did the same thing! I look back at old pages and cringe a little, but I think it's also kind of nice to look back and see how much I've progressed! Plus I was so proud of those layouts when I made them!!! I had a friend get me into scrapbooking after she joined a Creative Memories class.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics