Username Post: What products to de-sticky work surfaces        (Topic#1578815)
EverSoClever
Expert
EverSoClever

What products work well to de-sticky scrapbook spaces and tools such as desks, self healing cutting mats and boards, cricut spatulas, plastic scrapers, and scissors? I used one product in the past ( can't remember what it was but think it was in a wipe form) but it took off the markings and guidelines off of my basic grey precision magnetic mat.

I got a great splat mat from scrapbook.con, but that doesn't help my "old" messes.

Thanks for the rec's!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to EverSoClever

I've mostly just used rubbing alcohol. Aside from the cutting mats, I don't think that anything else you've mentioned would have any markings that could come off anyway.

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to aquabunny

If it's SUPER gooey, goo-gone gets all kinds of stuff off. You'll need to reclean b/c it does make things a bit greasy. Not sure about putting it on your mat, but for your table tops it will work wonderfully.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 07-22-12 05:47 AM
In response to aquabunny

What kind of sticky is it? I've used Un-du on a LOT of stuff.

Products Referenced in This Post:

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to Tivi

I use Goo Gone on a lot of things, but be careful with it because it will take off more than sticky.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to EverSoClever

I am so glad to see that someone else has this problem. I honestly don't know how I get sticky stuff all over everything! I've used Un-du and I just bought an adhesive eraser. I haven't tried goo-gone or alcohol. I will have to give that a try.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to idlewoman

My adhesive erasers are part of my most-used tools. I can't use any type of adhesive without making a mess. I go over all the edges with the eraser as my final touch on a project, as well as my tweezer tips, scissor blades, work table, fingers...

They're cheap and you just trim off the yuck to get a new, clean erasing surface.

I've used cleaning wipes to get lots of sticky and colors off my brayer. I thought I needed a new roller, but after cleaning it, it looked like new! (But of course that only lasted for one lo.)

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to mrsdriver5

I have to agree....my adhesive eraser is wonderful for removing sticky mess on my Cricut tools, clean up on a card or layout, or clean up of the tabletop.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pamela.tx

Undo is awesome but one warning - they make it in two formulas depending on which state you live in.

Florida a Georgia sell the ones with the fumes that will knock you out if you aren't in a well ventilated area - I have to use it outside. It is strong enough that when one woman used a good bit of it at a crop in a closed in room, two ladies got sick. But she did use a lot of it and the room was very closed. Outside it isn't much of a problem.

California, I think New Mexico and possibly other states do not allow that formula Undo to be sold and they sell a different version of Undo which I have heard does not have the strong fumes.

If you use undo first, I would take it outside to use if it is the strong smelling one.

My son is a seizure patient so I have to take it outside if I'm going to use it or he will have a seizure from the fumes.

However, it works great!

THere is another product that stick (Kara is at the Flappers critique group get-together in Alaska right now where I am supposed to be but I'm in Seattle waiting for a military hop to get there) - she knows about another product she says is just as good that she buys in California and even though I've heard her talk about it and she really says good things about it.

Goo gone is great, but as said above, it will have to be washed after using Goo Gone because it leaves things greasy. That is my favorite product for sticky labels and things like that. Will even get gum out of kid's hair.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics