Username Post: First Scrapbook - Scouting History        (Topic#1578845)
New Kid On the Block

As with many here I have never really done a scrapbook, but have become inspired by my son's pending Eagle to put together something for him. I've begun to gather the pictures I want to use and have cobbled together some great organizing tips by lurking here...

So here's my question: I am thinking about cutting his Cub Scout scarves to use as a background for 12 x 12 pages. Has anyone done this? Good idea? Bad idea? (Will I regret cutting these things up someday?)Is there anything special I should do to adhere the fabric to the page and perhaps put a photograph on top of it?

Thanks in advance!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to mdlong302

Personally, I wouldn't. Since you'd have to cut up the scarves, that would basically ruin them if you messed up a page or made a mistake.

Instead, you could scan them (go to an office store that has color copiers and you'd be surprised at how good the quality can be)and use that. OR, there are boy scout scrapbook supplies available for you to use.

Using items with the fleur de lis is also an option. That's what I've done for my son's cut scout pages.
Products Referenced in This Post:

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to Here Kitty

I would not cut them up and adhere them to your page. I would set them up in a cute way and take a picture of them to add to your scrapbook. I don't add physical memorabilia to an album if I am going to have to ruin the item to do so.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to thehappyscrapper8

Hi....my son is also an Eagle Scout. Congrats to you and your son. I understand the tremendous amount of work it has taken to get this far.

I would NOT cut up the scarves. Use those on the display table at his award ceremony instead,

I used several of the products shown above when I made my son's Eagle book. they make great papers, etc with badges, ranking, etc that really helps when putting your album together.

New Kid On the Block
In response to 4tgrfans

Thank you all for your thoughts: I did not cut up the scarves. I am beginning with his Cub Scout history and photocopied the Tiger scarf onto cardstock.

I did order a selection of Scout papers and embellishments which helped a lot. It took much longer than anticipated to get the papers to match the way I wanted them to (the Tiger orange is tough and I wanted to avoid buying a whole pad of BSA Tiger paper... At least Webelos use the Boy Scouting colorways!)

But I have one page down and I think it will go faster going forward.

If any of you are looking for sources for the official Scouting papers, the national BSA web shop carries them and I was also able to find some at Joanns.com

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to mdlong302

First - a huge congrats to your son on making Eagle!!!! That's such a big achievement.

I can't wait - my son's a Web 2 and will be crossing over to Boy Scouts this year. (Actually DH is impatient - he wants to go to Philmont )

Another option would just be to pick up extra scarves at the scout store. I'm thinking of picking up extra pack numbers, arrow points, etc. to put in a scrapbook b/c we'll be framing his shirt in a shadow box.

Have you checked Pinterest? There's a lot of great ideas out there for this.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 08-15-12 03:00 PM
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

Congrats to your son!!!!

Just a thought for your scrapbook - as you put the pages in the album you may have some that are single LO's and some that are double LO's. You might need some "filler" pages to keep everything in order.

I made a USMC album for my DH's career. I ended up needed 8 or 10 filler pages because I wanted the LO's to be in a certain order, yet some were singles and some were doubles. I printed out things like the Rifleman's Creed, poems about the USMC, and one page just had random "left over" pics.

Riflemans Creed/Marksman Medal By Tivi

USMC Mascot - Bulldog By Tivi

You could do something similar with Scout stuff.

Expert
In response to Tivi

Please don't cut those scarves. I actually have all my husband's scarves as well as my son's. Scan em...copy em...look for fabric in a fabric store that might emulate them...but those scarves are a nice remembrance of his life. Keep em in a box, or frame them.
Congrats on the Eagle recognition. It took tons of hard work and dedication. I'm sure you are very proud of him.

-Robbie-
Mayor
-Robbie-
In response to deedee49

I'm late to the party, but I also have an Eagle Scout! Congrats to your son and to you!

Another thing that I did for my son's Eagle Scout book was to buy extra patches at the Scout Store. They were really great about letting me get extras when I explained what it was for.

Judy_Scraps
Mayor
Judy_Scraps
In response to -Robbie-

Another proud Eagle Scout mom here! (my profile pic was taken at his Eagle ceremony last Sept.)

I agree with all the others about not cutting his scarves. I'm glad to see you decided not to. You would have regretted it the second you did it.

I made a Scouting album for my son for Christmas last year. He's not big into scrapbooks but I thought it would be nice for him to at least have this. I kept it very simple. When he had his Eagle ceremony I made a tri-fold poster board with pics from his Cub Scout years up to his Eagle project and Eagle board of review. After the ceremony was done I removed the pics and used them in the scrapbook. The best part was they were already all organized and labeled. The only new pics I added were the ones taken at his Eagle ceremony. I completed the album in a couple of days.

I got the K and Company 24 pack of double sided Scout paper from my LSS (she special ordered it for me). Like I said, I kept the album very simple with the emphasis on the photos. My journaling was also very simple with just the event name and the date.

He keeps the album stored in a box in his closet with the pile of letters and certificates he received at his Eagle ceremony. The letter that excited him the most came from Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs), who is an Eagle Scout himself. It was personally signed by Mike. My son's Scoutmaster is the one that had it sent to him.

You can get a letter from Mike Rowe for your son. Click this link to read the letter and get info on how to request one:
Mike Rowe Eagle Scout letter

Congratulations to your son! Eagle Scout is a huge accomplishment and a great honor!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Judy_Scraps

My son is an eagle scout and the only completed scrapbook ive done is his scouting book. I kept it simple with dates and events on the pages and used scouting theme paper, the photos really were the spotlight in this instance.It was displayed at is ceremony on a table with other scouting items. I left room for a signiture page at the end and left out a decorated page for the geusts to sign in on. I also slipped in the congrtulatory certificates he received. I created a wall hanging with his patches and extra rank patches that I got at the scout store. Theres room to add his merit badges later if he decides he doesnt wantthem on the sash. The rodd can be taken out and it can be stored folded up and added to the box with his uniform and book later. since he's moved on his scouting stuff is now stored away until he finds his special someone and starts his family. The book was a nice way to preserve these items.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to scrapday

If you really want to include the scarves, fold them neatly and tuck into a pretty envelope you have adhered to the page!

OK, I just reread that line, maybe "pretty" isn't the word we're looking for here!! LOL

max28
max28 
Tenant
max28
  • max28 on 12-15-12 10:20 AM
In response to Juansmom

I include a lot of physical items in my scrapbooks, but I never destroy them for that purpose. I would either make a nice picture of it or I would use a transparent film and stick it somehow to the page. But I wouldn't cut it.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to max28

Congrats to you and your son. I too have a son who is an Eagle scout. I hopefully will start working on my son's Scouting album this year and I wanted to somehow incorporate his red vest with all of his patches from cub scouts. A friend of mine suggested to take a picture of it and then turn it into scrapbook paper by getting it printed on 12x12. So, I will try. I will take a picture of the front and that would be one page and one of the back for the other page. Maybe this would work for the scarves as well. I also agree to not cutting them up.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics