Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: Anybody else sewing??        (Topic#1578871)
Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to flhomeschoolmom

Go Ali! That's lots of sewing!

The quilt I'm going to make will be for my son who is arriving in March. I'm thinking of using a half square triangle herringbone pattern. It will probably be gray and turquoise with some lime in it with a gray binding. Don't have the fabric yet.

I also have a few large beanbags I need to make to get the beans I have stored in my craft room/office that I share with my husband out of there! We can barely walk in that room between his music stuff (6 guitars, keyboard, mixer, a few computers), his house plan stuff (computer, printer, large format plotter) and my disaster of a mess (fabric, boxes, Christmas presents I've started stashing, bean bags pellets, paper, dies, cutters, ********). I REALLLY need to get in there and clean instead of craft! Lol. We all know that isn't going to happen!

Oh, and I need to cut some iron on vinyl for a bag for my cousins daughter's birthday presents and get that bag done to get some of the mess out of the room.

At some point, I need to start on my 4 year olds preschool scrapbook that has to be turned in to her teacher in April. Oh, and my maternity book. AND finish the birth story in the 4 year olds book. Lol

flhomeschoolmom
Pro
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Seaexplore

Wow, you have a lot going on Tiffany.

I share a bedroom with my DH, but we have both agreed that it is MY room and he only sleeps in there! As a result, his guitars, amps, effects pedals, etc. sit in our living room. His Bluray collection, and video game collection (aside from his two arcade machines...one of which needs a new monitor...that sit in...oh dear, my kitchen) also reside in my living room along with his laptop. We have agreed that he can take that space as I only use it for watching TV, and playing games. However, at times I do find it necessary to spread my crafty stuff out on the living room floor. Especially right now as I'm TRYING to declutter our bedroom.

I home school both of my boys, who are now 16 and 14 and have done so since birth actually. So there is always a "year book" in the making. However, a few years ago I decided that instead of making one "year book" per year I would make one massive book for each that covers the major parts of their lives from birth through graduation. Recently however, I have assigned them a "history" project of sorts. They are now responsible for making their own "year books". These are separate from the books I'm making. Their books are based on a project I was given by my 10th grade world history teacher in January 1995. The project was called "What is History?" and she told us that we had to make a book/binder thing that had different sections in it. In the first section, we had to put quotes, definitions, etc. about the word "History". In section 2, we had to put things about world events and news. In the 3rd section we had to put things about national events and news. In the 4th section we had to put things about state events and news. In the 5th section, we had to put things about news and events in our city or county. In the 6th section we had to put things pertaining to school events or news. In the 7th, and last section, we had to put things about ourselves. Each section had to have a minimum of 4 pages but could have more if we wished. We had an entire semester to complete the project. Well, 2 weeks after we got the assignment I ended up out of school for 99% of the rest of the semester because I was diagnosed with cancer. The teacher that assigned the project and taught my world history class became my home tutor with a program in my county known as "Home Bound" and it's for when students are unable to attend classes for an extended period of time due to medical reasons. I kept working on my project despite my illness, but confessed to the teacher that the school part was hard for me because I wasn't there. She helped me with that part by getting me copies of the school newspaper each time it came out and brining it to me. And she told me about different things that were going on at school. Well, my personal section grew by leaps and bounds because I filled it with papers on my chemo, a business card from my oncologist, a lock of my hair, and I put an odd newspaper clipping titled "Tresses are More Trouble Than They are Worth" or something like that. My aunt sent me the article and it was about a lady who lost all of her hair due to chemo and then fell in love with wigs, hats and turbans. Then, my classmates began sending me cards, notes and letters via the teacher so I made a separate folder for those. I used a pronged folder and put paper in it and put the cards, etc. in that. I then clipped that book to the back of my 3 ring binder and turned it all in for my project. She took it back to school and put it on display with all the other student's books. Students were then told to pick up a book other than their own and take it back to their desk, but to not open it. She then told me that she told the class to pick up the book and she said, "When I assigned you this project, I asked you the question of What is History and I told you what types of items to put in the books. Well, in your hands you are holding history because everything in those books is now in the past, thus it is history." She REALLY brought history to life. She brought me my book back and she told me, "Usually I keep everyone's assignments, but I'm not going to keep yours. Yours is too personal. I know you put things in your book that you would like to keep, so I'm giving yours back." I never got to look at anyone else's books, but that was alright. I still have pages from that book, but the book itself was badly damaged from a fire in my house in 2001. The fire department drenched EVERYTHING and marker ink ran, pages fell out, it was just a mess. The folder with the cards got lost when it fell out and most of the cards were no longer readable because of the water damage. Sadly, some of the cards and letters were from two girls who each died in separate car crashes during our Senior year. So, loosing those was not nice.

That project is what my boys year books have to be. But they are supposed to include journaling, etc. in theirs. Whether it's art journaling or whatever. The journaling part of their assignment is to make theirs "personal"...very personal. And when the books are done, my children will be able to HOLD history. Neither one of my boys currently have much of an appreciation of history, so I'm hoping that this will help. Also, I've changed the sections for theirs. Their sections are: Quotes and things about History, World events, National events, State events, City/county events, "School" stuff (aka things they want to keep such as writing assignments, projects, or just photos of them doing "school" stuff), Church events, Family events, and a personal section. Recently though, a relative of our made front page news...and NOT in a good way. I made a journal entry about it and posted it in my gallery.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to flhomeschoolmom

That.is.awesome! What a great project for the kids to do!

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics