Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Organizing your layout        (Topic#1578919)
Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I dont always scrap my pics in order and sometimes I'll scrap pics that are years old.

More than once, I've finished a layout and come across that PERFECT (_____________) I bought specifically for that page.

Problem is, I forgot I even had it.

I'd love to find a safe way to store things together (any memorabilia, papers, ribbons, embellies, photos etc.) without them getting bent, torn, separated, forgotten etc., so that when I'm ready to scrap those pics, everything I may have collected over time is all there.

How do you guys organize your pages before they become pages?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Kim222

I have some 12x12 hanging file folders. When I'm preparing for a trip, I fill one of those folders with all the papers and embellishments I already have that would be ideal for the trip. For an page for a smaller event or occasion, well, after I develop a batch of photos, I always sort them into small envelopes based on theme or topic or event, and I slip any embellishments for it inside the same envelope.

I also keep together all the items for my most commonly used themes - a shelf not only of baseball paper but of all my baseball stickers and embellishments, a drawer with not only travel stickers but also all my travel-themed die-cuts and blank mini-albums and journal tablets.

I also make a serious point of not having too much more than I can remember, and of trying to do a page as soon as possible if I've bought something very specific for it.

Henri Jean did an amazing post on this here - http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15690... - and I think it is perfectly adaptable for people who haven't finished, or don't intend to finish, "catching up" to the present day.

Edited by aquabunny on 07-25-12 11:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Kim222

I use this part out of my old generations brand scrapbooking tote. It's like a portfolio and zips all the way around and has several dividers.

Generations layout organizer By Cindyckj

I also love to use these iris boxes and you can usually get them pretty cheap when they are on sale or with a coupon from michaels or hobby lobby. Usually aroud $5. I need to get some more actually.

Iris storage box By Cindyckj

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Kim222

It may not be archive-safe, but I use 2-gal ziplock storage bags. Keep the paper and most of the embellies together there with the photos. That's what I did for the baby album I did recently. I collected stuff over a couple of months in one of those bags and then hauled it out and scrapped away!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Cindyckj

These are good to and you can find something similar at michaels too for usually just a few bucks for a set of 3

plastic organizer By Cindyckj

Plastic organizer By Cindyckj

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to meezerpleaser

My system is most like Aquabunnys.

I take regular manilla file folders and put on the front cover the date and event and lay those on the table - sometimes 50 or 60 at a time.

For our trip in Seattle there will be one - 5/22/02 - Seattle, Aguarium, one for 5/22//02 - Seattle, King Tut exhibit - then one for the Seattle Underground tour and then one for the dinner at the crab pot that night. Four files for that day because there were lots of pictures and things for each one.

Anyway, I lay all the labeled file folders on the table in chrono order - sometimes I cover several tables and the sofa after a big trip. Then if there is paper I know I want to use for it - it goes on top of the file folder. Then I put memorbilia that goes with that file, embellies and diecuts that I know I want to use or will probably use. Pictures go on top of the folder.

I journal on the computer as I go along so I print that out and put the part on top of each folder that goes with that part of the trip. ITs rough and will need to be edited but still, I have the information.

Then everything gets put in the files (the papers are bigger than the folders but that doesn't matter because its not handled or moved it doesn't get bent or wrikled) and I put them in order with the most recent first.

I then just pick my folders from the front one at a time and scrap them like that. For a big event, like King Tut exhibit, it may be 4-6 pages but it is in one file and I will divide it up when I actually scrap it.

I also keep the while insert sheets from scrapbook packs and lay my pages out on there if I don't have specific paper already picked, like Egypt paper for King Tut.

That way I can tell if a layout is 2 pages or 4 or 6 - I can judge after I've layed it out on a series of white papers. Also, then the patterned paper or cardstock paper colors jump out at me and its easy to make final selections.

Here is the file system after the cruise last fall. YOu can see I've already selected paper for South Korea, Australia and some of the other ports. Some of the files had 50-60 pictures for events like the zoo in Melbourne.

So easy just to grab the next file and everything - photos, memorbilia, diecuts and sometimes even the paper is there ready to go to work. This system really works for me.

Here is a photo of the file. Its empty now but when I get home from this trip I will have photos all developed the next day (I put them on flash and edit them every night so I can turn them in a print as soon as I get home) and that night I will set up the files. Actually, it takes about an hour to organize the entire trip like this. Then the organization is done.

Scrapping to be Done By Henri Jean

I scrap chronologically but I don't have to. I could just jump ahead and scrap any of the files.

This system is perfect for me! May not work for everyone but I love it!

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to Henri Jean

I have one of CM's sort boxes that fit the 12x12 pages. I put it all together in there. I also have some of Michael's scrapboxes doing the same thing. I put the pics, paper and embellies together. Just stack them all up and put them in the boxes.

KDQ
KDQ 
Guru
KDQ
  • KDQ on 07-25-12 12:24 PM
In response to momma paparazzi

I have the jetmax cubes from Michaels and try to store related items together. Space is often an issue so for pictures and particular items I know I want on a LO later, I store these items together in an accordian folder. Michaels also sells decortive boxes that are the perfect size for storing scrapbooking items in and they are inexpensive.

daschweder
Veteran
daschweder
In response to KDQ

I never thought about laying out all the stuff for a page(s). It does make since but space for me is a bit of a problem right now.
I just start laying out the things that I think I want to use on the layout and start piecing it together. It may take me hours on 1 page to get it just right the way I want it, but I am usually happy with it.
I'll have to try sorting things out when I get more embellies.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to Kim222

I use a Power® Layouts Kit box from Creative Memories. It holds 12 by 12 pages perfectly and it is archival safe for photos. I have dividers that I got with it to separate my layouts. I have found that it really helps me have my layouts with memorablilia, stickers, photos, and/or embellishments all together in one place. I fill it up, then scrap those pages, fill it up again, scrap those pages...repeat as needed-LOL!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Vintageivy

• Vintageivy Said:
I use a Power® Layouts Kit box from Creative Memories. It holds 12 by 12 pages perfectly and it is archival safe for photos. I have dividers that I got with it to separate my layouts. I have found that it really helps me have my layouts with memorablilia, stickers, photos, and/or embellishments all together in one place. I fill it up, then scrap those pages, fill it up again, scrap those pages...repeat as needed-LOL!

this...except I have two of them.

klong618
Tenant
klong618
In response to moxiegirl23

I use the iris cases to store things, right now I have one for my son's baby book and our honeymoon book. I have the embellishments, paper etc all together and then when I print the photos I have a small plastic photo box that I hold them in.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to klong618

I actually posted about this on my blog and happened upon this wonderful article. It can be found here
http://scrappingwonders.info/2012/06/. It gives you a great way to help you figure out the best way to organize your stuff.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I have several of the 12 X 12 Artbin boxes, and as I buy stuff I put it in the appropriate box when I take it out of the bag. Then when I'm ready to scrap, I pull out a box and it's all there. Easy to take to crops too.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-26-12 06:31 AM
In response to chocolateaxel

I am working on my wedding album, which I predict will be about 200 pages. I'm trying to use the Power Layout system. It's tough because I have run out of flat surfaces with so many pics (and I'm only working on a quarter of them) but so far I love the way it's coming together. I feel much more organized about everything. My wedding was a year and a half ago and my goal is to have the album done by my 2nd anniversary.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

WOW!!!! Thanks for all the great ideas!!
They will definitely make my scrap time so much more efficient!!

What is the difference between the Iris boxes, the Artbin boxes, the Michaels decorative boxes, the CM sort boxes and the CM Power Layout boxes?!

Are they all pretty much the same thing?

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Kim222

I don't know about the other boxes but the Iris boxes I posted are just one open space. Price may be the main difference unless some of the other boxes have little partitions within them and some boxes may be thinner and not hold as much?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
WOW!!!! Thanks for all the great ideas!!
They will definitely make my scrap time so much more efficient!!

What is the difference between the Iris boxes, the Artbin boxes, the Michaels decorative boxes, the CM sort boxes and the CM Power Layout boxes?!

Are they all pretty much the same thing?

Artbin boxes have a hinged lid and clasp and are oriented like a pizza box.

Iris boxes also have a hinged lid, but are just made slightly different than ArtBin.

Dunno about the Michaels boxes.

The CM Power Sort boxes has smaller compartments for photos and isn't big enough for 12x12 paper. It is designed for photo organization.

The CM Power Layout Box is like the art bin/iris boxes, except that it's black photo safe plastic with a loop and button closure and comes with 15 white tabbed plastic guides that you lay your layout materials on and then stack in the box to keep layouts seperate and organized. It's almost like a pizza box, but made of plastic, so there's no wasted space with little nooks and crevices like some of the artbin boxes have. it also holds the guides fairly flush/tight, so there's not a lot of slippage and it reduces the amount of bent paper/corners.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to moxiegirl23

Thanks so much for all that info!!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Kim222

I dont usually buy thing with a specific photo or event in mind. I plan out my pages once I have the photo or photos that I feel like scrapping. At that time I take hours choosing everything by going through all of my supplies. By the time that this task is completed I need a break. I put everything in a big tote bag and I usually put the page together the following day. I love finding things that I forgot that I had. Its like going shopping again without spending more money lol.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics