Username Post: White Sew E-Z Mini Sewing Machine        (Topic#1578935)
GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

Posted this in another thread but maybe here I can have my answer, hope you ladies and gentleman don't mind.

I love the look of stitches on LO's but have never use a sewing machine in my entire life. I saw this @ J's today on sale and it looks fine. Does anyone 'round here have one? It's easy to handle especially for a newbie like me? reliable? Can I use it on pp/cs? Please share your thoughts. TIA

Expert
In response to GIGIGI30

Is that the hand held one? If so I found it every awkward to hold with one hand and feed your paper through with the other. I ended up returning mine.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to scrappy_day

It has always had awful reviews.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to runzalot81

• runzalot81 Said:
It has always had awful reviews.

Oh, that explain the sale price then! Thank you ladies!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to GIGIGI30

I'd think it depends on what you want to use it for. If you only want to use it occasionally for sewing a little on lo's, or maybe light mending, it might work fine. If you're wanting to sew a suit jacket...I'd look for something else

If you're not planning to use it often and the price is really good, you could buy it & try it, then return it if it doesn't even meet minimal needs.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to mrsdriver5

I just looked on amazon and out of six reviews, they all gave it the lowest rating. Everyone said the instructions were useless and threading the bobbin was hopeless—nothing but a knotted ball of thread...so it probably wouldn't even work as a cheapy occasional machine. Runzalot was right...bad customer reviews.

Edited by mrsdriver5 on 07-25-12 08:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

What about trying the Sew Easy instead?
Or, do what the sewing-challenged people like myself do......pen them in

Edited by Kim222 on 07-26-12 06:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-26-12 06:15 AM
In response to Kim222

I haven't used it so I can't say. But I did take a beginner's sewing class at Joann's. I had a machine that I bought online but had no clue how to use it. I brought the whole thing still in the box and the 3 hour class actually practiced using paper and fabric and was very good. The instructor was able to show me features on my particular sewing machine, but they also had machines there for anyone who didn't bring their own. I also wanted to learn how to sew clothing so that was the main reason I took the course, but I love being able to use stitching on my LOs. If you pay for the class on certain days, J's has them for 50% off. They can tell you when the next Class Sale day is.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Vae

Thank you ladies for the suggestions...taking mental notes here. Unfortunately J's in my area don't offer any class

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to GIGIGI30

Like I said, you can always try it, then return it if it doesn't do what you want it to. It just seems like people had a lot of problems with winding the bobbin.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

I have the Sew Easy and 10 different heads. I really like it. It's simple and fun to use. You will need to hand "sew" the thread or twine though the holes after the gadget has punched them. I find it relaxing...takes me back to my days of youth when I embroidered. I do NOT have ANY sewing talent. I also got the ribbon one from the same company (sew ribbon) and the Sew Stamper set. I love all of them.
Perhaps you could find a used sewing machine for a good price and give it a try... like Craigs list or your newspaper. That way you won't have too much $$ spent.

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have wondered about the $20 or so table top versions I have seen at Joanns. They are small but look more like a real sewing machine.

But the sew easy is great for sewing on paper and yo sure can't beat the price. Easy to store too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics