Username Post: Does anyone have a Scraproom/Office in the garage?        (Topic#1579083)
Mrs Barbara
Tenant
Mrs Barbara

DH and I are relocating and signed a lease on a 2BR house. It's a small 2br we have decided he will use the guestroom as an office and I will use the garage (we are currently sharing the guest room). Anyway, since we are renting, I won't be converting anything permanently in the garage. I can't seem to find photos of anyone using an unfinished garage area. I want it to look cozy as I can make it and plan to use it as a home office as well. Anyone out there doing this or have any tips? Any advice would be helpful!

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Mrs Barbara

I found these for you:

Christy Tomlinson Garage Studio

Garage conversion to Scrap room

If I was you, I'll check first or ask your husband for things like moisture/humidity, temperature, electric and lightning. Hope this help!

Mrs Barbara
Tenant
Mrs Barbara
In response to GIGIGI30

Thanks! There is power and lighting, but I will probably add some OTT lights instead. It has a window air unit and there is hardly any humidity in New Mexico so I think we are good there. I liked the video that showed and unfinished space, unfortunately I can't do anything near as nice as in the first video since it is a rental. I was hoping to find someone who got creative with curtains or something to make it cozy and less like a concrete prison, lol.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

Many moons ago, there was a show on HGTV called "Home to go" hosted by Peter Fallico. It was about home improvement and design ideas for renters in small spaces. That was one of my faves.

He used to use double sided tape or Velcro to place curtains on rented spaces. No marks on walls or holes to drill and best of all, you could use it in the next space once you moved. Google it or maybe YouTube, HULU or Netflix can have some of the old episodes. Sorry I can't help you more!!

Mrs Barbara
Tenant
Mrs Barbara
In response to GIGIGI30

I'll check into that. Don't apologize, you were a great help!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

Make sure to post pictures when you get your area finished.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

A lot depends on where you live and the condition of the garage.

You could be dealing with high temps and/or freezing, dry & dusty or the exact opposite humid & moldy, potential bugs or even critters. And what about security?

I hate to be "Debbie Downer" but if the garage is not temperature controlled (or you live in a mild climate) and secure I would not suggest using it for anything other than storage.

and, if you plan on leaving the garage door open while you work, you can expect to have uninvited people just pop in. At night you become like a light to moths. Neighbors and busybodies start dropping in with all sorts of lame reasons.

Remember alls it takes is one tiny small flood (1/2") to ruin all of your stuff, once forgeting to close the garage door to find all of your stuff gone or a visit from a stray animal...

Mrs Barbara
Tenant
Mrs Barbara
In response to Gelidy Gelato

@NMLady..I sure will! I just quit a full-time job and hope to have more time to craft now. Hopefully I will be on here more too Too bad you are over 2 hrs away...I'll be looking for some new friends to craft with.

@Gelidy Gelato..I appreciate the advice. You have great points and luckily none of those things seems to be an issue for me. It is already temp controlled and I wont leave the front open much due to dust. But the back entrance opens to the laundry room so I may leave that open. I'm excited, I think it will work well. I'm really seeking ideas on making it look less like a concrete cell on the inside without doing anything permanent since it is a rental. I think I'll have to get my desk and bookshelves in first and maybe I'll get more creative juices flowing.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

How about an area rug or piece of remnant carpet? Would the landlord let you hang a piece of pegboard? You can also use the 3M hooks, etc that remove without residue. To make it homey, try the wall clings that are removeable/repositional.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics