Username Post: stamping problem        (Topic#1579131)
Tenant

Help!! Why am I have so much trouble with stamping?!?! WHy do, most particularly, sentiments not come out crisp? Is it the stamp, the ink...I have tried a few different inks. Are the clear stamps not as crisp as the rubber ones?? I have tried lightly rub the stamps with a nail file as I have read. In a set of the clear stamps, come cause problems while the others do not. I am getting extremely frustrated. Any help is appreciated, I am trying to make cards if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Tenant
In response to Bitty-Boo

I forgot to add, the ink seems to bead up on the stamps and it image comes out uneven

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Bitty-Boo

I've never heard of the nailfile thing - that would scare me. Did you try using a soft eraser on them? That removes the coating that is sometimes on stamps. Some people swear by stamping over a softer surface, an old mousepad for example. I happen to like stamping over a hard surface and do my stamping on a piece of glass. You might try both of those things and see if either makes a difference for you.

Tenant
In response to dwelch

Thank you very much, I'll try all 3!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-30-12 12:32 PM
In response to Bitty-Boo

In addition to the above, which is great advice -
Generically speaking, rubber does give a crisper image than clear stamps. Distress Ink gives a more, well - distressed look, so you'll want to use other inks like Memento, etc. Also, pay close attention to how much pressure you're putting on the stamp and whether you might be rocking it at all. And I always do a practice stamp first to make sure I have the right 'feel' for the specific stamp I'm using.

Tenant
In response to stick

I've always struggled with stamping because I was rocking them

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to PaperTulip

I had the same problem, truly broke my heart when I could not use a mermaid stamp as her scales would not turn out...but I saw the recommendation to use a thin piece of styrofoam underneath and it worked...for me, Memento ink works best

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mjmone

my favorite favorite favorite ink for stamping, ESPECIALLY sentiments, is versafine onyx black,,,,,,,deep, dark and crisp,,,,,,

do the eraser,,,,,do the mouse pad and try the versafine,,,,,you'll love the effect.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to CommaHolly

You have gotten great advice here already. I am also going to say that sometimes it is the stamp itself. Without knowing what brand stamp you are using, it is hard to say BUT...I bought a clear stamp at a big box store. I thought it would be great because it had arrows on it. That stamp would NOT ink well no matter what I did. It was the stamp. I don't think the stretchy clear stamps work well. When I say stretchy- I mean when you take them off their backing.....it kinds of stretches out a lot as you pull it off the backing...does that make sense? No matter what I did, the ink would bead on it. I sold it and now I stick with better quality stamps. Stampin' Up stamps are my favorite. There are other companies that are good as well. I tend to keep away from the big box store stamps now. This is just me.....I haven't had any problems in a long long long time!!!

I would say to get a clear image with stamping, you need to use a quality stamp and quality ink. And yes, even your paper can affect the quality of your image.

Edited by binkiemonstermom on 07-30-12 05:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SarahWscraps
Veteran
SarahWscraps
In response to binkiemonstermom

If you have a watermark ink pad such as Versamark, try first inking up the stamp with that ink then ink stamp up with the colored ink you choose. The Versamark ink helps the other ink stick to the stamp better.

Edited by SarahWscraps on 07-31-12 09:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to SarahWscraps

Many many thanks to you all for the great advice am off to try!!

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Bitty-Boo

I have to agree with Michelle...it depends on the quality of the stamps. I mainly use Close to My Heart stamps. Before I use my stamps for the first time, I "season" them by inking them and stamping them on scratch paper to keep the ink from beading on the stamp themselves. I use the "dab, dab, twist, twist" technique to help it set properly on the stamp itself. Does this make sense? LOL....I hope so

Tenant
In response to pamela.tx

I want to thank you all SO much, I have tried all the tips suggested and find my stamping much improved!! I find using the mouse pad has vastly improved things! Who would've thought?!? lol Now I think more practicing and trying the stamp stamp twist thing I will get the hang of things. It is SO wonderful having this place to come and ask advice...I was getting very frustrated and now there is hope!:D

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Bitty-Boo

Keep going! Stamping is a great way to add to your pages!!!! I love to invest in stamps rather than a bunch of stickers because I can use my stamps over and over!!! Once I use a sticker, it is gone! (not that I don't buy any stickers but I do try and find stamps that will make great embellies!!!)

Resident
In response to Bitty-Boo

I found this tip ages ago and made a verbatim copy for my "hint" file. I can't remember where I read it, so I can't give the appropriate credit:

"oh and here's another tip if you stamp with clear stamps and distress ink: if you ink your stamp with permanent ink first (like archival) and LET IT DRY on the stamp, this primes the polymer and gives you a better stamped image with dye ink since the ink won't bead up anymore on the polymer (plus you can see what your stamping".

Hope it helps.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to oilbrat

All these great tips!! Can't wait to try some of them. I have tons of clear stamps and lots of Stamping Up inks..and of course, they don't seem to work well together...gggrrrr!! Saw a tip somewhere about scrubbing the clear stamps with my adhesive eraser, so I have done that and it helped some. I will try the Versamark then ink to see if that helps.
Thanks for all the tips!!

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two
In response to bigredssw

Another tip - make sure you're stamping on a level surface.

I discovered that my desktop had started to warp and it affected my stamping. Like a mouse pad, I'll use a glass mat to stamp on.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to DeborahM-Mom of Two

I found this video very helpful concerning inks and acrylic stamps.

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/887.html

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics