Username Post: Paper stiffener...        (Topic#1579405)
bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw

I am punching a fairly lacey butterfly and need to make the paper stiffer. It isn't cardstock weight, so it doesn't hold it's shape well. I have made other things and sprayed with the Perfect Pearls mists and they seem to stiffen the paper, but I don't want these to be shimmery, I am wanting a more vintage matte look. Are there any sprays/mists that would work for this? I tried ModPodge, but it only seems to make them even limper.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to bigredssw

Hmm....I'm not really sure. I'm such a paper hog that I'd just go through my stash and find heavier paper! Ok, so part of that is my laziness, too. LOL.

Anyway, tattered angels also sells a matte spray in a variety of colors. Maybe that would work?

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to siameseplease

Thank you, Gina...that sounds like just what I need. I will hit my local shop to see if they have any. I try to buy local if I can so that they can stay open!!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to bigredssw

Good luck! I hope you find it and that it works.

I am also wondering if making some kind of mist with Tim Holtz alcohol inks might work.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

BTW, I love and have that punch! If you're having trouble with the thinner paper getting stuck inside the punch, try punching through wax paper and the thin paper at the same time and see if that helps.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw

Thanks, Gina...so far, no problems. But since I am giving all my scrapping buddies a box full of butterflies and flowers for Xmas...I am going to be punching a million of them...LOL!!
If you like butterflies, try this link for tons of pics you can print and fussy cut. This lady's blog is full of the most beautiful pages and she is nice enough to share all the butterflies. (And tuts on how she makes her fab flowers!) You have to search all through the thread to get all of them, but it is well worth it. Sprayed with the Perfect Pearls gold or silver mist they are fabulous!! http://www.swirlydoos.com/sd_plugins/forum/foru m_viewto...

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to bigredssw

Thanks!!!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse

what is fussy cut?

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Lunareclipse

• Lunareclipse Said:
what is fussy cut?

Cutting a design by hand...scissors, especially little scissors, or an x-acto knife. I love to fussy cut although I have several die-cutting machines. It's relaxing for me, but probably makes some people crazy I print out a lot of my embellishments, then fussy cut them. Some of the cuts can get a bit tricky, but that's the challenge lol ~Judy

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to mrsdriver5

I agree, Judy...cutting can be relaxing...I still just call it "cutting out" instead of adding the "fussy"...LOL!! Lately I have been taking pages of butterflies that I have printed from the site I mentioned above when we are meeting at someone else's house. That way I don't have to take all my stuff for a layout...just my scissors. So I can relax and visit to my hearts content while we are all together. Last week I got two pages done...16 butterflies. What my scrapping buddies don't know is that all these butterflies are going to be part of their Christmas gift...LOL!!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to bigredssw

I wonder if they'll recognize them when they get their gifts? :>)

I used to love paper dolls...not so much to play with, but to cut everything out. I'd be so careful to make them perfect...or as perfect as a little kid could get them. I never dreamed that 55 or 60 years later I'd still be cutting little stuff out with scissors (Although my scissors now cut a bit better than my plastic giraffe ones I had way back then...but my current ones aren't as much fun to look at!)

Diva
In response to mrsdriver5

Same feeling. How about Diamond glaze to make it stiffer?

Edited by bayamonesa1 on 09-13-12 09:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• Lunareclipse Said:
what is fussy cut?

It's a LOT of work. Get a punch!

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to Bxr-Linda

Starch would work. spray starch.

Edited by Lunareclipse on 09-14-12 07:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw

Never would have thought of spray starch....thanks for the idea.

Lunareclipse
Veteran
Lunareclipse
In response to bigredssw

• bigredssw Said:
Never would have thought of spray starch....thanks for the idea.

I use it to stiffen up my snowflakes when I crochet them, but it works on paper too. You have to be careful of how much you spray. Some brands will leave a white resdidue if you spray too much, but most don't. I just be careful with any brand I use.

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62

I was going to mention spray starch but it's already up. What about a glimmer glaze , this would give your butterfly a shine. Also if your punches get blunt , punch some alfoil and the wax paper is good for if they are sticking. And as to fussy cutting...not my favoutite thing,I have to be realllly motivated to do it.

Diva
In response to ajsophios62

Same with me..Ijust wonder what did you finally decided for and if it really worked for your project.

bigredssw
Tenant
bigredssw
In response to bayamonesa1

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! The printed paper I was using was just too flimsy...so I scanned it and printed it on cardstock (the cheap stuff from Walmart)....worked like a charm!! So I also scanned some old book pages and some music paper and printed that on the cardstock too. Made a great back layer for my butterflies!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics