Username Post: I really need help!        (Topic#1579415)
Sharon Leigh
Veteran
Sharon Leigh

I really, really want to make a mini book with a vintage style. The problem is my scrapbooking style is about as far from vintage as you could get. I do not distress or use sprays. What I am wanting to do is a mini of old black and white family photos for my sister. Can anyone tell me what products I might use because I have no idea where to start. BTW I have never done a mini book either. :-) Is there hope for me?

Thanks so much!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Sharon Leigh

Basic Grey has lots of papers that look vintage without you having to ink or mist anything. I personally think black and white pictures look better on colored background. They are pretty on red, teal, lots of combinations, but that's just me. Go to Basic Greys website, then shop, and there is a vintage paper section that will give you some samples.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to SherylEb

I agree with Sheryl I think black and white photos should be on a color paper. You can already made vintage papers almost everywhere.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

You can buy pre-made mini books in a vintage style....then all you'd have to do is embellish and add photos.
Of course there are a lot of companies that do vintage style papers and you could easily make your own book as well.....
Basic Grey (as prev. mentioned)
Simple Stories
7 gypsies
anything Tim Holtz....

Sounds like a fun project!
Alison

Products Referenced in This Post:

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

There are fabulous pages in the gallery here. It is under the category heirloom. There are thousands of pages. There are many different styles of heirloom there. Some are clean & simple, some are inked a lot. some have lots of flowers. some have no flowers. Some are bright. some are dark. I look there lots. If you like a page, just pm the maker if you have any questions about what they di or used. Everyone in our gallery is always very very friendly & helpful when you ask. Go through lots of pages & you will see what I mean.
You will see that some people do lots of heritage pages & many of them. you can also look at their personal gallery to see more. There is also a heritage challenge every month that Martica has. 1960s & before
Hope this helps

Edited by anda11 on 08-05-12 02:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to anda11

A couple of my favorite vintage lines are Websters Pages and Graphic 45

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to mjmone

you've gotten great advice for products,,,,Graphic 45 is one of my favorites for vintage things,,K and company and DCWV also have some lovely AFFORDABLE vintage stacks you can buy almost anywhere,,,,inking the edges of the paper really helps too, and using a sponge and some sepia ink, it's a breeze and not tough at all.

but here's another suggestion,,,,and it's FREE.

Go to free vintage digi stamps and/or bumble button (google them, I can't put a link here) and they provide FREE vintage images and elements for you to print and use for your projects. Vintage images make a huge difference in my vintage projects. Corset ads, ads for vintage products, fashion plates, etc etc etc look fantastic with old black and white photos,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

More vintage things,,,,

buttons, especially metal fancy or wooden,,,

lace (use a coupon at J's and get some for 40% off)

sticky pearls, or pearls on a string (J's again)

stick pins,,,,,,easy to make with pearls and a corsage pin (wedding section),,,glue them on to the pin so they don't move,,

seam binding,,,,you can dye this easily with RIT dyes or stain it over night with tea,,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Here's a vintage book I did using a DCWV stack,,,,

Timeless mini cover By CommaHolly

Timless Mini By CommaHolly

Timeless By CommaHolly

Timeless Mini By CommaHolly

there's more, but you get the idea,,,,,,I used a ton of free vintage ads and images from various free vintage sites, and some 7 gypsies ephemera cards,,,,,and also some Tim Holtz metal embellies.

Sharon Leigh
Veteran
Sharon Leigh

Thank you ladies! I am going to go check out the gallery and websites that everyone suggested. I'm wanting to make it as a Christmas gift so I have plenty of time. Of course, I will probably have to go shopping. Thanks again!

anda11
anda11 
Mayor
anda11

Oh glad you feel better Sharon, I am glad you have some time so you don't feel pressure. I totally forgot about Holly.. she always makes wonderful items. Be careful, those sites that Holly has are addicting. I am glad you are going to be able to go shopping too.

Edited by anda11 on 08-05-12 01:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to anda11

Distressing inks are awesome for vintage!!! Tim Holtz rocks!!!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome

• CommaHolly Said:

seam binding,,,,you can dye this easily with RIT dyes or stain it over night with tea,,,,,

You can also easily dye them with color sprays like Tattered Angels! If you use TA, it also makes them sparkly

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics