Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: New scrapbooker        (Topic#1579443)
justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Hi ladies and guys,

I have been looking around this site lately and decided to become a memeber on here to get some ideas. I have been given some old photos from both sides of my family. I even scrapbook my baby photos. Nothing big and fancy just nice background with few stickers and such. But with my family albums I'll try to get more creative. I am liking the designer Tim Holtz. I just like the old time feel to his work it cool. Is his stuff nice to do a hertiage book with?

Justie

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justartguy007

Hi Justie and welcome!

Tim Holtz has some awesome stuff out there - can't get buy without his distress inks. I think his supplies and techniques would be perfect for a heritage book.

He is teaching in my local scrapbook store in September. I wanted to sign up but the lines into the store were miles long and the phone lines were impossible to get through on signup day so I decided to pass this time.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to Henri Jean

Hi Henri,

Thanks for the kind reply I just looked at the store link on here there some good deals. But trying to watch my budget. I started on one book I realize I just put old photos on photo corncers on the plain white paper it came with and just writing the name of who they were on the page. I have found my first scrapebook in a dollar store few months ago it is leather blue. My other two scrapbooks are red leather got from Joanne it Pioneer love their albums. I got the third one from Wal Mart it a fabric brown from Colorbox.The first two scrapbook will be of my dad side of the family and the third one my mother side. I am going to redo one of the book I start on. It not done yet. Good thing I never glue down my photos. I like the photo corncers or removeable glue dots better. I guess that the photographer in me. You never know if in the future I want to remove it for something. I got most of all the photos scan and put on my extrnal hard drive. Even on cd and dvds.

Justie

MiaFrancis
Resident
MiaFrancis

Hello,

I love Tim Holtz work. I can't wait to see your albums =)

When we are in states I love to shop for scrapbook stuff in Michael's. But I'm sure you can get amazing deals everywhere. I got lot of stuff from target and walmart too =) Now since we are stationed in Germany, and craft store here on military base doesn't have much stuff I either order from amazon.com or here.

I hope you will find everything you need for your albums and really enjoy your work on your albums!

Mirka

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to MiaFrancis

Welcome! It's always good to see the guys getting involved.

Tim Holtz products are perfect for vintage/heritage. We have a guy here called Kory who is a Tim Holtz whiz, and does amazing stuff with his products.

Have a look in the General Scrapbooking forum for a (huge!) thread called PayDay-Friday started by designguyKory and you'll be able to check out his blog.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

Hey Justie!

Welcome to the neighborhood. I agree, TH has amazing stuff and is very creative. I bet you can do all that he does and even more. Don't hesitate to ask questions in here especially in the general forum and look at the gallery for inspiration. Folks in here are very helpful and friendly!!

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to RedSquirrel

Hi yeah I found the guy Kory on here when I was looking around the site. I really liked his stuff he made. Hate to say it but he was the one that got me on here as a memeber in the first place, lol. Thanks for welcoming me. I hope I do a good job on my family books. Now have to decide what Tim Holtz products to buy. Without spending alot of money. Have a good day.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Also I have been looking at cricut experssion 2 machine. It seems like a cool machine. I hear it a good one to cut. I was wondering do they have any Tim Holtz or family hertiage design that you can make with the cricut machine. I am thinking of buying some stampes of Tim Holtz. But was also think of using the circut too for help with different media with my painting or drawing if I ever get back into it. I am also looking for a good storage system for my photos. That are not in albums or scrapbook yet. Like some I can keep all 4x6 or bigger like 5x7 or 8x10 all in one place?

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Re: storage, have you checked in the Superstore right here? I don't really know what is available in the States in the stores. But if you search for "photo storage", you'll find a load of boxes, albums, plastic protectors etc, all designed to keep your photos safe and catalogued before you scrap them.

Re: a cutter. How computer savvy are you? The Cricut is a great machine, but I believe it is limited to the shapes and fonts on their cartridges which you have to buy separately. If you get a slightly dearer Silhouette or Wishblade (and there are others) you can design your own shapes on the computer and they will cut those for you, as well as any true-type font on your computer. No cartridge required. It depends on how you plan to use the machine.

Cricut do a heritage cartridge but it isn't available on this site.

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

Welcome Justie!! Great place with lots of people that will give you really good advice!!

As for Tim Holtz I'm a huge fan and Joanne's has his stuff 40% off today.

Mrs Henry got me started on the distress inks and she didn't steer me wrong absolutely love them(:

I love my cricut very much!! I hand picked out a few cartridges that I know have classic shapes that I will use continually.

From the kitchen-for the tabs and index cards
Elegant edges- highly recommend it!! Lots of nice frames(:

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Hi yes I have looked in the superstore also for some of Tim Holtz products like ink pads and some of his paper. I am thinking of either buying it on here or amazon.com, that where I shop the most. But also thinking of looking at my local stores. But looking for good quality products but not to where it'll break the bank... lol.

I have been looking at the different cutting machines. I like two of them one the cricut experssion 2 the other I think called a cameo? I am thinking of going with the experssion 2. I am computer savy. I guess the cricut becuse you can cut larger paper. I am thinking of usuing for other art projects not just for scrapbooking. I have a birthday coming up. So, going to probably buy myself a birthday present, lol.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Yes, the Cameo is the latest Silhouette. I'm trying to persuade myself that I don't need to upgrade my old original Silhouette with the Cameo.

Enjoy your birthday treat!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Welcome
I have both the Cricut Expression & the Cameo Silhouette. If I were buying one, I'd definitely go with the Cameo. It doesn't need cartridges and you can make your own designs. It cuts 12" wide and 10' long. It also does Print&Cut, so you can plan a design, print it on your printer, then put it back into the Cameo to be cut out. This can be done with the Cricut, but definitely not as easily. Both can use gel pens & markers. The Cricut can cut a bit heavier material, so if you plan to cut chipboard or light acrylic, you'd be better off with the Cricut.~Judy

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to mrsdriver5

Hi Judy,
I was looking at the Sihouette Cameo online and few youtube videos of it. I am probably going to go with the Cameo. Since I have studied to be a Graphic designer, I think the Cameo is a good fit. I like the you can download images you like for only $1.00 and not have to find space for your cartridges. I can use of the the cool fonts I download from free sites. I have some colorbok cardstock as well as some pattern paper of the same product. I even have some paper house double side paper, and I have DCWV Premium Photo Stack paper that kind of thick cardstock. Are those ok to use on the cameo? Sorry, if it sounds like a stupid question. I am new to the scrapbook world. Just want to know before I save up to buy almost $300.00 worth of a machine to find out it not going to cut good with the paper I have. If I get it I'll have to buy it online I don't think it in any of the stores I live near. I see the cricut but not the Cameo. I dont plan on cutting with chipboard just manily paper mostly for my scrapbooks, paintings and drawings. Thanks for all the help and tips.

Justie

Edited by justartguy007 on 08-09-12 01:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I don't do many heritage pages but when I do the Tim Holtz "must have" distress ink for me is Vintage Photo. There are also some Blue shades I use a lot and Barn door - but if I had to choose the one I use the most, it would be "Vintage Photo" for the heritage albums.

For my travel pages I use it mostly on the edges although I bought speciality paper on the Big Island (Hawaii) yesterday that you can cover with the distress inks. I'm looking forward to playing with that when I get home in a couple weeks.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Henri Jean

Justie - yes, the Cameo cuts most kinds of paper and card-stock. You just have to play with the settings and get the blade depth/speed right. It won't cut chipboard, and it struggles with cheap, thin paper. I haven't managed to get my original Silhouette to cut mulberry (or some of those handmade papers with bits in them) cleanly either. I don't know whether the Cricut can do those? Maybe the Cameo can?

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

Sorry...I just got home from a road trip and between recouping from that and the heat, I haven't been on here much. Your paper should work fine with the Cameo. It takes playing around to find the perfect settings and for heavier papers you'd probably want to set it for double cutting.

If you search for a cameo blog site, you'll come up with lots of hints and good suggestions. The main problem people have had is getting a bad blade. My original was bad, but Silhouette sent me a free replacement as soon as I called them and the new one works great. They were 'sposed to be working on the problem, so maybe bad blades are history.

Every Tuesday the silhouette site has a free graphic to download, plus a page of graphics on sale for 50ยข. Occasionally they also have sales on holiday graphics. I bought the premium plan that lets me download $150 worth of graphics each month. I paid for a year in advance, so it seems like I got a month free...or something like that. The $150 credit is put into my account each month and can be rolled-over for 60 days, I think it is. All the info is on the silhouette site.

My cameo was a Christmas gift from my family, but it was ordered from overstock.com and they said it arrived quickly. I know some have ordered from other places, but sometimes the shipping time is slow, so it depends how quickly you want your new toy~Judy

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Thanks ladies,

For the good advice. I'll be checking out more about the cameo for sure. I just went to JoAnn, Hobby Lobby and Michaels today. I wanted to get some more page protectors, I got some other stuff like two boxes for my 12 x 12 paper. Got one from JoAnn and Michael. I even bought some pen that called: slick writers, it came with three in a pack. So going to try them on back of some photos to write information on. I also bought this glue product called: 2 way glue. I guess if you leave it wet it a permanent glue if you let it dry clear then it can be removeable glue. That what made me want to get it for sure. I even bought a new trimmer it Fiskars I guess it has a wire in it to help show you where it'll cut. I also bought three of these snap and load from Pionerr. They can replace the post in your scrapbook album. I saw a few videos of how these are put together. Finally decided to buy three of them. Since I have three scrapbooks. I still need to start on the other two. The best part is most not all my stuff I bought from the stores they were having a 40 or 50% sale. The only highest I had to pay at JoAnn was like $39.00. The other stores I only bought a few items some were 40% off I paid under $10.00. So, I saved a few bucks here and there, lol. I decided to get JoAnn coupons in the mail. So, if I decide to go to JoAnn again I can use them to save more money.

Justie

Edited by justartguy007 on 08-10-12 03:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

J's also takes coupons from other stores and they have a phone app so they can just scan your phone and you don't need to cut out coupons...and not lose them after cutting them out. Both Mikes & J's have apps for iPhones & droids. I don't know about the other big craft stores since none are around where I live :>(

It sounds like you're off to a good start for scrapbooking by figuring out how to save money so you can buy more stash with your extra cash. Have fun with your new purchases!

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007

Yeah I am I want to get some scrapbook paper for my heritage books. I have some but want to get more to choice from. I saw on the superstore on this site. A collection from Bo pee paper collection. I think that what it called. I know it has a Bo in the name, lol. They have on sell 12 x 12 paper and 6x6 paper pad that I am thinking of getting. I can use the 6x6 paper pad to matte photos on. So, I don't waste my 12x12 paper. I think if I buy this paper I'll be set and won't buy anymore for while.

Justie

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics