Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Matting Question        (Topic#1579459)
wrenie 
New Kid On the Block

Hi, I am new here and need some advice on matting. Is there any tried and true methods to getting my matting cut right? I have tried and tried and it just isn't working.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to wrenie

Honestly, I've never measured anything - I just eyeball it and use my paper cutter.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to wrenie

Depending upon the size you want your mat to be, you can just tack on a little extra. For example, if you want a half inch mat on a 4x6 photo, cut your mat to 4.5"x6.5".
You can go thicker or thinner to whichever size you like.

I just eyeball mine. I place the item/photo/etc down on the back of the paper I'm going to use as mat and make a pencil mark on the horizontal side and one on the vertical side. Thats where I cut.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

wrenie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Here Kitty

Thank you Amy. I have been trying to eyeball it and it's not working out to well for me.

wrenie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Kim222

Thank you Amy. I am going to try this one. Sounds simple enough. I have tried eyeballing it and that is not working to well for me.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-06-12 12:19 PM
In response to wrenie

Welcome to sb.com

I glue my photo to the matting first, and then use the guides on my cutter along with eyeballing it to trim the matting down.

wrenie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Thank you for sharing your technique with me.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
Depending upon the size you want your mat to be, you can just tack on a little extra. For example, if you want a half inch mat on a 4x6 photo, cut your mat to 4.5"x6.5".
You can go thicker or thinner to whichever size you like.

This is what I do. After I cut the mat, I center and adhere the photo.

I also love to use Mat Stacks. They are the perfect size for standard photos. I usually pick up a few whenever I see a sale.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Luvmyfam

As the others have said, I don't measure either. Just eyeball it.

What exactly is "not working" for you?

wrenie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Bxr-Linda

When I crop my pics and then try to get a mat, or several mats to come out right I am always off on one side or another.

wrenie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Luvmyfam

That works fine for me if I haven't cropped my photo. My problem comes when I have cropped a photo and want to do several of the same size. I just can't seem to get them right.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to wrenie

You need Perfect Layers Ruler.. I've had mine for years. Got it on QVC, but I know they sell other places now. Just google it. and I know you can find it on utube.
It's basically a ruler with a little bitty lip set at different depths. You bump paper or picture up to that edge. Hold iit and run craft knife down side of ruler (which has a metal edge). Perfect border every time. It goes from like 1/16" to like 1" if you get all three rulers. I have two because that's all the original sets were. I use the 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 all the time.

justartguy007
Expert
justartguy007
In response to SherylEb

Like others said I eyeball mines when I matted and sometimes I even use a pencil to mark where I want to trim. It just depends on what will work for me at the moment.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to justartguy007

I crop my picture and then I attach it to the mat and then I crop my mat. I pretty much just eyeball it. Remember this is about having fun with scrapbooking and that it doesn't have to be perfect!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to thehappyscrapper8

I eyeball it most of the time, but then again, I don't always mind having the mats be different sizes. Sometimes, for a larger focus photo, it is nice to have the mat larger. I also don't have a problem with the tops and bottom dimensions being different from the sides.

But I have found that a centering ruler will help equalize measurements if you want to keep things more precise. Even if you crop a photo, as long as you can find the center, with a little math (or just the ability to count the little portions of an inch/or whole milimeters)you can then determine how far out from that the matting should go... both ways... from the sides and the top and bottoms. It also helps place dots and gems and etc. at precise increments. Somehow, it is a little easier for me than a normal ruler.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to KatieJo

Most of the time I eyeball the matting. I bought Perfect Layers years ago and never used them, but I have been using them the last few weeks.

Juansmom
Guru
Juansmom
In response to dotfree

Use a good cutter like one of these below. They have inch measurements n its very easy to use.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to Juansmom

Honestly just sounds like you need to measure it. That and using a good cutter are the only ways you're going to get it 100% right in my opinion.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to scrapbooksketches-Expert

Everyone please note that the above post by "scrapbooksketches-Expert " is an exact copy of wrenie's reply from August 6, which experience has shown me is typically a sign that an account is possibly preparing for spam and in any case is not on the up-and-up.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

I'm going to just throw this out there, but how about a mat cutter? You can cut different thicknesses and its perfectly square every time. Plus you can make beveled edges if its a thick material.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics